Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

I was kinda hoping Nautolan.

I saw the playable species. Star wars Galaxies has better species by far.

I wanted something alien and they all to be human .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I saw the playable species. Star wars Galaxies has better species by far.

I wanted something alien and they all to be human .

Makes it easier for clothing and armor design I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Got my pre-order sorted over the weekend, must get set up on the website and get the code entered. Very much looking forward to Christmas absolutely passing me by this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Venom wrote: »
    Makes it easier for clothing and armor design I would guess.

Actually, it was a story choice:
    There are, uh, oh, the species questions...there are not any races to be announced, that would be super funny. We have people from the Caucus Mountains. There are no more species that are going to be announced before the release, and we will not see, we talked about this before, we're not going to see any of the super crazy ones like, oh, the (?), I want to be an Ithorian, and relate to people in squeaky two-mouth talk, uh, and have nobody ever notice that I'm an Ithorian. There's a reason, and I know people don't like the response that comes, but it is the design decision that was made.

We're not a sandbox game. We are telling a Star Wars cinematic story, and there has not been a freak race lead character of any major Star Wars product in history. Not one comic book series, not one book series, and there's a reason, you cannot--I'm not going to say you, there's always the guy like "I can! I know Trandoshan's in my heart!"--but, people cannot relate and understand those species. Star Wars as a fictional piece is the journey of us, being a human perspective, going out into the unknown and meeting crazy, freaky things. So we're going to get all kinds of awesome, freaky aliens to fight, to talk to, to hang out with, to have as companion characters, but if, remember we said is if we ever do actual, like, "I'm going to be a wookiee, I'm going to be a droid, I'm going to be an Ithorian," it will be a class, so we can do the story right. You'll learn what it is like to be that thing. We don't want to just come out and say, "Hey, we just slapped--," we don't want you to be a human in an Ithorian suit.

From seeing the game at Eurogamer, they have lotsa weird aliens, all looking really nice. Just not for players.

• Advertisement

That doesnt make any sense at all. Ok there was not any lead characters in any star wars book cartoon film. But the main Characters were alien. Not only that he is saying that you cannot relate to Trandoshan but you can to a Twi Lek ? ?

The more I hear about the development process for this game the more out of touch the Dev team seem to be.

No wardrobe function (in a modern MMO) just because ?

No no human shaped alien races as it wouldn't fit the story?

Not being able to use any weapon you want? Not that bad if its a blaster type but a major deal with lightsabres.

I foresee alot of unhappy players down the road due to a seemingly unwillingness on Bioware's part to bend a little towards the players wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The more I hear about the development process for this game the more out of touch the Dev team seem to be.

No wardrobe function (in a modern MMO) just because ?.
    I believe they have said it could be a post launch update
    No no human shaped alien races as it wouldn't fit the story?
    Not playable no. This could change in the future, but i doubt it. Not a deal breaker for me tbh.
    Not being able to use any weapon you want? Not that bad if its a blaster type but a major deal with lightsabres.
    So you want non force users to be able to use LS?
    I foresee alot of unhappy players down the road due to a seemingly unwillingness on Bioware's part to bend a little towards the players wishes.

They have something called the wall of crazy, which has ALOT of stuff on it which the playerbase would like to see. Some will be implemented, some wont. Dont think there will be that many upset peeps.

That doesnt make any sense at all. Ok there was not any lead characters in any star wars book cartoon film. But the main Characters were alien. Not only that he is saying that you cannot relate to Trandoshan but you can to a Twi Lek ? ?

What they meant was that, you could not relate to your character being Transdoshan, not that you could not talk to them. We will be talking to most all races as have appeared in all incarnations of Star Wars, just that the Main Main Main characters where all human, so thats what the playable races will be. Either way is fine with me, not a deal breaker either way.

What they meant was that, you could not relate to your character being Transdoshan, not that you could not talk to them. We will be talking to most all races as have appeared in all incarnations of Star Wars, just that the Main Main Main characters where all human, so thats what the playable races will be. Either way is fine with me, not a deal breaker either way.

That's such a load of bollocks tho.

In Mass Effect 1, not only could I relate to Wrex but I reloaded my game to make sure I could save him. Hell for a MMO that's been claiming how great the character stories will be it doesn't say much for the quality of the writing.

