Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

You do realise that Bioware already have character models/animations for most of the species already in the game? Some of the companions are Mon Calamari, Transdoshan etc. I have seen Nautolans as well, but I don't know if they are companions or just NPCs.

There is a very wide range of species represented as NPC's. It doesn't seem like having the models are preventing them from being playable species, given they are already present in the game?

You can see a Nautolan in the Jedi Consular video.

The Video i posted showed a patch that somebody created to allow you to choose a race that was not playable in the game.

The Video i posted showed a patch that somebody created to allow you to choose a race that was not playable in the game.

OK, I'm talking about Star Wars: The Old Republic, not Star Wars Galaxies (different game).

The discussion was about playable races/species in SWTOR. Venom believes the lack of a wider range of races is due to the cost of creating extra models/meshes/artwork/VO, but given most of these are already in the game I think Bioware are just staying close to what they know works best, while at the same time following the IP as closely as possible, for launch at least.

Methionine wrote: »
    OK, I'm talking about Star Wars: The Old Republic, not Star Wars Galaxies (different game).

The discussion was about playable races/species in SWTOR. Venom believes the lack of a wider range of races is due to the cost of creating extra models/meshes/artwork/VO, but given most of these are already in the game I think Bioware are just staying close to what they know works best, while at the same time following the IP as closely as possible, for launch at least.

I honestly think it will be DLC . The Nautolan does look awesome in the game though.

I honestly think it will be DLC . The Nautolan does look awesome in the game though.

Agreed, the Nautolan does look very cool. I have little doubt extra playable races will be added over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Honestly I wouldn't be so sure, at least races distinctly outside Star Wars Near-Human species. BioWare have said they're very keen to have the story be the central aspect of it and don't believe that a player can properly immerse themselves in a character that is not essentially human(-ish). I'd personally love to see a greater variety of races added, but for the time being unless it's specifically endgame/post-story skins I don't see BioWare doing it.

It is a shame, I'd love to play a proper Cathar looking character.

Honestly I wouldn't be so sure, at least races distinctly outside Star Wars Near-Human species. BioWare have said they're very keen to have the story be the central aspect of it and don't believe that a player can properly immerse themselves in a character that is not essentially human(-ish). I'd personally love to see a greater variety of races added, but for the time being unless it's specifically endgame/post-story skins I don't see BioWare doing it.

It is a shame, I'd love to play a proper Cathar looking character.

That is true, I suppose it depends on what is near enough human. Anything too alien starts to have repercussions for class stories, interactions with NPC's and companions and probably other not so obvious stuff.

Methionine wrote: »
    That is true, I suppose it depends on what is near enough human. Anything too alien starts to have repercussions for class stories, interactions with NPC's and companions and probably other not so obvious stuff.

Exactly. I imagine a good bit of it has to do with the romance arcs in each class storyline as well. As for what constitutes "near enough human", I imagine that would be any Near-Human race, though I'm shocked Sullustan are considered Near-Humans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Exactly. I imagine a good bit of it has to do with the romance arcs in each class storyline as well. As for what constitutes "near enough human", I imagine that would be any Near-Human race, though I'm shocked Sullustan are considered Near-Humans now.
    So yer not looking forward to some hot love interest with a Sullustan then no?:D

Elrollo wrote: »
    So yer not looking forward to some hot love interest with a Sullustan then no?:D

Haha, sadly not. A pair of Zeltron female twins and I'm good to go however.

• Advertisement

Haha, sadly not. A pair of Zeltron female twins and I'm good to go however.
    Those Zeltrons are bloomin hedonists, though it'd be a bit of craic if you could play as one, a Zeltron Lord of the Sith, could be plausible given their nature!

Those Zeltrons are bloomin hedonists, though it'd be a bit of craic if you could play as one, a Zeltron Lord of the Sith, could be plausible given their nature!

As a Warhammer fan I can't help but think the Zeltrons are all Slaaneshi cultists in (poor) disguise.

As a Warhammer fan I can't help but think the Zeltrons are all Slaaneshi cultists in (poor) disguise.
    :pac:
    And the Massassi are cultists of Khorne lol! Bit of a Warhammer fan myself, feckin love the lore, almost as much as I love Star Wars'n rich lore :D

Same, I've never had the cash or the painting skills to learn to play the tabletop game but I absolutely love the lore in both Warhammer universes. It would be fair to say it'll certainly affect me RP in SWTOR to an extent. Haha.

