Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a surfboard

Options
  • 20-07-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

My sister is looking to sell her board, as its been used only twice in the last few years she's had it.

Its a Hutchison Handcrafted in perfect condition apart from some minor cracks in the tail which can be easily patched with a small amount of epoxy resin (no water damage). Its 6'6" x 19" , 2" 1/4, square tailed, "High Performance Model" and shaped by Johno Hutchison. It has a 6 foot Island Style competition leash, a rear DK foot grip, an Island Style sleeve and an Island Style travel bag. No fins.

I'm at a loss as to what price to ask, and where to sell it. I've seen similar boards go for up to €700 new, and second hand at around the €300 to €400 mark. However, its literally only ever seen the water twice (in Durban, South Africa) and apart from the minor damage to the tail (sustained by heavy handed baggage handlers in Heathrow), is as good as new.

So what do you guys think its worth? What would my best course of action be to sell it? I know plenty of surfers and lifeguards along the Clare coast so I'm sure one of them would make an offer, or I could pawn it off to one of the surf shops in Lahinch. I just don't want to get ripped off, cause this is one hell of a beautiful board.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Edgar Eats

Damaged goods mate.
    Maybe 150 - 175.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

It will be worth more if you get it fixed. Drop it up to Bill Keane or Tom DH near Lahinch to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Depends on where you live and the cost of the repair, I normally sell my boards damaged these days as its not worth fixing them up if it only adds 50 euro to the price of the board

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Well I'll definitely get it repaired anyway. I'm fairly sure its a simple seal job - no need to gut it up and lather on new fiberglass as far as I can tell. The damage really is minimal. I'd guess that a repair would cost about €20 at the most. Apart from that, the board really is in pristine shape. There are no cracks, fractures, dings or pressure dents anywhere, and even the wax is clean and fresh looking.

I live in the Clare area (near Ennis) and can get to the coast fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

get the tail patched and you might get 250 for it.
    about 5 years ago i had a brand new JS 6'5, (shaper for AI/Parko amongst others) and it never saw water and never had wax on it and i couldnt sell it for EU350 when folks were walking in to great outdoors in dublin and dropping 600 euros on a spyder.
    ended up keeping board - glad i did too.

if the crack is as small as you say, consider fixing it yourself and sanding it back. im sure theres a youtube tutorial.
    i dont have epoxy boards but it its anything like PU its pretty straightforward.

good luck with the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

I don't actually know where the word epoxy came from (I'm doing that kind of thing a lot lately :p) but its not an epoxy board - its traditional foam, fiberglass and resin, and as the name suggests its handcrafted rather than a mass produced blank (a friend of mine visited Johno Hutchisons shop and wouldn't shut up about it for weeks).

I was hoping for a bit more considering the boards rarity (I've never seen one in Ireland) and the fact that its in such prime shape... But I suppose €250 will have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Yeah, secondhand board prices have taken a dive since the recession has hit, you'll be doin' well to squeeze 250 euro out of someone on 'adverts.ie'.

Most buyers are beginners looking for something cheap to start off with and couldn't give two hoots who the shaper is.

You might have better luck on a dedicated surfing forum where people would know their boards.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fd

hey i fixed a pretty nasty lookin ding with this stuff last week:
    http://solarez.com/howtouse.html
    it was like 10 euro and was easy as, there is videos there for rails, tails and gouges.
    As for selling the board, id just keep it and ride it.

Advertisement