Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling Machines in Chippers

Options
  • 20-07-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I was in the only chipper in Summerhill last week and I noticed a gaming machine behind the front door, where it was not visible from the road. A chap came in and got coins. He put cash in the machine and sometimes lost and sometimes won cash from the machine. I saw no evidence of any license or certificate that this chipper had a license for gambling. Are these machines legal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't think they have to display a license for the machine. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never seen any chipper or pub for that matter display a license though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

short answer , yes they are legal
    you only noticed them in the chippers now ?
    they have been around in them for atleast the past 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

I was in the only chipper in Summerhill last week and I noticed a gaming machine behind the front door, where it was not visible from the road. A chap came in and got coins. He put cash in the machine and sometimes lost and sometimes won cash from the machine. I saw no evidence of any license or certificate that this chipper had a license for gambling. Are these machines legal

Better get the FBI on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

For entertainment only ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

They've been in chippers and pubs since Houghton put the ball in the England net. Two takeaways in Trim had such machines in the late eighties, one still has it to this day.
    As regards licensing, I'm pretty sure licenses are required, but they're not required to be displayed. If an inspector from the relevant department or body came in and asked to see it, then yes, they would have to produce it upon demand.
    Just for the record, some local shops around the county used to have such machines until legislation was introduced in the early nineties, which required that two separate restrooms be provided where genders mixed in games halls. That law was introduced to mitigate bad behaviour in gaming arcades but the law was applied with a heavy hand right down to business places where just one gaming machine might have been in service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement