Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throw an eye over this please

Options
  • 20-07-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of buying me a replacement for the old dell 9200 that I've been using for the last few years, its just creaking too much to throw shiney new stuff like il2 sturmovik: cliffs of dover or The Witcher 2 at it.

I did some research a while back and had selected the below from hardwareversand. Will be using this with a Radeon HD 5850 I bought a few months back. Anyone any suggestions or observations for improvement?

Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3
    HV20CO45DE 4GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 CL7
    HV203NZUDE Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz
    HVR650XCDE XFX PRO650W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply
    HV13SBG5DE SEAGATE Barracuda Green 1,5TB 5900.3 SATA 3 6Gb/s 64MB 8,9cm (3,5")

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Can you afford the 2500K instead?
    You don't need 650W for one card - is crossfire in the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can you afford the 2500K instead?

doesnt seem to be much of a price difference so yep.
    You don't need 650W for one card - is crossfire in the plan?

Crossfire is possible but it's not really probable. The 650w is more a reaction to being limited by my PSU's in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just a note on the HDD: You might want a 7,200 RPM drive instead of, or an SSD in addition to, what you have

tbh I was just adding the drive because because hardwareversand seem to insist on it for a build from what I can see :confused: Was gonna reuse my own drives. SSD would be a bit too spendy for me I think

You could add the build item itself and all the items individually.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746

A system like that would be fairly easy to put together yourself.

If your drives are a few years old, they could be slower than what's around now.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    You could add the build item itself and all the items individually.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746

A system like that would be fairly easy to put together yourself.

I've built my own a few times in the past (with mixed results) but right now I'm constantly having other people dropping me off their laptops to be fixed and a batch of new dell PCs in work that are basket cases hardware wise so fiddling with hardware gives me no joy these days.
    If your drives are a few years old, they could be slower than what's around now
    You could well be right, i upgraded the HDD in this machine just a year or two back but looking at it in Sandra its only a 5400 :(. I've a couple of 250gb disks that are 7200 rpm stashed away but they're about 4 years old now though.

Start charging. They'll soon stop destroying your pleasures.

Don't rely too much on rotational speeds, they don't mean a whole lot except comparing within generations.

Advertisement