Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming in NVIDIA NVS 3100M

Options
  • 20-07-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Ive got a lenovo T410 laptop and want to find out which games I can/can't download, it's got 8Gb RAM and an i5 cpu (2.40GHz) only problem is my graphics card is an NVIDIA NVS3100M which is a 1.0 on the 1.0 - 7.9 scale thing...
    anyway, anyone able to suggest what my limit in terms of capability is? I read somewhere that borderlands will play on it but I don't have a clue so I said id ask here first...any suggestions welcome

p.s. FPS or action/strategy are my preference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Nvidia NVS 3100M or Nvidia Quadro NVS 3100M is a business graphics card

Passmark is only a rough guide, but it scores 280 while the intel HD family chips rate at 370. You'll be able to play old games up to about Counter Strike Source, anything heavier though will crash and burn.

In terms of RTS try the likes of DOW or w/e, wouldnt be in a rush to play COH.

Its also depends on how pick you are about a decent rate, if you're willing to go low res at 20fps you can play more modern, but to play well, she's limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

well im not too picky about the frame rate as long as the thing is playable...what about mw1?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Did a stress test with counter strike and the result i got back was just over 64 fps mean anything???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why these laptops got so much r and decent CPU, but bog standard rubbish gpu...

Cs 64 fps is allright for such old game. Try mw1?

If you after rts them go for Starcraft 2. It very nicely optimised for Any pc. I will be surprised if you wont be able to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did a stress test with counter strike and the result i got back was just over 64 fps mean anything???

Even with the new crap loaded onto it CS:S is very light. You'll probably get about 15fps.
    Why these laptops got so much r and decent CPU, but bog standard rubbish gpu...

Because its a business class unit, office tasks have no need for GPU power, once you can run Aero you're sorted. People constantly buy laptops thinking "ah it'll be grand, I'll get the games to work". The fact is unless you go up to the 1K marker you wont get anything anyway decent for modern games. Mate of mine bought a Studio XPS for like 800 thinking ahhh great, can play games in college. It strugles and overheats with TF2, and that was released like a year before he bought it. Desktops people, DESKTOPS:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this will give you an idea of what it can do
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-3100M.24738.0.html

and check some games you want to run with this site
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Advertisement