Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Electrical Regs test - Info needed!

Options
  • 20-07-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey lads,

Just wondering has anyone been to Oz and back?

Planing on going over soon, qualified electrician for the last ten months. Questions is really is there some sort of test or course I could do to familiarize myself with there system, or is it even needed/ looked for by employers?

Cheers, malafela

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

you need to do a safe pass over there, its called the green ticket i think.Ya defo need that to do any work. Ya can do a course to be a recognised electrician over there.But if its a one year holiday visa i would not bother with it and just work as an electricians assistant. You do all electrical work except terminating at the fuseboard, which the registered electricians do....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 malafela

thanks for that diggerdunne

you reckon the test is pointless so? would you know if there is a big difference in wages between the two?

also is the system they use that different to our own?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

when i was over there back in 2005 all the irish lads were workin on the ABN number, its the same as workin for yourself at home. You can apply for the ABN online over there, its really easy to do. I was getting $25 aus , i know some irish lads gettin up to $32 aus. This was into the hand. With the ABN you look after your own tax and all that. The Aus electricians are all in the union and they get union days which is every third Monday off, sick pay etc. So on the ABN ya dont work ya dont get paid but your on a holiday visa so ya dont really care, all ya want is food, rent and beer money. Your employeer know's your back packin and know's ya'll be missin on the beer and so it works both ways... I think the Aus union elec's were gettin about $32-$35 aus, that could have changed since then.... Anythin else ya wanna know just ask....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Im here at the moment and have been working as a TA(trades assistant) for 9 months. I was going to get my license but its alot of hassle.
    A few of my mates have gotten their licenses.
    You will have to get your trade recognised and you will have to go do your capstone exams in order to get your Australian license.
    I have been told that they have changed the regulations regarding trade recognition. From what I heard, you cant get your trade recognised while on a working holiday visa. You have to be a resident, basically sponsored to do it.
    Its alot of bullsh*t really. :rolleyes:

Advertisement