Same, I've never had the cash or the painting skills to learn to play the tabletop game but I absolutely love the lore in both Warhammer universes. It would be fair to say it'll certainly affect me RP in SWTOR to an extent. Haha.
    Same here! No money but my love for the lore was strong! Definitely watch out for the heavily armoured Sith screaming 'WAAAAAAAAGH!!!' while running to battle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If only WAR hadn't sucked. *sigh*

Same here! No money but my love for the lore was strong! Definitely watch out for the heavily armoured Sith screaming 'WAAAAAAAAGH!!!' while running to battle!

Haha, if I get the chance for giggles I'm going to create a Sith Marauder called Kharn and play him appropriately.
    Raphael wrote: »
    If only WAR hadn't sucked. *sigh*

Meh I think WAR suffered from awful development decisions both before and after it was released more than a fundamentally bad game, I still haven't found a game with PvP that comes anywhere near the quality of WAR's. It only really started to suck when Mythic made it entirely clear they were dedicated to the perverse PvPvE concept started in LOTD and carried through into the Skaven expansion.

Here's hoping Dark Millennium lives up to the license though it likewise has to contend with GW's mind-boggling Order/Destruction split.

Haha, if I get the chance for giggles I'm going to create a Sith Marauder called Kharn and play him appropriately.
    If ya spot a Sith Sorcerer by the name of Magnus, drop by and we'll indulge in some Light side slaughter!:D
    Here's hoping Dark Millennium lives up to the license though it likewise has to contend with GW's mind-boggling Order/Destruction split.
    So looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Green Skin for the win!

If ya spot a Sith Sorcerer by the name of Magnus, drop by and we'll indulge in some Light side slaughter!:D

I'll have to check with Khorne first, I hear he's not a big fan of magic.
    So looking forward to seeing how it turns out! Green Skin for the win!

SPESS MEHREENS! FOR THE EMPRAH! WE AHR HIS FUREH!

I'll have to check with Khorne first, I hear he's not a big fan of magic.
    Ah, Khorne'll be grand as long I'm not spoiling the ridiculous amounts of bloodshed with the sexy hedonism of Slaanesh!
    SPESS MEHREENS! FOR THE EMPRAH! WE AHR HIS FUREH!
    POSH 'UMIE GIT! I'LL KRUMP YA GOOD AN TAKE YER SHINY HELMET FOR ME BOSS POLE! WAAAAAAAARRGH DA ORKS!

• Advertisement

This is more or less the most general SWTOR thread, so I'll just leave this here:

IGN wrote:
    IGN has been tooling around in the Old Republic beta for the last week or two, and we're just about ready to spew forth (in the best way possible) a whole heap of information. Tomorrow at 9 AM Pacific you can look forward to a pile of new content. Then starting Monday (the 24th) and lasting through to Friday (the 28th) we'll be posting a brand new Old Republic article every. Single. Day.

As confirmed on twitter:
    As others have noted, we have a press embargo on #SWTOR dropping tomorrow. We've had press in for a while. Testers are still under NDA. That means if you're in testing, you're still bound by NDA. Only press who have been admitted will be sharing their impressions.

So, tomorrow afternoon's gonna be fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to seeing IGN's info. Will probably be heavily controlled by EA, but any new info is good.

Not if it's an embargo drop, it isn't. From my interpretation, the press who were invited into testing can now say whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Might aswell life NDA if thats the case :)

Gutted I wont be playing the game at launch (that should be a hint of what I think of it!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's an embargo drop as of today, I'll be posting my own preview of the game either later today or tomorrow too (writing it up atm).

http://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw

"As others have noted, we have a press embargo on #SWTOR dropping tomorrow. We've had press in for a while. Testers are still under NDA."

If you're a regular tester you're still under NDA and cannot review it. Just a warning for you shiminay incase you aren't press!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Oh don't worry, I'm press :) It'll be posted with my "work" account... ;)

Shiminay wrote: »
    Oh don't worry, I'm press :) It'll be posted with my "work" account... ;)

Ha! Look forward to reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Plenty to read here while we wait for Dav's version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Considering the embargo drop, there's still an awful lot that they aren't allowed to talk about.

Advertisement