Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mizuno Wave Prophecy ..... ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Haven't worn them (but run in Mizunos generally). You could try Amphibian King, which usually stocks the Mizuno range.

don't have them but 370g for a running shoe is very heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

glasso wrote: »
    don't have them but 370g for a running shoe is very heavy.

Agreed they seem heavy but as far as I know they weigh the same as my Asics Kinsei's.

hootini wrote: »
    Agreed they seem heavy but as far as I know they weigh the same as my Asics Kinsei's.
    They probably would, as the Kinsei is a very heavy shoe. Have you considered going to a proper running shop and trying various different models? Base2Race (Ballymount), Amphibian King (Bray), Runworks, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

They probably would, as the Kinsei is a very heavy shoe. Have you considered going to a proper running shop and trying various different models? Base2Race (Ballymount), Amphibian King (Bray), Runworks, etc?

the wave prophecy is a neutral show with maximum support.A very expensive shoe rrp around 190-95euro it would be outside most peoples budget.
    Going forward it might replace the Creation,main difference would be the full length Wave plate.

@Krusty_Clown just to say Amphibian king are stockists for mizuno and not Base2race;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

@Krusty_Clown just to say Amphibian king are stockists for mizuno and not Base2race;)

why oh why do people keep saying base2race:confused:
    base2race_medium.jpg

:confused: Isn't the Amphibian King shop in Base2Race? Do they not stock Mizuno?
    RayCun wrote:
    why oh why do people keep saying base2race
    :confused::confused:

Double confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

:confused: Isn't the Amphibian King shop in Base2Race? Do they not stock Mizuno?

Just to help:

Yes is the answer to both questions.

Base2Race or B2R is a supermarket of goodies & toys for all types of athelete with Velomotion, B2R Swim school, DK Orthotics and Amphibian King all under the one roof.

All the Amphibian King stores (Ballymount, Bray & Oranmore) do stock Mizuno.

The Prophecy is a heavy and expensive shoe as thirstywork2 says. It is very similar to the Creation but has a full length infinity wave structure and a few other extras.

We were invited to stock the Prophecy, we just didnt feel it was representative of the shoes demanded by the majority of our customers on account of the weight and the retail price of almost €200. The Wave Creation is doing a good job for those customers who like the extra structure and support of the neutral shoe.

Just to note that the ASICS key ranges (Kayano, Kinsei & Nimbus) have all dropped weight by about 20%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just to note that the ASICS key ranges (Kayano, Kinsei & Nimbus) have all dropped weight by about 20%.

I had the Kinsei before, a couple of years back. They were the heaviest lumps of rubbish I ever had the misfortune to lace up. When buying replacement runners, the salesman told tales he heard anecdotally of these shoes keeping several physio's very busy. Who are these heavy shoes aimed at- is it the very overweight beginner runner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:confused::confused:

Double confused.

It's all very confusing :)

All the signs say Base2race, but the running bits are really Amphibian King. So the paradigmatic conversation goes
    where can I get these runners?
    you could try Base2Race, in Ballymount
    actually, you mean Amphibian King
    either will do, really. So where is this Amphibian King then?
    base2Race, Ballymount
    but I thought you said...?
    :D

• Advertisement

I had the Kinsei before, a couple of years back. They were the heaviest lumps of rubbish I ever had the misfortune to lace up. When buying replacement runners, the salesman told tales he heard anecdotally of these shoes keeping several physio's very busy. Who are these heavy shoes aimed at- is it the very overweight beginner runner?

The heavier structured neutral shoes like the Mizuno Wave Creation, ASICS Kinsei are for heavier people full stop.

The Mizuno Creation is classed for up to 100kg giving maximum cushioning where as the Mizuno Rider is up to 85kg. A heavier person in a Wave Rider will basically bottom out the structure of the shoe with every impact, feeling the contact with the ground (I'm not getting into foot strike or mid / fore / heel strikers) and shortening the life of the shoe.

Same goes for the heavier supportive shoes eg Kayano etc maximum amount of cushioning in their structure aarrangement.

HTH.

Hey amphkingwest, while we're on the subject of the life of a shoe, what kind of mileage would you typically (usual caveats) expect to get from a Wave rider? Also, would you expect to get lesser mileage from a Mizuno Precision (being a lighter and less supportive shoe)? Thanks!

Hey amphkingwest, while we're on the subject of the life of a shoe, what kind of mileage would you typically (usual caveats) expect to get from a Wave rider? Also, would you expect to get lesser mileage from a Mizuno Precision (being a lighter and less supportive shoe)? Thanks!

As a rough guide most training shoes (Rider, Inspire, Nimbus, Kayano, Adrenaline, Dyad etc) are 400-600 mile shoes. We'll generally advise around 500 for most people on hard surface.

Caveats including correct weight class of shoe for user, amount of use (a shoe that gets two 20mile runs per week will last marginally longer than one that gets 4 x 10 miles - due to resting & recovery of the shoe.

Typically the performance shoes Precision, DS Racer, Brooks ST Racer etc would be shorter life down to 100-150 miles for some of the all out racers Saucony A4.