• Advertisement

I didnt know there would be no wardrobe function either. That couldbe a deal breaker for me. I am into customizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

It really isn't a big deal, the only people who are crying about it are people who already seem to have a pathological hatred of SWTOR.

Venom, it is pretty clear SWTOR isn't for you. I'm sure you can find something else to play, maybe GW2 will be more to your tastes. I expect I'll give that ago myself.

That's such a load of bollocks tho.

In Mass Effect 1, not only could I relate to Wrex but I reloaded my game to make sure I could save him. Hell for a MMO that has claiming how great the character stories will be it doesn't say much for the quality of the writing.

But if i remember correctly, Wrex wasn't your main char, he was a companion. It's been a while since i've played ME1, not played ME2, soi could be remembering incorrectly. If not, i think thats the way they a running this, plus, with Lucas himself having final say on pretty much anything, this may be another factor that they dont want to admit.

Methionine wrote: »
    It really isn't a big deal, the only people who are crying about it are people who already seem to have a pathological hatred of SWTOR.

We are more Angry about it. Thats not a good thing because anger leads to hate, then hate leads to Suffering :eek:

We are more Angry about it. Thats not a good thing because anger leads to hate, then hate leads to Suffering :eek:

And Yoda leads to gibberish! :)

And Yoda leads to gibberish! :)

Nobody can relate to Yoda .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

His mommy can

Skerries wrote: »
    His mommy can

Thats because they are the same species. Kinda racist really .

Just on the wardrobe/customising thing. This is 'partially' mitigated by the way gear stats work.

The bulk of gear stats (if not all) actually come from the enhancements/upgrades you put on them, not the base item itself, so you can use whatever gear you want and put the stats you want on it, assuming you have the upgrades/enhancements.

I.e. You can choose the gear/appearance you want, and not be gimped because it has the wrong stats on it, because you can change those stats.

It is possible that you could find an outfit you really like early on in levelling, in some other MMOs this gear would be out-levelled very quickly and would gimp you, but in TOR you can continually upgrade it and wear it pretty much all the way to level cap. The only limiting factor would be the number of upgrade slots that are on items.

Just on the wardrobe/customising thing. This is 'partially' mitigated by the way gear stats work.

The bulk of gear stats (if not all) actually come from the enhancements/upgrades you put on them, not the base item itself, so you can use whatever gear you want and put the stats you want on it, assuming you have the upgrades/enhancements.

I.e. You can choose the gear/appearance you want, and not be gimped because it has the wrong stats on it, because you can change those stats.

Not as bad then . SWG was the same. Will there be different types of Jedi Robes ? I know there are for different levels. But can you have a choice of what robe you want.

• Advertisement

Not as bad then . SWG was the same. Will there be different types of Jedi Robes ? I know there are for different levels. But can you have a choice of what robe you want.

I'd presume so, haven't seen anyone complain about a lack of different types of gear for the different classes. I'm not in beta myself unfortunately, so can't confirm.

Venom, it is pretty clear SWTOR isn't for you. I'm sure you can find something else to play, maybe GW2 will be more to your tastes. I expect I'll give that ago myself.

A post about a bull**** dev response and the game is not for me?

As both a MMO fan and a huge Star Wars fan since I saw the original movie, in the cinema, on its first release I think SW:TOR is very much for me.

But just because I expect to like 90% of the game doesn't mean I wont call out the bits I feel could be done better and on Dev's who make stupid statements. And stop with all the hater talk it just makes you out to be a fool. Not liking a game is one thing but calling people who feel a very popular and non game environment changing yet standard MMO feature such as a character wardrobe, haters of the game is just daft.

But if i remember correctly, Wrex wasn't your main char, he was a companion. It's been a while since i've played ME1, not played ME2, soi could be remembering incorrectly. If not, i think thats the way they a running this, plus, with Lucas himself having final say on pretty much anything, this may be another factor that they dont want to admit.

