Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Yea picked up the CE edition from gamestop up in newbridge for 150 yoyo's, a bit steep i know and usually i never EVER get 'uber limited collecters one time edition' type version of games.

but im a huge role-player and an even bigger star wars nerd so i figured what the hell throw the extra cash at it and see what happens. took ages to get the pre-order code from gamestop tho ... over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Kiith wrote: »
    Never!!

Question for you all though...do you think you'll play mostly single or multiplayer for your first character? I was just thinking that i'd be pissed if i lose a dice roll, and then someone else gets to make a decision that i wouldnt have chosen, and it effects my story arc. I know most decisions won't have much of an impact, but still.

I think i'll play mostly solo on my first playthrough, and might then try and run my 2nd character as a group character.

You always decide your class story dialogue choices, even if you have friends along for it. The roll is only for non-class stories, e.g. World arcs/Flashpoints and other non-class group quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Do any stores allow you to pre-order without paying the full amount?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I saw the pre-order box in HMV for €5.99 yesterday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I saw the pre-order box in HMV for €5.99 yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Holsten wrote: »
    The vast majority of them should. It would be much rarer for a shop to charge you the full game amount for a preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Amazon doesn't charge anything until it ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Uh, welcome to page 1 of this thread dude. That's not exactly new information.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

For anyone interested, one of the most hilarious (p)reviews I've read for SWTOR so far.

http://www.gamefront.com/hands-on-with-star-wars-the-old-republic-player-vs-player/

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

For anyone interested, one of the most hilarious (p)reviews I've read for SWTOR so far.

http://www.gamefront.com/hands-on-with-star-wars-the-old-republic-player-vs-player/

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lol, the comments after it are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The review was rubbish but the screenshot's do make the game look sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Venom wrote: »
    The review was rubbish but the screenshot's do make the game look sweet :)

That's the only thing i took away form it!

Yep, basically boiled down to three guys who don't play MMOs claiming that playing stealth-based, light-armoured, DPS or support characters in competitive PvP was difficult. Excuse me while I steady myself as my world has been turned upside-down. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And even then, the first guys was a really positive review. So that's something =)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Interesting review commentary. And the guys, as perhaps unsuited as they were for the review, do appear to have at least been honest in their thoughts rather than just doing the fanboi thing. Granted, the last guy made a right plank of himself over his rather pointless Bounty Hunter Smuggler comments, but there's a lot of unfair and vitriolic posts made after that review. Some of it is fair comment, but a lot is shockingly blinkered fanboi'sm at its worst.

In other news, NDAs suck ass.

Lemming wrote: »
    Interesting review commentary. And the guys, as perhaps unsuited as they were for the review, do appear to have at least been honest in their thoughts rather than just doing the fanboi thing. Granted, the last guy made a right plank of himself over his rather pointless Bounty Hunter Smuggler comments, but there's a lot of unfair and vitriolic posts made after that review. Some of it is fair comment, but a lot is shockingly blinkered fanboi'sm at its worst.

In other news, NDAs suck ass.
    In fairness, it's 3 guys paid to preview a highly anticipated game. And their editor decided to get people who had no interest in the game at all. That's just a mental decision to make.

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness, it's 3 guys paid to preview a highly anticipated game. And their editor decided to get people who had no interest in the game at all. That's just a mental decision to make.

I'll stop you right there humanji; they played this at SFCC and there is no mention of whatever else they would have been at the con for (or the west-coast USA for that matter); it's a big, big event in its own right. Speculating on why those three were there is pointless because ... well .. it's pointless. We have no context.

Anyway, two of the reviews have been retracted (one of them rightly so; the second one I'm not so sold on). And why make a point about three guys being paid to review a highly anticipated game? Do you expect them to give favourable praise because they're being paid? Why comment on that?

Regardless, from a purely logical point of view, it makes very good sense to have some reviewers present who are not MMO gamers give their thoughts on what they experienced. How else can a company grow its customer base than by figuring out what appeals and what doesn't appeal to those who have yet to join the MMO-train.

Dropping a few CODers who have never played an MMO before into level 20 PvP is hilarious. May as well have dropped them into Taliban controlled Afghanistan armed with spoons.

It's a pity they have retracted the other reviews, sounds like they would have been funny to read. Some of the comments are very funny as well.

• Advertisement

Never even noticed they'd retracted some of the reviews, oh well, at least they had the good sense to do so.

@Lemming: I do agree that getting people who've never played MMOs properly before to test content is a good way of hopefully drawing in new people, but at the same time competitive PvP with support classes is probably not the best way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

@Lemming: I do agree that getting people who've never played MMOs properly before to test content is a good way of hopefully drawing in new people, but at the same time competitive PvP with support classes is probably not the best way to do this.
    Indeed, it'd be the equivalent of dumping them into the middle of a raid as a healer or a tank, they'd inevitably just write about how everyone kept dieing all of the time.

I'll stop you right there humanji; they played this at SFCC and there is no mention of whatever else they would have been at the con for (or the west-coast USA for that matter); it's a big, big event in its own right. Speculating on why those three were there is pointless because ... well .. it's pointless. We have no context.

I don't get what you mean here. They were writers for a gaming website.
    Anyway, two of the reviews have been retracted (one of them rightly so; the second one I'm not so sold on). And why make a point about three guys being paid to review a highly anticipated game? Do you expect them to give favourable praise because they're being paid? Why comment on that?

