Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading My PC - Motherboard and RAM

Options
  • 20-07-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Any help here is greatly appreciated; I'm a novice when it comes to this sort of thing, so please be patient! :)

I currently have a Quad Core machine (Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz), with 4GBs of RAM, and an Asus P5K VM Motherboard. As far as I know, 4GBs is the max amount of RAM my machine can take, both from the motherboard and operating system point of view (Windows XP).

I run the machine for music composition/production, and the RAM limitations are becoming a serious problem. I need a minimum of 8GBs (will have to ditch the RAM I have I'd imagine), and don't know if I should buy a completely new machine, or upgrade the operating system and the relevant components. The only reason I would be afraid that I might need a new machine is that if I were to upgrade the parts (get new RAM and motherboard), would they have knock-on effects, such that eventually I'd nearly have to replace everything?

Any help will be more than welcome!!!

Thanks.

(P.S. if I need to post more info let me know)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It says a max of 8GB on the Asus page.
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5KVM/#specifications

You might be able to sqeeze a bit more out of that machine with some overclocking.
    You can get 4GB of RAM for about €60 - which you could get 8GB DDR3 for with a new machine.
    A new OS would cost you nearly €100 as well. Unless you are a student or have children.

If your machine will be sufficient with 8GB, then don't change the entire system.

If you think that you'd need 16GB and need more performance, you could buy a new AMD machine for €500. Maybe a bit less depending on what is salvageable.
    To perform a lot better, you'd need to be spending from €700 for an intel system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Thanks a million Monotype,

I judged the max RAM capabilities based on a couple of websites I was on (crucial.com being one of them), which allowed me to input the motherboard manufacturer and model. Both of them only returned compatibility results for 2GB sticks.

Where would be the best place to buy compatible RAM, ideally 2x4GB sticks? Memoryc maybe? I think 8GB should be enough, realistically. I will have to update my OS though, as the software I'm running would seriously benefit from 64-bit capability, plus, I think Windows XP will only recognize a max of 4GB? (Only 3.25GB showing on mine, and I have 4GB installed)
    Monotype wrote:
    If you think that you'd need 16GB and need more performance, you could buy a new AMD machine for €500. Maybe a bit less depending on what is salvageable.

Where would you get one for that kind of price, out of interest?

Thanks again for your help. :)

I forgot to mention that I'll also be installing a Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. On the specs page for the Asus P5K VM Motherboard, for storage it says 4 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports - would that mean that I have space for this? (I have 2 Barracuda internal hard drives as it stands - one for 160GB, and the other for 320GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You have four SATA 3Gb/s ports on your motherboard. So two of them are used on your 2xHDD's and I assume you have one CD drive, so you might have one free SATA port. If you have 2 CD drives then you will have no SATA ports free. Best way to check is take off the side panel and have a look see is there one SATA port empty. If not, you going to have to free one to use your new HDD.

About the RAM, atm there is NO point in buying 8GB since your running a 32-bit OS, which can only use 4GB which is why you only have 3.25 available. And as far as I know 64-bit XP isn't exactly a well supported OS, but I don't really know for sure. So if you do want to use more RAM your going to need a new OS.

As for the €500 system. You'll get it here :) To get a computer that cheap you buy all the parts from a hardware site like http://www.hardwareversand.de/ and build it yourself, it's much cheaper hence the very low cost.

Priori wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to buy compatible RAM, ideally 2x4GB sticks? Memoryc maybe?

4GB DDR2 sticks are very expensive - nearly €140 for two.

An example of a build.

Total build cost: €447.22 + €30 shipping
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€73.47
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Box, Sockel AM3|€93.37
    8GB-Kit GEIL Value Plus PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL9|€53.12
    ASRock 890GM Pro3 R2.0, Sockel AM3+, mATX|€78.53
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€89.75
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 (Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)|€17.64
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.34
    • I've included an expensive case as I think noise would be an important factor for a system like that. You can get cheap ones for €30.
    • Graphics are onboard - fine for HD video or light games. Not a gaming machine.
    • Board is compatible with the new processors to be released soon, giving you an upgrade path.
    • I'm assuming that you already have a sound card, given your line of work. If not, I'll pick a board with a better sound card or someone can help you pick a dedicated card.
    • DVD drive not included - they're about €17 for the cheaper writers.
    • You could get them to build it for €20 or build yourself.
    • Hard drive not included

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, really helpful stuff.
    Monotype wrote:
    4GB DDR2 sticks are very expensive - nearly €140 for two.

Do you know if the motherboard I have would be compatible with a single 8GB stick of RAM, or would I have to go with the 2x4GB sticks if I'm sticking with the system I have? I had assumed the latter.
    Fluffy88 wrote:
    So two of them are used on your 2xHDD's and I assume you have one CD drive, so you might have one free SATA port.

