Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore East - old pilots station

Options
  • 20-07-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have recently been wondering about the old pilot house on top of the head behind the old ice production plant in dunmore harbour. I went for a walk up around it a few months back and noticed that it had double glazed windows (smashed to bits obviously). This measn it must have been in use until relativley recently, say within the last 20 years or so.The local youths have since been using it as a place for vandalism/drinking sessions/injecting heroin/<insert antisocial activity here>.
    I noticed again there the other day that they have recently bricked up all the windows and doors and given it a coat of paint - presumably to make it look a bit easier on the eye for the tall ships visitors the other week.

Does anyone know its history such as what it was for and who worked there and when and why it was left to rot into the ground. Does anyone know what the current plan for it is, such as reuse or demolition or is it to be just left as a ruin for the foreseeable future.
    22817066_1.jpg

PS. I am interested in grotty abandoned buildings for some strange reason, much to the dismay of my gf!!!! "
    Hunny, why do you keep trying to go around smell old buildings and getting filthy":pac::pac:
    During the tall ships i was more interested in looking around the old R+H hall place than looking at the ships.:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Freestanding single-bay two-storey flat-roofed pilot station, c.1940, on a square plan with single-bay two-storey side elevations, single-bay single-storey flat-roofed end bay to north-east, and single-bay single-storey flat-roofed entrance bay/return to north-west. Refenestrated, c.1990. Flat concrete roofs not visible behind parapets with rendered chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods. Painted cement rendered walls over red brick irregular bond brick construction with chamfered corners to first floor, rendered stringcourses to parapets, and rendered coping. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990, with some openings now blocked-up. Square-headed door openings with glazed timber doors. Set on cliff top with natural grounds to site.

A well-composed pilot station that is of particular significance for its associations with the maritime industry that has traditionally supported much of the economy of Dunmore East. Despite a utilitarian purpose, the Modernist scheme incorporates subtle features, including chamfered corners, which contribute to the architectural character of the composition. However, the replacement of much of the original fittings to the openings with inappropriate modern articles has not enhanced the external expression of the building. The pilot station remains a prominent feature in the locality, dramatically positioned on the top of a cliff, and is a familiar landmark from Dunmore Bay.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WA&regno=22817066

Advertisement