People who are paid to do a job should try and do a good job. These guys did no research and weren't even too keen on the genre. Does that sound like the type of person who should be previewing anything? Let alone a game where lots of people are interested in and want to know something about, not to read about people who didn't bother their holes to learn about the game complaining that they didn't understand it.

It was a shocking trio of previews by any standard.
    Regardless, from a purely logical point of view, it makes very good sense to have some reviewers present who are not MMO gamers give their thoughts on what they experienced. How else can a company grow its customer base than by figuring out what appeals and what doesn't appeal to those who have yet to join the MMO-train.
    I fully agree with that, but these guys came off as sounding like they had no interest in the game at all. That helps nobody. It was three guys not knowing what they were doing and seemingly not having done a lick of research on it. That's my and many others gripe with it.

Never even noticed they'd retracted some of the reviews, oh well, at least they had the good sense to do so.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Indeed, it'd be the equivalent of dumping them into the middle of a raid as a healer or a tank, they'd inevitably just write about how everyone kept dieing all of the time.

Oh, you're both quite right on the PvP thing; few people walk into an MMO game with no experience, jump into PvP and do well or understand what they're at.

But whose fault is it that the three reviewers were 'dumped' into the middle of a PVP session? They were simply pointed at the nearest available machines at the exhibition-stand in all likelihood. And Bioware would have had all those machines set up with high level characters available to show off the different skills; not break people in gently to MMO gaming and/or PVP. It's unfortunate that the first taste they had of MMO gaming in general was high level PVP but as the expression goes; "First Impressions count".

No, I'd not be blaming the reviewers too much here. They were handed a game to play and that's the experience they had.

humanji wrote: »
    I don't get what you mean here. They were writers for a gaming website.

You asked why they were sent to do a review of SWTOR at SFCC rather than someone else, as if it was a deliberate act. You are making assumptions that a) they were there for SWTOR alone, b) they were in the West-Coast USA for SFCC alone, c) there were other reviewers available who would have been more 'suitable'.

Sorry to burst the "OMFuX0R!! STAR WARS R AW3S0M3" (and yes it is for the record) bubble, but SFCC is a world-renown event. We're talking E3-esque only for all things comic/sci-fi/etc so it is perfectly conceivable that someone might be at SFCC for reasons other than to just review SWTOR. As for the west-coast USA? How many software houses are out that neck of the woods? Lost count yet? As for part 'c', we just don't know.
    People who are paid to do a job should try and do a good job. These guys did no research and weren't even too keen on the genre. Does that sound like the type of person who should be previewing anything? Let alone a game where lots of people are interested in and want to know something about, not to read about people who didn't bother their holes to learn about the game complaining that they didn't understand it.

It was a shocking trio of previews by any standard.

I'll agree, not the best of previews, but that doesn't make their critiscms of the experience any less valid. Take the game reviewer part outof the equation and what do you have? Three guys who aren't really familier with the genre sat down and tried to play the game. In other words "three new players". Would their opinions not matter then either?

You asked why they were sent to do a review of SWTOR at SFCC rather than someone else, as if it was a deliberate act. You are making assumptions that a) they were there for SWTOR alone, b) they were in the West-Coast USA for SFCC alone, c) there were other reviewers available who would have been more 'suitable'.

Sorry to burst the "OMFuX0R!! STAR WARS R AW3S0M3" (and yes it is for the record) bubble, but SFCC is a world-renown event. We're talking E3-esque only for all things comic/sci-fi/etc so it is perfectly conceivable that someone might be at SFCC for reasons other than to just review SWTOR. As for the west-coast USA? How many software houses are out that neck of the woods? Lost count yet? As for part 'c', we just don't know.

I think we're on crossed wires here. I'm not saying they were only there to review that game. I'm saying that they were clearly not up to the task to do it in a professional capacity. They didn't know what they were getting in to and most of the article is just about them complaining that they didn't know what they were doing. It's not until the last half of the third article that it takes any real form.
    I'll agree, not the best of previews, but that doesn't make their critiscms of the experience any less valid. Take the game reviewer part outof the equation and what do you have? Three guys who aren't really familier with the genre sat down and tried to play the game. In other words "three new players". Would their opinions not matter then either?

But the thing is, they didn't really give opinions on the game. They gave their opinions on the frustration of not knowing how to play it.
    That doesn't help anyone.

The guys didn't know what they were doing. An editor worth their salt would have seen that and not published the previews. Or at the very least only published the last one because the guy at least seemed to have heard of the game. That's the problem. It's just shoddy journalism and terrible editing. In my opinion, of course. :D

Some raid footage. Just be aware that this is somewhat scripted, they wipe deliberately.

And some leaked PvP below. Unfortunately the accompanying music is awful.

http://www.alterswtor.com/archives/404#more-404

Bit disappointed by the gigantic Rakata boss, I distinctly recall BioWare claiming their raid bosses would not simply be hack and slash affairs against one giant enemy. Oh well, the rest of it looked pretty nice.

If Sorcs AND Marauders can indeed pull, I see bombing translating quickly from WAR to TOR.

The PvP looked pretty interesting too.

[Edit] Something I didn't catch until I watched the clip again in HD, are all players thrown into instances together regardless of level as opposed to separating out by tier like WAR?

• Advertisement

Huttball footage from GamesCom in Germany.

Advertisement