Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars - The Old Republic CE details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

*Sigh* Fraid not .... each fan friday comes with hopes and dreams of a release date that never seem to materialize ... ah well we solider on ....

Seriously just try and mention the words "release date" on the TOR official forms and watch the feeding frenzy ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I've my fingers crossed for an announcement at Eurogamer this weekend. They've said they want to announce the date in late september or early october.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

The new guild alignment thing is pretty cool! Will allow boardsie guilds to be able to play together/against each other even in different guilds/faction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Yea guild thing goes look pretty sweet alright. Im gonna have my main not in a guild. Gonna lone wolf it for a while with a few of my non guild mates.

Is their an irish boards guild by any chance?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it still possible to preorder and get release code ?

• Advertisement

The game? Totally. The CE? Maybe not, though last time I was in my local GAME (Dundrum) they showed no signs of running out. Call your local store and ask if they have any in stock.

Pre order codes dont ake a difference. You can use a normal or collectors edition, you wont get the benefits of the CE unless you have the key from the physical box

Don't think you're right - my account shows a CE preorder (see attached), so the codes must be different.Also, it would be a pretty big flub to not give CE owners their digital items until launch.

Raphael wrote: »
    Don't think you're right - my account shows a CE preorder (see attached), so the codes must be different.Also, it would be a pretty big flub to not give CE owners their digital items until launch.

Doesnt matter what the account says. Every preorder gets the color stone and the other bonuses come after the physcial cd key within the box is attached to your account. After early access you will have a certain amount of time to apply the retail code, and that is when you will get the other bonses. The current system would be a flop if it is the way you say, as gamestop employees etc would just be robbing all the codes.

Edit: I contacted origin support after thinking this when I preordered and they confirmed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Doesnt matter what the account says. Every preorder gets the color stone and the other bonuses come after the physcial cd key within the box is attached to your account. After early access you will have a certain amount of time to apply the pre order code, and that is when you will get the other bonses. The current system would be a flop if it is the way you say, as gamestop employees etc would just be robbing all the codes.

Edit: I contacted origin support after thinking this when I preordered and they confirmed it
    What about those without a physical box though? The standard and digital deluxe pre-order editions are digital download only.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    What about those without a physical box though? The standard and digital deluxe pre-order editions are digital download only.

You will get an email on the release day or else you will be given the cd key within origin that you then apply to your account. It will probably be through swtor.com rather than origin when it comes to activating it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Vid about companion characters at Gamespot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pretty cool video. I definitely want to get me a Jawa companion. Looked hilarious. Also, hopefully the npc's will interract with each other. Looking forward to this even more now.

Kiith wrote: »
    Pretty cool video. I definitely want to get me a Jawa companion. Looked hilarious. Also, hopefully the npc's will interract with each other. Looking forward to this even more now.
    Apparently they do a bit, but not nearly as much as the likes of Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Makes sense, when you only have one with you at a time, that they'd interact less. Hope you get da2 style scenes between them on your ship though, that'd be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Just got the release date announcement e-mail: 22-12-2011!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

and we have a release date............About time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Apparently the TOR European servers are to be based in Dublin. I'm a little surprised at this, thought they would have been more centrally located in Europe. Bioware are also saying that Ireland is upgrading it's internet infrastructure specifically for TOR. Has someone been pulling their leg? Or is this true?

http://darthhater.com/2011/09/26/eurogamer-expo-2011-meet-and-greet-qa-highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Apparently there's a new undersea cable between Ireland and the UK laid that's due to come online in early December that's going to improve Ireland's connection to the UK and mainland Europe a bit.

As for who any infrastructure upgrade is done for, honestly the idea it was done for a single company, as opposed to part of the long-running goal of improving the national infrastructure in order to attract more companies to the IT and technology sector here. Maybe the government said it to them but if either side took the remark seriously... :rolleyes:

Bioware already has its European HQ in Ireland, so it's not a big surprise that they're putting the servers here, rather than setting up a division in another country - would have had mega bureaucracy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got 2 hours of Game Time at yesterday's opening of the Bioware office in Galway and I gotta say I loved it.

The entire global support centre is based in Galway, not just European as I first thought it was and they're hiring an additional 200 people to cover it. The government has said that it's targeting the computer game industry for employment opportunities, so it's no surprise that infrastructure's been pushed out and tbh, if a global brand like EA/Bioware comes along saying "we're gonna have 400 jobs if you have the tubes", that's incentive enough to for the IDA to make sure the roll out for something that was planned (and budgeted for) anyway happens that bit quicker. If the Taoiseach is coming along to open an office like that, it's a sure sign that they're desperate for any and all good news possible.

But anyway, politics aside, the game was great fun. I'd been playing for what I thought was 20 mins and they said "time for lunch" and it turned out I'd been playing for 90 mins. Took a run with the Republic trooper first, that was a lot of fun in a "pew pew" sort of way. Took a quick look at a Bounty hunter afterwards and I really like his ability to duck behind cover and shoot from there taking less damage overall.

I now can't wait to get properly stuck into this game and am searching for a collectors edition to pre-order and get my early access code (Gamestop told me today that they were out of early access codes for some reason).

Try GAME in Dundrum, Dav. They've had some on the shelf every time I was in.

Picked up a copy in Game on Dawson St (they had a few) and am just waiting for SWTOR.com to come back online so I can lash in my pre-order code :D

Oneofus. Oneofus.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I got 2 hours of Game Time at yesterday's opening of the Bioware office in Galway and I gotta say I loved it.

Gah, why wasn't this publicised? If I'd known there was an opportunity to play the game yesterday I'd have been in Galway for it!

It was a press/media invite only event I'm afraid.

They cut short our play time because there was some event going on in Paris that required all the accounts we'd been using to play which caused me both RAEG and lols :)

Ah, pity. Still at least we have a definitely countdown to work from and hopefully I might be lucky enough to get into the European beta.

Do we know what the playable species are for this game ?

Do we know what the playable species are for this game ?
    It varies based on class, but the ones I can recall are Zabrak, Twi'lek, Site Pureblood, Chiss, Human, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki and possibly Cyborg.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    It varies based on class, but the ones I can recall are Zabrak, Twi'lek, Site Pureblood, Chiss, Human, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki and possibly Cyborg.
    Cyborg's definitely in. A little bird told me.

Advertisement