Thanks Fluffy88, that's my set-up alright. I'll have one free so.
    Fluffy88 wrote:
    So if you do want to use more RAM your going to need a new OS.

I had figured as much. I'm not sure whether to go with Vista or 7. I don't know much about 7, and don't particularly like Vista (I'm using Vista right now on my laptop - my studio PC runs XP). Which would you recommend? I've read that Windows 7 is lighter on resources. Is this the case do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I would probably go with 7 as it's basically a better more optimised version of Vista.
    Win7 requirements: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/products/system-requirements
    Win Vista requirements: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/products/system-requirements

I don't think that you can get desktop DDR2 8GB sticks. Pairs of RAM are best - The qualified vendor list doesn't give even examples of 2x4GB. I think that you'd have to scour the internet for examples to be sure.

You'd be mad to go with Vista.

Do you reckon these sticks would be compatible with my motherboard?

8GB Patriot DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHz CL6 Dual Channel kit -2x4GB

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Priori wrote: »
    Do you reckon these sticks would be compatible with my motherboard?

8GB Patriot DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHz CL6 Dual Channel kit -2x4GB

Thanks again guys.

Yes, once you upgrade your OS to a 64-bit one as above

• Advertisement

Monotype,

The Windows 7 you linked to above - what's an 'SB' version? Is there a reason it's nearly half the price of the Windows 7 stocked by elara.ie?

On elara, that's the retail version. It covers you if you were to do a lot of upgrades on your system and you can bring it to a new system.

SB is the OEM version. It's tied to the motherboard you install it on. Good for new systems which are to last a while.

Another version you might consider is the upgrade version. You can use it if you have a previous version of windows. These can be got for €45.45 from software4students.ie if you are a student or have kids attending school.

Thanks a million Monotype, you've been extremely helpful! :) I've just made my order at hardwareversand.de.

If you've ordered from there, they'll send you a German disc + key.

You will need to download the English disc and use the key they send out. Yes, this is perfectly legal - the key is what you are actually buying.

If you are concerned about the legitimacy of the image you download, I can give you a link to Microsoft's checksum/hash list.

I would only really consider HWV worthwhile with larger orders. Their €30 postage is fairly steep for just a few items.

Hmmm, had I known that I may have ordered from elsewhere. Will I have to burn that image to DVD again in order to install it?

Also, something that just occurred to me earlier - I presume this SB/OEM version will install ok with the motherboard I already have - i.e. it doesn't matter if the motherboard was used previously for a different operating system?

You can also install it to USB. MS had a USB tool but they removed it. You can still find it around or use an alternative one.

The system builder version works fine with any computer but you can only install it once (unless you ring Microsoft up saying that your board blew up or something and you need a reinstall).
    I would suggest that you install it without a key and avail of the 30-day trial to see if it works without activating. You can actually extend the trial 3 times.

Thanks Monotype, I'll try installing it without activating and see how I get on.

Monotype wrote: »
    If you've ordered from there, they'll send you a German disc + key.

You will need to download the English disc and use the key they send out.

I actually received two discs - one is an OEM Preinstallation disc, the other Service Pack 1. Both are in German.

I'm downloading the disc image you linked to at the moment. Will this be all I need?

Yeah that's it. There's probably SP1 images around too, but you can get it with updates if you want.

Just install it without the key and untick activation online. Install your drivers etc. When you're satisfied that everything works after a few days as planned, go ahead and activate with your key.

You can check the integrity of the file too by matching hashes with the official ones.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx
    File Name: en_windows_7_home_premium_x64_dvd_x15-65733.iso
    Date Published (UTC): 8/6/2009 9:59:56 AM Last Updated (UTC): 4/15/2011 10:34:30 AM
    SHA1: 336779EA6B65F63E11A609B4D021439C47AB315B ISO/CRC: 56D954E4
    Available to Levels: MSDN OS (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Pro (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (Empower); MSDN OS (Retail); VS Pro with MSDN (Retail); VSTS Team Suite (VL); VSTS Architecture (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (MPN); VSTS Test (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (MPN); MSDN Universal (VL); VSTS Database (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (Retail); VSTS Test (Retail); VSTS Development (Retail); VSTS Architecture (Retail); VSTS Team Suite (Retail); VSTS Database (Retail); BizSpark Admin; BizSpark; VS Pro with MSDN Embedded (Retail); VS Pro with MSDN Embedded (VL); VS Test Pro with MSDN (VL); VS Ultimate with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (VL); VS Pro with MSDN (VL); VS Test Pro with MSDN (Retail); VS Premium with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (MPN); VS Ultimate with MSDN (NFR FTE);
    Instructions and Resources
    If you are experiencing installation issues related to performing clean installs of the integrated SP1 version of this product, please review KB Article 2534111 for more information.

You would need a hash generator program such as this one. After you install it, you get a new tab when you click properties on a file which gives various checksum types.

Advertisement