Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/Advise Needed

Options
  • 20-07-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have garden lights up since last month and it would appear that they have blown the transformer. The lights came as 4 but i bought 2 sets and linked 6 of them to the one transformer. A friend had a look the weekend and thought that maybe the 6 was to much for a 12v Transformer and thats why it blew, the advice i need is;

1. Were can I buy another 12v transformer?
    2. Is it likely the 6 lights are too much for one 12v, if so is there anything I can get to get around this and were can I get it.

I would like to have it sorted by the weekend as we are having a gathering so hopefully they can be got instore somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well you need to be talking in Watts not numbers and voltage. The traffo being 12V does not limit the lights it feeds, the power rating of the traffo will do that.

Roughly speaking the traffo should say something like

12Vand 2 Amp this = 12x2=24W
    So it could supply 4 number 5 W lights, but if you put 6 x 5W=30W it cold blow the traffo.

How many watts does each bulb/lamp use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hey Stoner

its says on the transformer 12v -3.5A.

The bulbs came in a 4 pack and said 20w-4pk, not sure if that mean 20w each or 5w each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

12v 3.5A = 42 watt transformers more or less.

If them bulbs are 20 watt each then 2 is the most that can go on one transformer. It should be written on the bulbs what wattage they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yep 6 x 20W (=120W) bulbs is too much for a 40W transformer ;)

Just checked and the bulbs are 5 watt each. so that should be okay from what you all say above.

Do any of you know where I can get a new transformer? Tried googling but cant see anything other than a web order

Thanks a mill for your help

• Advertisement

Bump! Anybody help with where I could get one of these no luck so far in likes of homebase, bandq etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Soups123 wrote: »
    Bump! Anybody help with where I could get one of these no luck so far in likes of homebase, bandq etc

Electrical wholesaler is the best place to get items like that.

Advertisement