Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options
  • 20-07-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Seems the box details have been leaked...........

http://www.wouldyoukindly.com/star-wars-the-old-republics-ce-purportedly-leaked-looks-a-force-to-be-reckoned-with/

• Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
    • Star Wars: The Old Republic game disks in collectible metal case
    • The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
    • Old Republic galaxy map
    • Custom Security Authentication Key
    • Exclusive Music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
    • High-quality collector’s edition box
    Picking up the CE over the vanilla edition of TOR will also net you the following in-game content:
    • Flare Gun: Fires flares into the air.
    • Training Droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance.
    • HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer.
    • HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures.
    • STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle.
    • Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spunky droid to join your adventures.
    • Exclusive Collector’s Edition Store: Unique in-game vendor with a dynamic assortment of items.

Its claimed to cost around the $160 mark so god knows what that will be over here.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw that earlier. No way in hell i'll pay that price. If it was an extra €20 or €30 on the retail price, i'd consider it. More for the journal, map and authenticator then the statue or in-game items. But 3-4 times the price is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think its more down to the cost of the GG statue which tend to cost around the $90 alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Since this was a leak rather than a release, I'm guessing this was marketing - "Leak" the week before comiccon, deliberately highball the price to the 150 mark, and when it's officially announced as 100 quid, it'll seem more reasonable.

That said, I'll buy it at the high cost. It's nice content, ingame and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The preorders have started today for this:

A bit pricey £45 for the standard edition: http://www.swtor.com/preorder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

40 EUR on Smyths, 37 on GameStop for standard version; I found the collectors edition at around 170 EUR in one online store.

• Advertisement

Don't want a statue, but i wouldnt mind the Journal. Not willing to pay for that though, so I'll just get the Deluxe edition. The in-game items sound fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I was tempted to pick up the collector's edition, as I've always been a Star Wars fan.

But €150 is an absolutely insane amount of money for a CE version of a game.

And frankly, I'd only be willing to spend that much on a game I know will be as good as all the hype is setting up to be, and not another Rift/Aion/AoC/WAR.

I've pre-ordered the CE, from Game. £130 is pretty steep, but the bonus' are nice, and I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Going to pre-order tomorrow, Hopefully we'll get a release date soon enough!

I'd say PAX at the latest, but I've my fingers crossed for Comiccon this weekend. It's unlikely to be too far away from now, with the pre-orders - I'd say we'll be looking at an august or september release.

• Advertisement

Any later then August/September, and they'll be running against a tough crowd. Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and many other AAA titles. I know it's a different type of game, but it's still a tough sell when those games get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Kiith wrote: »
    Any later then August/September, and they'll be running against a tough crowd. Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and many other AAA titles. I know it's a different type of game, but it's still a tough sell when those games get released.

I predict a huge surge in the SWTOR subscriptions in the first month, I reckon it will outdo any previous MMO release by far, mainly due to the 5+ years of hype we've all been going through.

I'll be happy to wait a month after it's release before I pick up a copy, just to ensure it's really worth picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Jeez, that CE is lovely - Darth Malgus is seriously cool, having a statue would be nice. Too expensive though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I called into Smyths today in Waterford city and the guy had not even been notified about the pre-order.

I have a gift card so i would like to get the game there. If they still are clueless tomorrow then i am going with Amazon i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Where is the pre order code on the gamestop receipts? Wanna register the game on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Raphael wrote: »
    I've pre-ordered the CE, from Game. £130 is pretty steep, but the bonus' are nice, and I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while

Raphael,

Did you have any issues with ordering the CE edition from Game. Some of the forums are saying that ppl are getting reply e-mails after ordering stating that they are only likely to get a copy of it and that it's not guarenteed. Did you get any confirmation back from game? was thinking about ordering the CE version myself but not gonna bother if there's no guarentee I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wont be pre-ordering this. Not even sure I'm going to buy it now. Nothing to do with the prices which are incidentally appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I couldn't give a toss about the statue but I want the collectors edition :(

bombs away wrote: »
    Raphael,

Did you have any issues with ordering the CE edition from Game. Some of the forums are saying that ppl are getting reply e-mails after ordering stating that they are only likely to get a copy of it and that it's not guarenteed. Did you get any confirmation back from game? was thinking about ordering the CE version myself but not gonna bother if there's no guarentee I get it.
    Only saw this now, sorry. Mine was cancelled since, apparently, it's too heavy to ship international. There was a shelf full of copies int he Game in Dundrum where I went and picked it up this evening though

Also, new Launch Window is Holiday 2011, and there's beta weekends in september. So my money's on an October(Hopefully)/November(Likely) launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crensh

Anyone managed to pre-order CE? UK is a no and gamestop.ie said they are waiting on pricing information which is pretty weird considering you can buy them all over the world already. Anyways I would like to secure my copy asap. Any ideas?
    Oh and if this is true: "The order in which you redeem your Pre-order Code is the order in which you will gain Early Game Access before the game’s official release. So don’t wait and pre-order now!" then we are screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

I don't know whats going on with gamestop.ie either.

I couldn't see CE on the website, so I went to the shop and pre-ordered from there and paid the 3 Euro holding fee. As you said, they don't have the price on their system yet for the CE. I don't have a problem with having to wait a bit for it (still at least 2 months to release) but I am concerned that something is wrong which will result in me not getting the CE that I've pre-ordered now. Again, as you said, everyone else is dishing out the codes already...Gamestop Ireland seems completely lost.

**Ahoy there btw! First post on the forums :D **

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So EA says they are aiming for 2011 release, and beta tests starting in September.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-22-sw-tor-ea-commits-to-2011-launch

Granted, you will need a truck full of salt with an MMO release date of any form.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So EA says they are aiming for 2011 release, and beta tests starting in September.

Errrr, no EA; beta testing has been on-going for quite some time now ....

Unless they want to suggest that a month's window of beta-testing to provide bug fixing feedback is enough time (which it isn't); their statement is dishonesty inextremis.

I believe that what's happening in September with regards to beta testing is that they are going to have all the big in-game events that a lot of games run at the end of beta testing.

Greylor wrote: »
    I believe that what's happening in September with regards to beta testing is that they are going to have all the big in-game events that a lot of games run at the end of beta testing.

Eh .... in otherwords, EA are lying through their @rses since beta-testing does not start in September as they have plainly said.

Either that or "beta testing weekends" means something different to what we understand by it :)

Beta Testing weekends are going to be TORs Open Beta - large numbers of people being let on to try it out. They're not client beta testing to fix bugs, they're server stress testing.

Greylor wrote: »
    Either that or "beta testing weekends" means something different to what we understand by it :)

EA; redefining english whilst destroying steering the gaming industry. Double-plus good.

Beta Testing weekends are going to be TORs Open Beta - large numbers of people being let on to try it out. They're not client beta testing to fix bugs, they're server stress testing.

I doubt that in entirety. There's plausibililty to it; but if it's 100% true I am even more concerned for the fate of this game than I already am.

Why? Because if it's true; EA are giving Bioware less than one month in order to discover, address, fix, and retest server AND client issues en-masse. Once they're into end of September, discs need to be sent to press for release in November.

• Advertisement

Ya, figured as much.

Basically a final dress rehersal in order to try prevent chaos on launch

Advertisement