Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Bingo. Whatever the endgame is like, if there's 8 KOTORs in it, I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Raphael wrote: »
    Bingo. Whatever the endgame is like, if there's 8 KOTORs in it, I'll be happy enough.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well in fairness endgame is pretty important, it will define the longevity of the series and if it gets past flavour of the month.

Or it could join the long list of rift etc...

While I'd be happy at the alleged class character levelling experience, I'd be massively dissapointed if PvE endgame is non existant and not up to scratch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Venom wrote: »
    SW:TOR claims to have not only a unique storyline for each class but also branching quest choices during the quests that result in different outcomes. Bioware have a well earned reputation for telling a good story so having 8 storylines in the game should be epic.
    Unique storyline does not equal not redoing the same content with slightly different dialogues though; you're still going to blow up that Imperial outpost but as a smuggler you may do it for revenge, as Sith to kill person X and as Jedi because of XYZ.

I think anyone believing that they have gone and created 8 unique set of worlds with varying terrain between all of them will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well in fairness endgame is pretty important, it will define the longevity of the series and if it gets past flavour of the month.

Or it could join the long list of rift etc...

While I'd be happy at the alleged class character levelling experience, I'd be massively dissapointed if PvE endgame is non existant and not up to scratch

Exactly how I feel to.

I really look forward to the levelling system and the supposed unique storylines of each one.

But the levelling system in all MMO's basically comes down to Go here -> Kill this/Collect this -> Come back -> Go kill something else.

No matter how intriguing and developed a story line is, that won't give a game a long term lifespan.

For example, I quite enjoyed levelling in Rift, got to end-game, and found that it was practically dead because it was either poorly done, or not enough, making it harder to find people to progress with at end-game.

Just to say, I'm not trying to put a downer on SW:TOR, I'm really looking forward to it, but levelling up a character is not the basis of an MMO. End-Game is what truly defines, completes, makes and breaks them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Nody wrote: »
    I think anyone believing that they have gone and created 8 unique set of worlds with varying terrain between all of them will be disappointed.

Straw man. No one is suggesting that they've created completely separate planets/universe for each class. That is ridiculous. There will be a significant amount of unique content per class, but you will be doing shared content as well during levelling outside of your class story. At least that is what the beta-testers are saying.

Anyway, there is virtually no info on endgame out yet, other than Operation Eternity Vault, teaser clip below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut-4lS9jX14

• Registered Users Posts: 48 EVanB

So is there any way to pre-order the game from Origins in euros as opposed to pounds? Bad enough we're paying €55 for a digital product (and an extra fiver for a pre-order) without having to pay extra because the website cant seem to tell Im in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nody wrote: »
    Unique storyline does not equal not redoing the same content with slightly different dialogues though; you're still going to blow up that Imperial outpost but as a smuggler you may do it for revenge, as Sith to kill person X and as Jedi because of XYZ.

Unique storyline does equal not redoing the same content when the quest options are different to a huge degree when it comes to MMO's. Locations and mob types are always going to be reused but its in the details that make the difference between advancement and repetition.

Every MMO quest boils down to either a kill or fetch quest at the most basic level but when different mobs and locations are used it will entertain the player when the quest design is done right. Bioware using cutscenes and full VO can tune that Jedi/Sith quest to come across as unique mich better that they can via the player reading a text bubble over an NPC's head.

WoW didn't reinvent MMO's, Blizzard just took the time to polish what other games were doing and in doing so took MMO's to the next level and it blew players away. Bioware look to be doing the same with TOR but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got a preorder code from amazon. The Tor site wouldn't let me log in with my EA\Bioware account so I had to use an old Tor account. It souldn't let me switch my email to the one used by the EA account as it said it was already in use??

I don' really want to have a separate account for this espacially if I need to use Origin and have to keep switching accounts.

You don't need to use Origin - They've said that it's only involved for the purchase, you don't need to run the game or patch the game through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

EVanB wrote: »
    So is there any way to pre-order the game from Origins in euros as opposed to pounds? Bad enough we're paying €55 for a digital product (and an extra fiver for a pre-order) without having to pay extra because the website cant seem to tell Im in Ireland.

Be grateful we pay in Sterling.

You just know if we paid in Euro's we would pay extra again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi

I am seriously considering getting this,any idea how much the monthly fee will be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi

I am seriously considering getting this,any idea how much the monthly fee will be?

Any mmo ive subbed to was average of €11 - €14 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Hi

Stephen Reid confirmed at Comic-Con that TOR will have a comparable monthly subscription price to all the other major MMOs out there, so in or around the €14 a month mark. If I can get away with it though I'm going to stick to paying in sterling like I usually do, sick of getting ripped off by companies simply changing $ to € and expecting us not to notice.

Regarding endgame, EA have always made it their aim to topple Blizzard eventually and given how badly they were burned for pushing WAR out for release months before it should've even been in beta in addition to how tight lipped they've been with regards to TOR, I can't seem them being foolish enough to skimp on endgame development. As proficient a storytelling company as BioWare are, they have to know, especially now they've been merged with Mythic, the difference between endgame at single player and MMO level. WAR at least had the advantage of RvR to take people's attention away from how poor endgame PvE was. Personally I'll be running a raft of alts but I would be disappointed if endgame turns out to be sub-par.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

So where seems to be the cheapest for a pre order?

