Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

PVP looks very impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Bioware have outdone themselves with this one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

cannot wait

Is this out this year ? ?? i have been into HMV game etc .... and they have the box's on the shelf yet i cannot find a release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hopefully

no confirmed date afaik though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Is this out this year ? ?? i have been into HMV game etc .... and they have the box's on the shelf yet i cannot find a release date.
    As above, no confirmed release date, but they've stated numerous times that it'll be 'Holiday 2011'. Best guess is probably late November, early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Blowfish wrote: »
    As above, no confirmed release date, but they've stated numerous times that it'll be 'Holiday 2011'. Best guess is probably late November, early December.

Being well documentated that September release date hs been pushed back.

Reliable sources on the web say November end of

They never said a September release though, it was always 'Holiday'. The only thing they announced for September was the Beta weekends, which as far as I understand it are going ahead.

Blowfish wrote: »
    They never said a September release though, it was always 'Holiday'. The only thing they announced for September was the Beta weekends, which as far as I understand it are going ahead.

They always need to feed information so retailers now, and wholesalers and retailers were under the impression of September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Had an interesting conversation with the manager of GAME in Limerick today, according to him (or rather their regional director) SWTOR is going to be delayed until early 2012 for launch. Hopefully he's wrong but if one of the partner companies of BioWare are telling customers to essentially not hold their breath for November it's a bit of a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

TBH, I'm not objecting to a 2012 release as I heard some pretty alarming tales from some folk who were involved in beta testing. One of them in their group had not once been able to play the game because the patcher/installer was completely broken :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd rather 2012 then November 2011. Way too many games out in Nov already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Shiminay wrote: »
    TBH, I'm not objecting to a 2012 release as I heard some pretty alarming tales from some folk who were involved in beta testing. One of them in their group had not once been able to play the game because the patcher/installer was completely broken :eek:

I am not surprised in the slightest at the release date slipping into 2012.

At. All.

I may even reconsider not buying the game if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'm getting less excited about this game. From all the demo's I've seen, the play style is looking very much WoWish. I paid for the game and plan on playing it but, at this point I don't care when it comes out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm getting less excited about this game. From all the demo's I've seen, the play style is looking very much WoWish. I paid for the game and plan on playing it but, at this point I don't care when it comes out.

With respect, what did you expect?
    Its an mmo,they all resemble eachother when watching videos to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Bioware has said that rather than try an avoid the elephant in the room that is WoW, they looked at how WoW had been successful and try to follow some of the principles that Blizzard took to make it successful. For WoW, Blizzard magpied the best bits from it's rivals and just refined them that bit more. Looks like Bioware are doing the same and that is not a bad thing at all.

For all that people can beat Blizzard down with, they have an amazing track record for putting out quality products and they are notorious for the time they take in their development and testing. If Bioware are to delay the launch of SWTOR to get that extra bit of polish on it, then all the better. I've been looking forward to this game since it was first announced in 2008 but I'm not getting hung up on any potential delay on it's release. There are far too many good games going to be released between now and the release of SWTOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dcully wrote: »
    With respect, what did you expect?
    Its an mmo,they all resemble eachother when watching videos to a certain extent.

Yeah True. I think it's cos I'm too sold on the Guild Wars 2 model that it's made SWTOR look very dull to me. Hopefully I'm wrong and SWTOR turns out to be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

tumblr_l18e7nPK091qzymmdo1_500.png

Being like WoW is a GOOD thing, while a carbon copy wouldnt be great, taking some of the good stuff is a good thing.

WoW is the only MMO I've played that kept me interested and whose UI actually lent itself to being efficent and useful when making split second decisions.

A game can look as pretty as it wants, if its handling is muck its muck.

I'm also happy that they are delaying if they arnt happy. Blizzard do it all the time, and Bioware have done it in the past.

It also shows they are not been leant on by EA, who would typically call for a release then post release patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TheDoc wrote: »
    WoW is the only MMO I've played that kept me interested and whose UI actually lent itself to being efficent and useful when making split second decisions.

Planetside & SWG (to list two of the MMOs I have played a lot of) most certainly had 'efficient' UIs. Quite customisable too in fact in the case of SWG at any rate. Eve is a bit overload by contrast.
    It also shows they are not been leant on by EA, who would typically call for a release then post release patch.

I'll disagree with that. EA were doing leaning a-plllenty over the last few months as the debacle over release packages has shown. What I think has happened - assuming it has happened with the release being pushed back - is that someone very high up in Bioware grew a pair and put EA back in their box by slapping them with a long list of test feedback & bugs that showed all was not well in Rome and that basically said "We release now, we'll get a great first month's sales volume and then tank abysmally".

That's my gut instinct. Either EA were being misled by Bioware execs as to the state of the game development & testing, or they started (and it was EA making a lot of those press announcements) making noise to apply pressure to Bioware to release now and fix later so "we can haz mony kthxbye". My money would be on EA being ass-hats (surprise surprise there ... )

Edit: Actually, there's a far simpler explanation than to blame EA (much like SOE) .... it just occurred to me that LucasArts wanted a release around the same time-frame as the blu-ray box-set release (September 2011). Never underestimate LucasArts ability to lean in the most unwelcome way on a computer game; just like they did with SOE and SWG.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has it been confirmed that it's been delayed yet, or is this just based on the Gamestop guy? I know there had never been an official release date, but have they confirmed there is a delay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yehslaw

What is the price for the normal game alone

Kiith wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that it's been delayed yet, or is this just based on the Gamestop guy? I know there had never been an official release date, but have they confirmed there is a delay?
    The 'delay' is entirely speculation, largely based off them cancelling last weekends Beta weekend.
    yehslaw wrote: »
    What is the price for the normal game alone
    Amazon have it for about €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They didn't cancel it, they'd never mentioned it wasn't going to happen - they said they'd happen in september, not every weekend in september. The new client dropping was not something they just said "****it, lets just throw this out there." No way they were planning to do a second beta weekend just before they put it out.

This game is a bit all over the place really. Its on the shelves in the shops they dont have a release date. The last old republic games was never finished either . By the time its out, it will be already out of date .

This game is a bit all over the place really. Its on the shelves in the shops they dont have a release date. The last old republic games was never finished either . By the time its out, it will be already out of date .
    That'd be KotoR 2, the one Bioware had nothing to do with, yeah? ToR's not gonna release unfinished, or it would have done so already. And from what I've seen, it's up to date - not top of the line, but MMOs rarely are. And the areas that they've showed look gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Raphael wrote: »
    That'd be KotoR 2, the one Bioware had nothing to do with, yeah? ToR's not gonna release unfinished, or it would have done so already. And from what I've seen, it's up to date - not top of the line, but MMOs rarely are. And the areas that they've showed look gorgeous.

Teeeeechnically, MMORPGs are never finished:P

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Raphael wrote: »

True enough, Obsidian do make great games but they're always rushed and not what they could and should be. Neverwinter Nights 2, KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol. Makes me worry about the proposed Wheel of Time game if it ever does happen.

True enough, Obsidian do make great games but they're always rushed and not what they could and should be. Neverwinter Nights 2, KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol. Makes me worry about the proposed Wheel of Time game if it ever does happen.
    New Vegas as well. Good games, but all rushed and unfinished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still no release date then ? *sigh*

Advertisement