Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Lemming wrote: »
    I doubt that in entirety. There's plausibililty to it; but if it's 100% true I am even more concerned for the fate of this game than I already am.

Why? Because if it's true; EA are giving Bioware less than one month in order to discover, address, fix, and retest server AND client issues en-masse. Once they're into end of September, discs need to be sent to press for release in November.
    Closed Beta for TOR has been going on for ages, they're already fixed the game client side - these are just to make sure that the servers don't fall over and die when thousands of people pour onto them, while also drumming up groundswell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Raphael wrote: »
    Closed Beta for TOR has been going on for ages, they're already fixed the game client side

Curious statement Raph; to PM if you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Aye as Raph said, the beta has been going on for a few weeks now. It's currently under a Closed Beta with the typical NDA I believe.

Open weekends have become quite common, AoC did it a few years back, as have Aion and Rift since then.

They basically allow thousands of people to log on, and try out the game, but at the same time it allows for a full stress test of the server's they have, and whether they will need an upgrade/adjustments before the game's official launch.

I'd of been more surprised if EA didn't do this, considering the 7 years of hype behind SWTOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Sonics2k wrote: »
    7 years of hype behind SWTOR.

And very much hyped I am :D

Yeah, it's making the (minimum) 3 month wait for release date that much more bearable. It's been 7 years... 3 months isn't that bad.

• Advertisement

I'm honestly avoiding a lot of the hype.

I've been a Star Wars fan since I saw the Episode IV in like 1988 (I was four!), and have played all of the games since.

However, I'm also quite sceptical of LucasArts since the last three films were such a let down, and frankly, I've seen MMO's get hyped up so much, and then end in disaster.

As long as the PvP Combat system works well, I'll be happy :D

As long as the PvP Combat system works well, I'll be happy :D

It's gonna be interesting to see how they balance the PvP. It's a game with an overwhealmingly PvE centred stance, so balancing PvP will require a LOT of skill.

What's I'm also interested in seeing is what the end-game is for characters that have finished the story. Yes, the story for each class is massive, but when it's over, what is there to do? Will there be frequent content addons? Raids? Mass PvP battles for territory? Rediculously long grinds for vanity items like a roflcopter or new ways to customise your character to make it more unique?

Definately a lot to look forward to. Hope it doesn't dissapoint!

One of the big things they've said is that grinding isn't a part of the game - there is supposed to be enough content that you just need to do things once and then keep on with the story.

At the panel last night they mentioned something about a bonus for re-rolling after getting a character to the top, which is pretty cool - I could totally go for playing other classes stories, since they'll all be fully voiced, and probably great. Hurray for KOTOR 3-10! =D

Edit: Also, PvP wise they got some of the guys from WAR onboard, and PvP was one of the thigns (imo) WAR had right. They've also made a few cool choices, like making tanks viable in PvP - if you taunt another player, they do less damage to people other than you, and you can also "protect" an ally and take a percentage of their damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Just pre-ordered the special edition! Waited this long another few months wont kill me!

Raphael wrote: »
    One of the big things they've said is that grinding isn't a part of the game - there is supposed to be enough content that you just need to do things once and then keep on with the story.

At the panel last night they mentioned something about a bonus for re-rolling after getting a character to the top, which is pretty cool - I could totally go for playing other classes stories, since they'll all be fully voiced, and probably great. Hurray for KOTOR 3-10! =D

Edit: Also, PvP wise they got some of the guys from WAR onboard, and PvP was one of the thigns (imo) WAR had right. They've also made a few cool choices, like making tanks viable in PvP - if you taunt another player, they do less damage to people other than you, and you can also "protect" an ally and take a percentage of their damage.

This pleases me greatly :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

I tried to order the CE edition on Game.co.uk but they just canceled my order saying its over 1kg so they wont ship international.

Nothing on smyths, gamestop or xtra-vision sites yet.

This is annoying!!!. Dying to get this.

Gamestop does have CE on their system...they just arn't showing on their website. I had to go into the shop itself to order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Got my CE today in Game Ilac. I think i was the first one, as the guy gave me the SE box instead. I'd made it all the way back to work to activate the code and it told me it was the SE. Called them back and they said they realised the mistake and where hoping i would call them. Went back down and got the CE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Have a listen to what this guy has to say about EA / Bioware.

He makes some good points in my opinion:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Totally agree with TB on this.
    This game has always been on the horizon for me, always one to look forward to but theres no way in hell im gonna preorder not to mention buy the collectors edition.
    Its all a bit too tight lipped from bioware for me to be totally comfortable about the game,their latest game DA2 is a pile of crap,any of the DLC they released in the last couple of years was just dire.
    One of my alltime favourite devs have in relatively short time gone from an amazing dec team to mediocre at best imo.
    I just hope they are keeping their best people for this game :)
    This BS about application to preorder is just ridiculous ffs its a digital game :rolleyes:
    It stinks of ea marketing people stooping to a new low imo.

I really hope it turns out to be an amazing game, god knows we have waited so long for it but im just skeptical after being burned so often with MMOs promising the sun moon and stars.
    Im itching for a new mmo to grab my longterm attention,will SW the old republic deliver?Im not convinced yet but sure hope to be soon.