HOWEVER - performance and racing shoes generally are of a lower heel to toe differential (12mm in typical trainer) 4, 6 or 8 in performance and racers. This means you will naturally tend to strike more midfoot, reducing your heel strike and taking less impact off your heel, this is how you can get through with less cushioning in a racer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

The heavier structured neutral shoes like the Mizuno Wave Creation, ASICS Kinsei are for heavier people full stop.

The Mizuno Creation is classed for up to 100kg giving maximum cushioning where as the Mizuno Rider is up to 85kg. A heavier person in a Wave Rider will basically bottom out the structure of the shoe with every impact, feeling the contact with the ground (I'm not getting into foot strike or mid / fore / heel strikers) and shortening the life of the shoe.

Same goes for the heavier supportive shoes eg Kayano etc maximum amount of cushioning in their structure aarrangement.

HTH.

Can I ask, in relation to the Asics Kayanos - are these more for a 'heavy' runner - as in ~85-100kg?
    If so, What would be a more suitable shoe for someone about 70-74kg?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Hey Krusty,
    I have a pair of Asics Gel DS that I use for races/tris. It was more a long distance (post 10 miler) shoe that I was thinking of. I have no issues with the DS's - I was just thinking they might be super comfy(er) on long runs?

Maybe I'm being nuts?!

:)

hootini wrote: »
    Hey Krusty,
    I have a pair of Asics Gel DS that I use for races/tris. It was more a long distance (post 10 miler) shoe that I was thinking of. I have no issues with the DS's - I was just thinking they might be super comfy(er) on long runs?

Maybe I'm being nuts?!

:)
    The Waverider is a long distance training shoe for neutral runners (and pretty light too). Might be worth giving them a try. Many runners aren't too happy with the changes made from the Waverider 13 to the Waverider 14, though they might suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Just looking into a new pair myself. Have ran in Wave Riders from 11 to 13 and have put well beyond the recommended mileage into each of them! Has anyone heard of the Mizuno Wave Hawk. Seems the same weight as the riders but far cheaper?!

Many runners aren't too happy with the changes made from the Waverider 13 to the Waverider 14, though they might suit you.

You'll be delighted to know that you were listened to and Mizuno are bringing changes to the WR15 that will return it to being very similar to the 13 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

I'm currently running in a pair of wave rider 12's i think with approx 300-350 miles on them. I rotate them with asics nimbus 13. I am about 98kg and doing 30-40 miles per week training for the marathon. I was not aware of different runners for larger folk and wonder do I need to change shoes. I started running in January and did 18 miles lsr yesterday without too much pain except expected torture for last couple of miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

You'll be delighted to know that you were listened to and Mizuno are bringing changes to the WR15 that will return it to being very similar to the 13 model.

this is good news - i trained for the connemarathon and ran it in a pair of WR13s - i loved them but they are knackered so i went for a pair of 14s to replace them i've done just over 100 miles in them and i still can't warm to them - am now thinking of giving up and looking for a new shoe. Any suggestions for something similar to the WR13s? when are the 15s due out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

I was a big fan of the WR 13's but hated the 14's. I ended up getting a pair of Nimbus 12's a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with them - a great shoe. Liked them so much I went and bought the new 13's (decent sale on in Elverys at the moment).

I think the WR 15's are out in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

amphkingwest, maybe you can help - I've been running in mizuno wave inspire shoes for a few years. I've got a really old pair of wave inspire 3 shoes, over 800 miles on them now and they still feel fine. I started to replace them with wave inspire 5 over a year ago and have about 400 miles on those but they just don't feel as good as the wi3 pair. I've now just bought a pair of Brooks adrenaline GTS 11 shoes. Wearing them around the house the arches feel really high, not at all comfortable. Is high arch support a feature of brooks shoes? (BTW I'm around 60kg and aiming for 15-20 miles a week)

zinzan1 wrote: »
    amphkingwest, maybe you can help - I've been running in mizuno wave inspire shoes for a few years. I've got a really old pair of wave inspire 3 shoes, over 800 miles on them now and they still feel fine. I started to replace them with wave inspire 5 over a year ago and have about 400 miles on those but they just don't feel as good as the wi3 pair. I've now just bought a pair of Brooks adrenaline GTS 11 shoes. Wearing them around the house the arches feel really high, not at all comfortable. Is high arch support a feature of brooks shoes? (BTW I'm around 60kg and aiming for 15-20 miles a week)

Hi zinzan,

I'll qualify this by stating my own preference for the Inspire.

I too have pairs of 3, 4, 5 (yuck) and 7's. My 3's and 4's have little or no rubber left on the soles, yet I still love wearing them when I get a chance.

There is a huge difference between the two shoes. The Brooks Adrenaline is a gel based absorption system with cushioning and structure whereas the Mizuno is the wave system, a firmer feel and more flexible structuring.

The Brooks also have a high arch position. Simply take the sock liners out of the two pairs of shoes to compare them. Mizuno is very flat internally, allowing your foot to behave very naturally.

I've found the 7's better this year than the 5 &6's and have got a decent amount of mileage out of the first pair, over 700 by combining it with a newer pair with about 400 on them now. Using the newer pair for mostly long runs and DCM in 2 weeks and the old pair for fast work and short, wet runs.

Not knowing how your foot is functioning its hard to make a call on this. As a rough idea, if you have been injury free in the Mizuno I would tend not to change.

The Wi 8 will be out soon giving you an option before Christmas.

Advertisement