Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toolbox essentials?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

evilmonkee wrote: »
    I think my toolbox is going to be much larger than anticipated!!!

That's the nature of 'em. There's nothing like the right tool for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Tea bag's, small bottle of red sauce and a decent stanley knife. I spent thousands on tool's but i'm more in the engineering side of things then when i moved into my house and started doing it up i found i need a whole new tool box. aldi etc had some great cheap bit's and piece's for general house work. But i do have an expensive et of sparks screwdrivers a decent multi meter and wire snip's/wirestripper. A must for any serious DIYer

I have not a bad word to say about Aldi/lidl tools, for the price, I've found them quite ok, even good. Ok, they dont come close to real good stuff, but for the once off/intermittant/rare use, they are quite good. Have gotten allsorts inexpensively there, this comes from someone that has a few snap on/bluetool/teng among others in my scattered tools. There are certain things I would prefer to have quality stuff but mostly they are quite ok, the items you mentioned I'd agree, I dont think any cheap snips will keep their edge anyway, but I got a tin snips there and it does the job fine,among many other things.
    Ok I know you were joking but the goggles, dust mask, gloves and at least decent shoes (i.e. not sandles) should be considered essential.

Considering how many accidents happen with lawnmowers etc. I'm surprised that I haven't heard of serious injuries caused by inexperienced people using the equipment now cheaply available from Aldi & Lidl.

I'd say that comes more from the person using them, as you say, you haven't heard much though :D
    fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself, have few bits in the toolbox. Still, i wont do a bit of DIY without safety glasses and if required steel toes, feel naked without them after years of using them, and the few times I didnt put me right back on track.
    An 11 spanner? In all my years I can honestly say I've not used one. Not even once.

:)

I've always found the 11, 13, 17 and 19 quite common 10/12 a bit alright and 14,15,16 not so much, 11, Id come across that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

A rubber mallet, also known as a persuader...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A heat gun (lidl's one is excellent)

One of those profiled paint scrapers with the blade at right angles to the shaft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

With Merch on most of his points. Most of my own tools are Snap on teng or brit tool but thats just because i expect to still have them in 20 years and as far as pliers go I try to buy knipex as much as I can. There expensive but much higher quality carbon steel in them. I know I should wear safety boots but the place I'm in now is more to do with fiddly stuff than heavy pumps and motors. I also find method statements are great for oil spills if you use about 200 Of them it should soak most of it up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Oh, don't forget a stirring stick.

You have to have a stirring stick, and try keep it for as long as possible. Over time it'll triple in thickness with layers of paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Unusual tool i got recently was a set of broken bolt extractors (Dont buy these they are only if you are working with machines etc every day) DIYer probably would never use them. Crikey they are great I use to bring machine parts with snapped of bolts to an Engineer to Extract. Now i can get the stud ends off in about 30 seconds sweet! My new favorite tool:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I also find method statements are great for oil spills if you use about 200 Of them it should soak most of it up :D

Like that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

fergal.b wrote: »
    A pencil you can never find one when you need one.:D

It's behind your ear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,625 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have never owned or needed a socket set, and while I can see how a ring spanner might be handy, I don't have any of those either. The OP is doing a bit of running repairs and hanging pictures, I doubt he/she is going to be repairing the boiler or fitting a kitchen.

The basic list is pretty good, I agree I would add a cheap hammer drill and a reasonably good electric screwdriver (ask for them for christmas!), but everything else can be got as needed.

A rechargable electric screwdriver is a blessing if you are putting together flatpack furniture. Try to find one that has a decent amount of power but is still reasonably light in your hand.

You are more likely to need decorating stuff in the short term than loads of tools. Yes, a stirring stick is vital, has to be flat, bits of dowel are no good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

An 11 spanner? In all my years I can honestly say I've not used one. Not even once.

if you've ever worked on any american machinery, youll find a fairly common bolthead at 7/16... if you have no imperial tools... size 11 spanner is as good as youll get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I POSTED THIS LIST BEFORE.
    it may come in handy

TOOLS EXPLAINED

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh*t!'

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

MOLE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for setting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub from which you are trying to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing a walls integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground, after you have installed your new brake shoes, and trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut perfectly good aluminum sheet metal into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and also for butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used primarily for making hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate those more expensive parts that are immediately adjacent to the object we are actually trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on their contents, such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund cheques, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while being worn.

F*CK-IT TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'F*CK-IT' at the top of your lungs. It is also most often, the next tool that you will need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Depending on a persons skill level (and no matter what that is, there is always something you can pick up from extra information, obviously a plasterer doesnt need that infor, but maybe some on basic electrical work) what I'd recommend to the OP or anyone really is (not that i actually keep them in my toolbox) a readers digest DIY book or any similar book on DIY/the topic you are preparing to do a job on, or get a book on a specific topic from the library. If its not wholly transferable information (like the readers digest, which seems to have UK specific information), its mostly comparable and at the least a good start.

No point going getting all the tools, then go in all guns blazing :D and then find (realise/it begins to dawn on you after you have drilled/sawed/cut something) there is something necessary/preparatory work that can be easily explained in a paragraph or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Comes in handy when you try changing your car battery sometimes.

Advertisement