Dcully wrote: »
    Totally agree with TB on this.
    This game has always been on the horizon for me, always one to look forward to but theres no way in hell im gonna preorder not to mention buy the collectors edition.
    Its all a bit too tight lipped from bioware for me to be totally comfortable about the game,their latest game DA2 is a pile of crap,any of the DLC they released in the last couple of years was just dire.
    One of my alltime favourite devs have in relatively short time gone from an amazing dec team to mediocre at best imo.
    I just hope they are keeping their best people for this game :)
    This BS about application to preorder is just ridiculous ffs its a digital game :rolleyes:
    It stinks of ea marketing people stooping to a new low imo.

I really hope it turns out to be an amazing game, god knows we have waited so long for it but im just skeptical after being burned so often with MMOs promising the sun moon and stars.
    Im itching for a new mmo to grab my longterm attention,will SW the old republic deliver?Im not convinced yet but sure hope to be soon.

I honestly could not agree more.

Whilst many of my friends in WoW spam our guild chat with how awesome it will be, they seem to know very little of the end-game content itself, which is the real key to any MMO.

Leveling and story lines can only provide us with so much amusement, but if the end-game is stale, then it will die off quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

decided to hold off on preordering this, alot of TB's comments make sense and it seems like ea are just in it to maximize profit. Does'nt bode well for things to come :(

TB comments don't apply to those who are getting a hard copy.

Here's a pertinent question though....
    If you get a hardcopy of the game, I assume that you are going to have to create an account and put in the CD key and everything with the EA online engine thingie. Will I then be able to download the game fresh at any time from the distribution engine, or will I have to use my hardcopy for the install?

If you have a pre-order, you'll be able to download and install for the head-start, so you'll have the game client from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I honestly could not agree more.

Whilst many of my friends in WoW spam our guild chat with how awesome it will be, they seem to know very little of the end-game content itself, which is the real key to any MMO.

Leveling and story lines can only provide us with so much amusement, but if the end-game is stale, then it will die off quickly.

Each class has its own storyline tho so making alts in TOR won't be the chore it is in other MMO's. If it works like the Devs claim that's a huge amount of content to keep the playerbase coming back month after month.

Only thing that bugs me from what Iv seen is the voice of the Sith Warrior :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

For those wondering about PvP some footage has been leaked finally. I'm not really a PvP'r myself but it looks like fun.

http://www.alterswtor.com/2011/07/swtor-beta-pvp-video.html#more

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As much as i express concerns about this game looking at that video above has brought a huge hopeful grim across my face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Dcully wrote: »
    any of the DLC they released in the last couple of years was just dire.

Did you play Lair of the Shadow Broker in Mass Effect 2? That was probably the best DLC I played last year, excellent stuff.

I put down a €20 deposit for TOR CE in Game this morning...couldn't resist!

Overlord was pretty good as well, and Arrival wasn't bad.

On the DA side, Leliana Song was great, though I've heard Golems and Witch Hunt were a bit ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Preordered my CE (and an SE for my brother) this afternoon in GAME in Limerick only to discover when I got back to the house I'd been given two standard edition preorder codes. Phoned the lads in the shop and was told "Oh yeah, sorry, we had the CE codes in the safe" (/facepalm), €6 and a taxi later I managed to get the thing sorted and my code entered. I'm really hoping it isn't just a case of first served with regards to the headstart, the cost of the CE (especially in Europe) really should give us priority.

I probably should've caught it earlier but when I went into Gamestop just to check their prices against GAME's (I hate giving money to GS) I actually asked if the codes were different between the CE and SE and was told no (though I should've been suspicious after she looked for it under Xbox games).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So where seems to be the cheapest for a pre order?

I'd be probably grand picking it up in brick n mortar on release day. Going to cancel my amazon order since I dont wantr to risk not having it release day, there is some holidays time being booked for this **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Gamestop seems to have the cheapest b&m SE if the €39.97 I saw holds all the way to release. GAME told me somewhere in between €40 and €45, Xtravision couldn't even give me a price.

Venom wrote: »
    Each class has its own storyline tho so making alts in TOR won't be the chore it is in other MMO's. If it works like the Devs claim that's a huge amount of content to keep the playerbase coming back month after month.

Only thing that bugs me from what Iv seen is the voice of the Sith Warrior :(

Questing and levelling can only provide so much entertainment before it gets very very dull though. Especially for people like me.

On most MMO's I play I have 1 or 2 level capped characters, sometimes just the one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more information to be released soon, and what end-game content we can expect, I really don't want SW:TOR to be a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Venom wrote: »
    Indeed. In a way, I'd be less concerned about the end game than for most MMO's. Not necessarily because I think it'll be particularly amazing, but more for the fact that even if they feck up end game completely, yet have managed to have a Bioware quality story for each class, it'll still be well worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Questing and levelling can only provide so much entertainment before it gets very very dull though. Especially for people like me.

On most MMO's I play I have 1 or 2 level capped characters, sometimes just the one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more information to be released soon, and what end-game content we can expect, I really don't want SW:TOR to be a let down.

Yes but in most MMO's making an Alt involves running though the exact same content from level one to max level as the first time you leveled up. Now some MMO's provide a different experience depending on the character's race they still suffer from the player re-using the majority of the games content each time.

SW:TOR claims to have not only a unique storyline for each class but also branching quest choices during the quests that result in different outcomes. Bioware have a well earned reputation for telling a good story so having 8 storylines in the game should be epic.

Advertisement