I'd be probably grand picking it up in brick n mortar on release day. Going to cancel my amazon order since I dont wantr to risk not having it release day, there is some holidays time being booked for this **** :D

the cheapest i can find is here
    which states the release date as 15th September

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

€14 a month mark. If I can get away with it though I'm going to stick to paying in sterling like I usually do, sick of getting ripped off by companies simply changing $ to € and expecting us not to notice.

How do you do that?:)

Skerries wrote: »
    the cheapest i can find is here
    which states the release date as 15th September
    Yeah, that's not release date. No way we'll see it before late October, not with the Beta Weekends in September.

Is it jsut me or does the Empire faction look completely imbalanced in terms of "cool classes".

I'm trying to make the decision on what to start with, more then likely picking three chars to level to a certain point then make a decision but as I look through them empire have.

Bounty Hunter - Need i say more
    Sith Warrior - Badass melee dps
    Sith Inquistor - A sith warrior with ranged dps spells
    Imperial Agent - Some mad looking assassin

The republic in comparison

Trooper - meh appeal
    Smuggler - again meh appeal
    Jedi knight - serious appeal being a melee dps jedi!
    Jedi Consular - Jedi healer

I might be missing a class or two, but from looking at it, the Empire looks the only way for me :(

I'd say I'll be starting with a Sith Inquisitor, then a Bounty Hunter and finishing off with an Imperial agent then pick about level 20 which I want to fire ahead with.

Anyone else have their hearts set on a class or is it too early?

I'm going BH, but I'd disagree that the classes lack appeal republic side.

Basically, the 4 classes each side are, ability wise, more or less the same - especially the force users, which are practically carbon copies. Inquisitor = Consular, Knight = Warrior. Hunter has similarities with Trooper, and Agent has similarities with Smuggler. Which, incidentally, is one of the coolest looking classes. Fricking space cowboys, what's not to love?

(This is based on stuff from the official forums, and leaks I've come across)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm going to pick the Smuggler, then Trooper and then Jedi Knight. Smuggler looks like a lot of fun, plus who doesn't want to be Han Solo? He gets the ship, the girl, the fame and the giant furball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

finding jedi force fellas the least appealing - too clean cut for my likings, prancing about in their poncy beige pajamas.. gtfo!

I'm reckoning..
    inquisitor - never really played a caster in mmo's, so would be interesting
    or maybe bounty hunter - I'd imagine that story arc would be epic!
    or maybe smuggler - kiith makes very valid points below!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'm thinking Sith warrior as i like my melee classes

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Went to Gamestop to get my code today (I preordered before they had received them, so I got it today) and they gave me the pre-order box and a piece of paper with a code on it.

Inside the box is a piece of paper with a code as well.

I tried both codes in SWTOR website, and they are both valid CE codes.

From what I've been reading, Gamestop is supposed to print out the code for you...and that's what they did. But the box that they gave me had a code as well. I've now registered with the code that came in the box, but still have the one that they printed out.

Have they just given me 2 collectors edition codes for the price of one? Or am I missing something?

...it does seem like that. How odd. When I got mine in GAME, they only gave me the box.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Greylor wrote: »
    Have they just given me 2 collectors edition codes for the price of one? Or am I missing something?

Dibs on the 2nd copy :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill more likely get this despite my fears of yet another mmo gathering dust plus i can see myself rolling countless alts :o

How do you do that?:)

Normal way I do it is to switch your billing address country to the UK and it'll usually allow you to pay in sterling instead of euro. Worked in WAR (and WoW) so I'm assuming it'll work again in TOR because it's another EA MMO.
    Greylor wrote: »

You have indeed, you're only supposed to be given the box. Someone might want to alert Gamestop about that before the **** hits the fan over that.
    Anyone else have their hearts set on a class or is it too early?

Been planning on playing a Jedi Knight since I first heard about the game, even before 4FU. Personally I've always liked the look of the Republic classes.

Whats the price structure of the three versions.

I dont think I'll pickup the expensive one since its over a hundred euro.

But what price is the deluxe one going for in stores, or is it only CE editions, for over €100 ?

Wont get to the shops till the weekend but might throw a deposit down just to be on the safe side, dont want to book time of work and have no game to play :D

Pity Gamestop are the only really viable option, granted they are usually decent for a pre order nad have stock , I need a shower everytime I get home from buying from them

If you're going bricks and mortar Doc then you'll only have the choice of the standard edition and the collector's edition. The digital deluxe edition is only available through EA's Origin store and goes for about €75 AFAIK.

Seeing as you've ruled out the CE, that only leaves the standard edition which is going for €40 in Gamestop and between €40 and €45 in GAME.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dcully wrote: »
    Ill more likely get this despite my fears of yet another mmo gathering dust plus i can see myself rolling countless alts :o

I knew you would be weak...

Advertisement