Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike mirrors on a bicycle?

• 20-07-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

I was looking to put mirrors on a bike I am waiting to get and I kind of like some motor bike ones. The bike is a pedelec so can handle a little extra weight but I was wondering if anybody has done it and has an thought on it. I am guessing they will be a bit heavier than ones for an actual bicycle but reckon I could live with it.

Everything I read suggest mirrors on a bike are actually a pretty good idea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I was tempted to put a set of Oberon on a motorbike a while back.

You'd have to verify the clamp/bar size from motorbike to whatever is on your bicycle etc, but no reason as to why it shouldn't work.

Presumably you do lifesavers when turning, as relying solely on mirrors is obviously dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is a clamp that motor bike mirrors go into that will fit handle bars. I would still be signalling. I am kind of going to pimp the bike for a laugh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorbike-Mirror-kawasaki-klx-klr-kle-klx250-KLX650-ZZR-/120736202643?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c1c703f93

can go for one for bicycle too

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-BIRDCAGE-BICYCLE-CHOPPER-CRUISER-LOWRIDER-MIRROR-/330521472557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf49d6e2d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think they come free with a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've seen lightweight bar-ends specifically for bicycles before but I can't remember where. Personally, I'm so used to having a good field of view and looking over my shoulder while cycling that I don't think I'd get much use from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Do you not already have a shoulder you can look over?

• Advertisement

I though AH was the main place for unhelpful comments.
    Grow up and if you have nothing useful to say don't bother

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I though AH was the main place for unhelpful comments. Grow up and if you have nothing useful to say don't bother

Maybe you should quit moaning and take questions concerning your motorised cycle to a forum about motorcycles.

boards.ie > Sports > Cycling

The clue is in the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Mirrors would look deadly on a Bad-ass Low-rider style bike: Street Low Rider Otherwise they are just lame to the max!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Enduro mirrors. Lightweight and fold out of the way if you need to.
    http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/mirrors.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

mirrors on a bike...........some motor bike ones...........pedelec............ mirrors on a bike are actually a pretty good idea............

219029e7_crying-native-american.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Everything I read suggest mirrors on a bike are actually a pretty good idea

What have you read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Busch & Muller are one of the manufacturers that do mirrors for bicycles.

My missus and I were recommended to put mirrors on our bikes when we bought our child trailer, we were even given some B&M one, but neither of us have been able to actually to take the step of attaching them. They are the thin end of a wedge that'll culminate in wearing sandals (with socks), long hair, and clothes made from hemp. There's them that'll say that once you've fitted mirrors on your bike you'll never look back, but that seems to just defeat the purpose really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Would you not be better off starting simple and cheap, see if you like the idea?

helmet_mirror.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

doozerie wrote: »
    Busch & Muller are one of the manufacturers that do mirrors for bicycles.

My missus and I were recommended to put mirrors on our bikes when we bought our child trailer, we were even given some B&M one, but neither of us have been able to actually to take the step of attaching them. They are the thin end of a wedge that'll culminate in wearing sandals (with socks), long hair, and clothes made from hemp. There's them that'll say that once you've fitted mirrors on your bike you'll never look back, but that seems to just defeat the purpose really...

I see what you did there...:p

@OP, if you wear a cycle helmet and you can't be bothered looking over your shoulder there are plenty that can be attached directly to the helmet. It'll definitely look less ****e too, which is a bonus. I'd suggest something like this. Obviously you'll have to fit it to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Raam wrote: »
    What have you read?

Not the euro rules and thats for damn sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

briano wrote: »
    Not the euro rules and thats for damn sure

Do pedelecs even qualify under Euro rules?

Idleater wrote: »
    Do pedelecs even qualify under Euro rules?

Only when it's Cancellara's

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Mirrors would look deadly on a Bad-ass Low-rider style bike: Street Low Rider Otherwise they are just lame to the max!
    It's not far off it check out the image

For those who think I am too lazy to look over my shoulder bear in mind I have been cycling along time. City traffic mostly and I reckon that mirrors make sense at this point due to my experiences. Articles like the one below seem to suggest it is a good idea too.
    http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/selecting-a-mirror-for-your-bicycle-tour/

As this is a cycling forum I thought I might get some useful info as it is about cycling and includes commuting but obviously some people think they are far superior because they do it for recreation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

if bikes were supposed to have mirrors they'd come with mirrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That bike NEEDS mirrors.
    F. the begrudgers, GO for it.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That bike NEEDS mirrors.
    F. the begrudgers, GO for it.

Thanks. It isn't quite a low rider but I think it can take being pimped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Go for it. Your bike can take the pimpin; it's a mad looking thing! In a good way :)
    Surely having mirrors will be extra safe. Anyone with half a brain won't rely on them completely and forget to check blind spots before making manouveres.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I've got a shed load of different mirrors I've tried out and got fed up with. I think the problem is you just don't have a steady platform to mount the mirrors on, plus size and position limitations mean you will have to look back anyway.
    John Franklin sums it up in Cyclecraft

Well, it sounds like you have made up your mind. Get a mirror if you want one and best of luck with it. Please don't use it a replacement for looking over your shoulder though!

