Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuts to Domino Scheme

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

I heard a friend recently was told there are to be cuts to the domino programme, does anyone know what these may be. A friend asked me to try find out by posting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I haven't heard anything. I'm 14 weeks and on the domino scheme myself. I was at my first booking appointment two weeks ago with the midwives and they didn't say anything to me about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think each Domino scheme is unique to the hospital it is in rather than a group thing... I'd contact the hospital your friend is attending and ask them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I've heard a rumour about proposed cuts to the Wexford scheme, I don't know about anywhere else. San Fran07, are you out there (she often knows about such things)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Funny you should say it but my friend is actually on the wexford scheme and was told by someone in the hospital that there are to be cuts but as yet they dont know what they are, was just wondering if there was someone else with some insider knowledge of the whole thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Yes sadly the DOMINO scheme has been cut - effective immediately.

It has been quietly pulled - Mothers have not been notified. Unless women get on the phone today to the hospital manager and complain loudly the option of Midwife led care will never be reinstated. The same thing happened in Galway a few years ago. If anyone has contacts in Wexford radio start calling them too.

For updates as they are received visit the AIMS Ireland Facebook page. There's also a group called Save Wexford General Hospital run by Seamus O'Brien who is fighting these latest round of cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I too heard about the cuts to the Wexford Domino scheme - it's a real shame. Many women I know attended the Domino clinic and were so happy with their care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just heard from my Sister in law, she used the service for her last 2. She's livid, what happened to the mothers right to choose? Surely the Dominoes scheme saved money in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I thought the point of the Scheme was to save money too? Considering it costs €4000 for three nights in a private room, it probably costs the government only just less than that in overall cost of care for a woman taking up a bed for three nights in a public ward. The domino scheme was supposed to be cheaper because you weren't taking up a bed for three nights, with some of those savings being offset by having a midwife visit you for five days (though the cost of that wouldn't be nearly the same, think of how many they could visit in one day?). Maybe they'll still have the Early Transfer Home Scheme, but not the midwife-led clinics for pregnancy care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

when you say the cuts are effective immediately does that mean any new people looking to go on the scheme cant or is it for existing users also, my sis-in-law has an appointment with Dominos on 3rd August but now doesnt know what to do and cant get in touch with anyone in the Dominos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keelinmartin

I too am trying to get hold of the dominos midwives.. I had booken in for november and was told that even though they were short on staff due to maternity leave, that they would be back into full swing for November. I was asked to go to the Ante Natal clinic for the first appointment as they were short staffed, but that for my next appointment, i would be meeting them! we had to wait for over 2.5 hours from 9.30 am before we were able to see the doctor (scan was done straight away at 9.30, delay being the doctor). the reason i went with Dominos this time, on my 3rd baby, was because it was a quicker and more efficient service, where there was no waiting for hours to get seen for a couple of minutes by the doctor and then to get home so quick afterwards and not left on a ward for a couple of days wrecked tired and trying to look after a newborn baby. now what are my choices...none! we have only 1 route to follow, and that is to wait in disasterous que lengths along with every other pregnant woman in the county! we deserve more than this and I feel really disappointed and let down once again by our health service...effecting me more this time than ever before. sorry this is so long, but need to let off some steam and some genuine upset in this!:mad:

• Advertisement

Nobody can get any answers - anyone booked in with DOMINO will just go back to the regular busy clinics.....

Defend the Domino/Home Birth Service in Wexford Public Meeting, Saturday 23 at 4 p.m. in Riverbank Hotel and I think it'll be on the Alan Corcoran radio show tomorrow (South East Radio)? AIMS have all the updates on their FB page.

Wexford's DOMINO scheme will be discussed on Monday morning on East Coast Radio (think it's 10am)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

I am one of the more than 100 women in Wexford that are in limbo. The Domino Scheme appears to have been axed by the hospital. I only found out on Thursday and that was only because I tried to reschedule an appointment.

I have only 6 weeks to go before my due date. If I start labour who do I contact now? Who is in charge of the care of my baby and I?

The maternity unit in Wexford is already stretched beyond it's limits. The home births, early discharges and home visits that the Domino midwives do surely take some of the pressure off the Labour Ward. I shudder to think what is going to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Wexford's DOMINO scheme will be discussed on Monday morning on East Coast Radio (think it's 10am)

It is on South East Radio, Monday 25th of July after the news at 10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

AIMS have an online petition for anyone interested in defending the Wexford service.
    http://www.petitiononline.ie/petition/defend-the-domino-home-birth-service-in-wexford/1285
    I'm not sure how much good it will do though, once these decisions are made, it's difficult to go back :mad:

Advertisement