Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Methionine wrote: »
    Huttball footage from GamesCom in Germany.

Very Interesting indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Heres a longer Eternity vault demo where they beat the Droid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Total Biscuits WTF is SWTOR live from Gamescon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Dcully wrote: »
    Total Biscuits WTF is SWTOR live from Gamescon

God that really isn't compelling at all. The graphics seemed weird, very Champions Online like in the builds of them which seems a bit out of place (The character they were using looked like Superman!).

Very underwhelming =/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I quite liked the look of it. I'm not expecting a major change in mechanics, and i'm pretty much going to play it as a single player. As he said, somewhere in the 100's of hours to complete a single player story. Sounds good to me (assuming it's well written).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Bah I almost don't want to watch more of the WTF one so I can see it properly myself when I'm playing my Sith character. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

These videos are getting me even more hyped up for the game!

Release date cannot come fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Bah I almost don't want to watch more of the WTF one so I can see it properly myself when I'm playing my Sith character. >_<
    Hah, I was actually just thinking when I was watching it, that I'm glad I'm planning on going Bounty Hunter for my main, so I'm not even gonna see Korriban for a while.

Korriban looked really pretty though, gameplay was nothing spectacular, but nice nonetheless. Loved the way the map got semi-translucent when you started moving.

Indeed Raph, I'm going Light-Side Sith anyway so it's not as if it's spoiled any major dialogue responses for me. Of course that'll be when I actually get around to playing my Sith characters given I'll be maining a Jedi.

Korriban looked like a nice blend of KOTOR and KOTOR2's ambiance while adding in Jedi Academy's expansiveness. The fact it's considered one of the smaller planets makes me really eager to actually get my hands on the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

More thoughts from TB

Pretty much confirming the game as a online single player game which actually gets my hopes up a bit more since it's something I would like unless the MMO constraints really hurt it later into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Stev_o wrote: »
    More thoughts from TB

Pretty much confirming the game as a online single player game which actually gets my hopes up a bit more since it's something I would like unless the MMO constraints really hurt it later into the game.

The fact that you can choose to play the game as a single player rpg, at least in the early levels, does not make it a single player rpg! It is just one way of playing the game.

You can solo your way all the way to level cap, but then you would be missing out on the large amounts of group content (Heroic quests, Flashpoints, Operations etc ). Also group play is incentivised by increased xp and 'Social' bonuses.

You'll likely level much more slowly going the solo route, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it is still fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

yikes, that is one clunky cover mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wossack wrote: »
    yikes, that is one clunky cover mechanic

Yeah that Smuggler demo looked pretty damm weak tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im hoping that its just an unfamiliarity with the controls, as once or twice he rolled into cover very smoothly and things flowed better

the sith warrior demo was ran through by another guy, and just comentated by TB - and I think it was a better video due to it. No offence intended to the guy, but he's very limited in time, and tries to fit everything in- and cant be easy when ye dont know the buttons..!

I asked some beta-testers posting on www.mmo-champion.com about the perceived clunkiness of the cover mechanic in TBs video and it seems to be just a case of him being a noob :)

It does take a little getting used to, it is a different kind of play-style to what MMOers might be used to, but it is allegedly very, very effective in PvE. Supposedly it plays similar to Mass Effect. No word on it's PvP effectiveness or otherwise unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dcully wrote: »

That PvP match looked pretty lame tbh. Apart from the speeder bike flight when players respawned it looked like exact same formula of CTF style map most MMO have in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just got this this morning

You have pre-booked Star Wars: The Old Republic /PC with your favorite gaming store.

The manufacturer has just announced the new release is now 18/11 - 2011.

This will affect all retailers. Changes to release dates are normal and can happen from time to time.

If there are any further changes to this release date we will let you know straight away! :)

Hope you have a nice day :)

Sincerely,
    COOL SHOP Team

thats the week after Skyrim is released the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Skerries wrote: »
    just got this this morning

You have pre-booked Star Wars: The Old Republic /PC with your favorite gaming store.

The manufacturer has just announced the new release is now 18/11 - 2011.

This will affect all retailers. Changes to release dates are normal and can happen from time to time.

If there are any further changes to this release date we will let you know straight away! :)

Hope you have a nice day :)

Sincerely,
    COOL SHOP Team

thats the week after Skyrim is released the bastards!

It's more than likely just a placeholder date.

If that is the release date, i can't see myself picking it up on day 1. Skyrim will pretty much take up that entire week, and probably then some.

• Advertisement

You want to be careful with that as they are limiting sales to help ease pressure on the servers, better off getting it and not playing it while playing skyrim

Ah i'd be skeptical if they actually go ahead with the limited release. It seems like more of a "oh, you better pre-order it or there won't be any copies left" to get more people to pre-order it. Seems kind of stupid to limit the launch.

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah i'd be skeptical if they actually go ahead with the limited release. It seems like more of a "oh, you better pre-order it or there won't be any copies left" to get more people to pre-order it. Seems kind of stupid to limit the launch.

Nope they are limiting it, its not a ploy, its just to try and stop the usual server meltdown and massive queues that happens during a major mmo release

SWTOR is doing rather well in pre-orders, better than I had realised. As of last week US retail pre-orders were 346K, it is the only PC game in the US retail pre-order top 20. This figure excludes digital pre-orders and the rest of the world. Looks like they'll easily blow past 1 million globally at launch.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Methionine wrote: »
    SWTOR is doing rather well in pre-orders, better than I had realised. As of last week US retail pre-orders were 346K, it is the only PC game in the US retail pre-order top 20. This figure excludes digital pre-orders and the rest of the world. Looks like they'll easily blow past 1 million globally at launch.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php

nice one I've been trying to look around actually for figures on how well EA and bioware have been doing pre-order wise. nice to see the games doing well. Should get pretty close to the million alright but it may not stay that high.

Gotta be honest i wasnt entirely blow away with the Huttball PvP Reveal and i should be cos its basically oddball with lightsabre's

Im not a fan of pvp in general but this does look like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

That does look like fun! Holding his own for a good bit against 3 or more of the sith!

That was quite good. Planned on playing the Trooper, and that looks like a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So, where is the best deal to pre order the CE then? I have the regular edition pre ordered but i can cancel that. My itch of wanting the vip store is getting to me!

Sorry if its already been posted a million times but dont wana go through the thread :P

• Advertisement

If they still have them I remember people saying buying from Amazon.com worked out quite a bit cheaper than any of the partnered companies over here. It was to my knowledge still cheaper even with next day delivery.

Other than that, they're pretty much all the same price from what I've seen.

Advertisement