That said...
    ...Articles like the one below seem to suggest it is a good idea too.
    http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/selecting-a-mirror-for-your-bicycle-tour/...
    I’ve met people in the past who have been hit by a car, attacked from behind, and pushed off the road by a passing RV. But the reason I don’t have a story like that is because I refuse to get on my bike without a mirror.

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever come across. If we ignore "the attacked from behind" one which is just insane (What are you meant to do? Wear it at all times? You're on a bike, how are they catching up to attack you? is he talking about racing?) the other two make no sense. How is having a mirror on your bike going to stop you being hit by a car or pushed off the road by an RV? If an RV is going to push you off the road a mirror is going to do exactly nothing to prevent it and if you need the mirror to be aware of a vehicle that weighs several tons approaching from behind, then sorry, but take your earphones out and look over your shoulder once in a while. Or take a train. (Just to Clarify, I am not talking about the OP here, I mean the person who wrote the article)

As for getting hit by a car, speaking from personal experience, the only thing a mirror would have done when I got hit by one would have been to break off the ground and/or bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My 2cents...

I had a mirror on my bike....when i was 9 years old!. Even then I didn't use it..the Mirror vibrated so badly, you couldn't see anyting!.

Mirrors work on motorbikes as Motorbikes have better suspension and bigger tyres then bicycles. Motorbikes also travel in the middle of the lane where the road surface is usually better then the lefthand side of the lane that cyclists have to use.

I would imagine a mirror attached to a Helmet would be a better option. (I still wouldn't bother with one myself though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

kenmc wrote: »
    if bikes were supposed to have mirrors they'd come with mirrors.
    if bikes were supposed to have pedals.. :P

I think some people are just set in there ways. The laws of physics can't be denied. I am comfortable looking over my shoulder but fully aware I am not an owl and it involves changing my balance and does not give me full visibility.

Having more visibility of what is behind you is going to be better than none unless you off balance yourself. That is when you are not turning

As I have posted pictures of what I am looking at it should be apparent it is a fashion accessory as much as an added aid.

Motor bike have mirrors because as it is more difficult to turn your head in the helmets and they are moving at a greater speed. Why people think because they are moving at slower speeds and can turn their head is better seems to make little sense.

What does seem to be a valid point is the mirrors may not be stable enough to be of use but I think that depends on the size of the mirror. Motor bike again vibrate a fair amount and they are of use on them.

I am not some safety nut as I think cycle helmets may be of little real use and actually put you in more danger due increased pressure on the neck in the even of falls and the fact cars seem to driver closer. I wear a helmet that is less obvious for that very reason. Not the same code standards but I reckon it will protect me as much as a cycle helmet actually would. There appears to be very little relevant information stating that a helmet actual protects very well.

I have had drivers try to drive me off the road so I don't see why the statement about being aware some driver is bearing down on you is so ridiculous. By being aware of my surrounding I was able to take evasive action but it was still brown shorts time. Maybe it would have been less so if I spotted them earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A motorbike mirror would seem way too heavy and I have seen bicycle ones in shops on a rare occasion. Personally I prefer a situation where I have to always shoulder check. Even a little bicycle can have a surprising big blind spot. Hard to decide with helmets, sometimes wear one, sometimes don't. Go for it, the mirrors, anyhow.

This thread is gettin' a bit mad...

Only place for a mirror on a bike are when;

1. Cali Style Lo-rider
    2. Recumbrant
    3. Kids trailer attached
    4. Kids seat on the back of the bike
    5. You cannot turn your neck for muscular/medical reasons

Anything else is a load of Bee-ol-icks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ray, Ray, Ray,
    Listen to me, please!!!!
    Get mirrors for THAT bike, please.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Articles like the one below seem to suggest it is a good idea too.
    http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/selecting-a-mirror-for-your-bicycle-tour/

That article also includes links to buy the "recommended" products. Call me cynical but they may be a little biased....

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ray, Ray, Ray,
    Listen to me, please!!!!
    Get mirrors for THAT bike, please.

E.
    No worries I am getting mirrors it is just a matter or which ones. There are some nicer motor bike ones but they might be too heavy. Already have valve caps and a silly bell.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-x-Metal-Grenade-Car-Tyre-Valve-Dust-Cap-Covers-Red-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5f94ddb5QQitemZ250711694773QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/insect-style-bicycle-bike-bell-ringer-black-70-80db-55826

plus for the winter

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/skull-style-motorcycle-hiking-party-windproof-face-mask-80060

Might get these too

http://cgi.ebay.com/1x-Bike-Car-Valve-Caps-Light-Tyre-Wheel-Neon-LED-Lamp-/120752328625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d664fb1

People might think me a bit of a fool but be safe be seen :cool:

It is a pity there aren't any fun hi vis jackets or vests.

Another link on mirror use for those thinking it is one source trying to sell things.

http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm

We will look out for you on the descent down from Howth summit! :D :pac:

ccbike.jpg

I look more like this so won't get as many smart arse remarks from people as they won't be hiding behind computers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I look more like this so won't get as many smart arse remarks from people as they won't be hiding behind computers ;)

Does Santa know you stole the rug from in front of his fire place?