It just proves my point tho that a well written story will make you care about an alien character nevermind your character no matter the species they are. And if a player picks a Trandosian, Weequay or some other speices from the movies of course the can relate to them just like if they pick an Orc, Elf or Dwarf in a game with a fantasy setting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I detect the hand of Lucasarts (and maybe even Georgy Porgy himself) in some of that. I don't agree with it at all, but if not having to make new models and new wargear and new every other thing for alien races in game, to say nothing of dialogue and what have you means that we're finally getting this game this year then I can live with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

To clarify, since i think there's a little confusion here, no wardrobe feature doesn't mean you don't get to decide what your character wears, it means you don't get to make purely cosmetic changes and have the stats from the best set of gear you own. There is a huge amount of armour sets in the game you can use, including sand raider outfits (which I've heard is a social reward)

Also, Wrex was great because you got to experience and understand his story and character... from the perspective of a human. And, honestly, I've very rarely played a game where picking my race had anything other than a cosmetic difference - the story, the reactions, the way things went were all the same (bar a few token nods). They didn't want to have a Wookie PC be the same story as a near-human PC, because it shouldn't - the culture is totally different.

A post about a bull**** dev response and the game is not for me?

As both a MMO fan and a huge Star Wars fan since I saw the original movie, in the cinema, on its first release I think SW:TOR is very much for me.

But just because I expect to like 90% of the game doesn't mean I wont call out the bits I feel could be done better and on Dev's who make stupid statements. and stop with all the hater talk it just makes you out to be a fool. Not liking a game in one thing but calling people who feel a very popular and non game environment changing yet standard MMO feature such as a character wardrobe, haters of the game is just daft.

Sorry if I had the wrong impression of you that you were a hater, it just that I have only seen negative posts from you with regard to SWTOR up until now, that and I think I may have confused you with another poster who only makes 'lame' comments.

And with regard to human versus non-human protagonists, it is quite plausible that on average, normal people have an easier time bonding with human protagonists than with aliens with giant squid-heads. Would a wookiee-mon calamari romance be up your street? (This is an attempt at a joke, not a slur!)

Sure, having a alien protagonist is technically doable, but I imagine it would be much more difficult to do well, especially given that romance story arcs are part of the game. Given the game is very heavy on the story element (with romance options), it does impose some restrictions on what they can/cannot reasonably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just got beta access during the night. Its full access. Moving country in about 3-4 weeks or so, so will miss out on about a month of beta :(

But still glad I'm getting to test it.

Edit: wrong thread sorry.

Sorry if I had the wrong impression of you that you were a hater, it just that I have only seen negative posts from you with regard to SWTOR up until now, that and I think I may have confused you with another poster who only makes 'lame' comments.

And with regard to human versus non-human protagonists, it is quite plausible that on average, normal people have an easier time bonding with human protagonists than with aliens with giant squid-heads. Would a wookiee-mon calamari romance be up your street? (This is an attempt at a joke, not a slur!)

Sure, having a alien protagonist is technically doable, but I imagine it would be much more difficult to do well, especially given that romance story arcs are part of the game. Given the game is very heavy on the story element (with romance options), it does impose some restrictions on what they can/cannot reasonably do.

Well until I get to play the game I can't comment on how good or bad it really is but the wardrobe function was something I felt could of been handled better by Bioware. That and the choice of the VO artist for the Sith Warrior are the only things I'm not happy about in what Iv seen so far.

I personally have a very positive outlook about SW:TOR as Bioware have made some of the best RPGs games ever made (not DA:2 tho that was ****e) and the unique story per class if done like the Devs claim will make playing an Alt really cool.

I still think the lack of the more alien playable character is down to having to design extra armor meshes and voice work rather than the player not getting into the character.

I still think the lack of the more alien playable character is down to having to design extra armor meshes and voice work rather than the player not getting into the character.

Well, I 'think' we can both agree that it would be a lot more work (whatever the reason) and even Bioware have limits to what they can deliver and still stay in business. They have to prioritise what features are absolutely necessary and which ones can wait until after release or can be fitted into an expansion at some later date.

• Advertisement

Well, I 'think' we can both agree that it would be a lot more work (whatever the reason) and even Bioware have limits to what they can deliver and still stay in business. They have to prioritise what features are absolutely necessary and which ones can wait until after release or can be fitted into an expansion at some later date.

Not really .............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl4GiyzAbZ0

Advertisement