Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

set up files for shool perspectus

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi - I have been asked to design a prospectus folder/ cover for a secondary school. Front Page 1. Inside 2 and 3 and Back page 4. A local printer has quoted them for the print job. Would it be enough to set up the files as 4 * A4 pages or would i have to allow for folds also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

When you say folder/cover how does it hold the pages inside? do they sit loose in a simple A3 folded to A4? Do they sit loose in a pocket flap so they don't fall out? Are there staples inside on the fold to make a booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 katuxini

Thanks for reply.

The only info i have is that its a folder which will have a pocket flap to hold A4 pages . The printer will be printing the covers and the school will print their own A4 pages to go inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

If it has a pocket flap it will be die cut i.e. cut to special shape that isnt a simple rectangle/square. This means fitting it to a die forme which unless you supplied a specific shape to the printer they will have on file. They would keep standard formes for folders etc. They will need to email you the keyline of the folder. i.e. the shape of it as it looks opened out flat with the pocket unassembled revealing the tabs, folds that put it together. This is usually supplied in a vector format such as EPS or PDF. You would need to place this into your design application and layout the cover to fit the keyline. First to fit the keyline as sent and then to fit the keyline flipped horizontally for the other side (pages 4+1 and then pages 2+3). It should be easy to figure out which is outside and which is inside, The flap is normally on the right inside and therefore left outside. Most importantly, add at least 3mm bleed in your design around the outside of the keyline. That is your artwork should extend to 3mm wider all around the keyline. This part will be cut away but avoids a white edge appearing where the print stops on the cut edge as the blade cuts into your extended ink area. The best format to give them is PDF set at hi res with fonts embedded. What design application are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

The printer should have a cutting-form template that he can send you for the folder that shows the pocket shape and gluing tabs - if not then he doesn't know what he's quoting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ps. Spellchecker

• Advertisement
Advertisement