167882.jpg

By the way - is that a trike? Are you riding a pedelec trike????????????

• Advertisement

Careful now y'all, there's a 12 gauge under that poncho! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

To be fair, mirrors will be the least of your problems in this regard, and actually fit the look pretty well. Should take the heat of the men in tights for a bit...

You could do with a sombrero to finish it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

i have one of those handlebar mirrors on my road bike and they are a help with traffic approaching from the rear,i find it hard to do a full owl turn and use the mirror all the time now,when i try to look over my shoulder i tend to stray out on to the middle of the road and for me the mirror is a safer option,and its great when cycling through traffic,and no one has ever noticed it unless i pointed it out so they can be discreet for the purists out there,regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

One does not need the neck of an owl to see behind him. Upper torso can also rotate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Ray, kudos for your choice of bike and interesting range of accessories. The valve caps are hilarious! It's a great project in the making and you'll stand out a mile once you're up and running.

As far as mirrors are concerned, my own probably wouldn't really fit the bill for you as it's purely functional and would have minimal pimp value. But FWIW, this is it:

152398.JPG

It's a cannibalised version of the original Mirrycle road bike mirror, which was designed to sit on top of old style brake levers and accommodate a brake cable (before the advent of levers with integrated shifters). You can still buy this mirror, as there are plenty of older road bikes being kept on the road in less affluent countries. At $18, it’s pretty economical compared to most motorcycle mirrors.

I've drilled it out and fixed it to a sawn-off MTB bar-end clamp. It has a 3" diameter convex lens. The lens and other parts are manufactured to a high standard. The image quality is very good and there is no problem with vibration. When assembling, you can set the amount of friction between moving parts so that the mirror position can be subsequently adjusted by hand (i.e. without the need for tools) and will then remain in the new position indefinitely.

Mirrycle also sell all the constituent parts individually, so if you break a lens you can get a replacement without forking out for a complete unit.

I use it a lot on urban/suburban journeys. The big advantage over turning your head/torso to look behind is that it is much faster to glance at the mirror. This makes it very easy to re-check what’s happening behind every second or two if the occasion demands, enabling you to constantly monitor a developing situation. Of course, it doesn’t provide a complete picture but it captures most of the important stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Has anyone seen the ones that fit in the end of your handlebars? Met a guy with them last week heading up past Beacon Medical, they were alright, said he got them abroad, very discreet.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the ones that fit in the end of your handlebars? Met a guy with them last week heading up past Beacon Medical, they were alright, said he got them abroad, very discreet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Italian-Road-Bike-racing-mirror-Buy-Now-/220385014555

CramCycle wrote:
    Has anyone seen the ones that fit in the end of your handlebars?

These ones fit in the ends of drop bars. I've not seen any in the flesh but for someone looking for a mirror that is less likely to stab them in a fall they seem like not a bad option (though I'd wonder about whether they'd batter your knees under certain riding conditions):

31AC2h7rVIL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

From what I remember on a motorbike you're meant to look behind you rather than use mirrors before turning etc.

Think they could be more hassle in the city than anything, too wide, attracting vandals/thieves etc.

First thing you want to do is turn the handlebars upside down like a board racer...

DSC01948.jpg

studiorat wrote: »
    From what I remember on a motorbike you're meant to look behind you rather than use mirrors before turning etc.

Think they could be more hassle in the city than anything, too wide, attracting vandals/thieves etc.

Its known as the lifesaver. You could argue they will deter thieves as they make the bike less attractive and more immediately noticeable.

Also amazon won't allow a company in the UK to ship those handlebar end ones to the ROI, amazon has some odd f'in rules sometimes.

@CramCycle, Might be worth contacting velo.ie as they sell a variety of mirrors I believe - or used to, at least, that's where we got our B&M ones. They might be able to source the bar end ones.

@CramCycle, Might be worth contacting velo.ie as they sell a variety of mirrors I believe - or used to, at least, that's where we got our B&M ones. They might be able to source the bar end ones.

I am going to get them shipped to a friend in Belfast, I was tempted to send them a mail about it not being a big deal and how I would pay extra for shipping but then I couldn't be bothered

These ones fit in the ends of drop bars. I've not seen any in the flesh but for someone looking for a mirror that is less likely to stab them in a fall they seem like not a bad option (though I'd wonder about whether they'd batter your knees under certain riding conditions):

31AC2h7rVIL.jpg
    they are the same as the one i have,i only have the one on my right side and its been great for me,when on a backroad with the wind in your ears its the biz,on a dull day in low light you wont see all cars but in good light its a help

One does not need the neck of an owl to see behind him. Upper torso can also rotate.
    you may be be flexible enough to do so and perhaps most cyclists are but not every one is and although i can manage it i cant do it in a safe manner as i tend to drift out towards the centre of the road when i do so,Im also a very practical person and if a mirror aids me in any way i will use one,regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

One does not need the neck of an owl to see behind him.
    Why didn't you tell me earlier? I wouldn't have butchered that owl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement