Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAWS going door to door in Knocknacarra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unless it's a real scam I don't see why you should warn people off about them?
    Any reliable links/sources?

I'm asking because if you are trying to impede charity work it can blow up in (boards) face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

They were in Shantalla yesterday and the guy who called to the door seemed a bit strange, I was wondering was it legit or a scam. He was fairly rude when I wouldn't give him any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

Here is one bona fide link where they are recruiting volunteers in the category of "Sales": http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1106854

People should not donate to them until it is established for sure what commission they pay those who go door-to-door. If, for instance, their "volunteers" are being paid 30% commission, then many people would prefer to donate directly to charities such as EGAR, ISPCA and MADRA, where volunteers seek no such commissions.

Also, if it is the case that as little as 10-20% of collected monies are going to the animals, then people would generally prefer not to donate.

If it is the case that PAWS is not a registered charity, but a profit-making company of sorts, then generally people would prefer not to donate.

It would be good if someone from the management of PAWS were to come online here and answer the QUESTIONS which are being raised here.

I do not have any links. I am, however, aware that there are many questions people working in other rescues would like to ask them and that there has been at least one recent article in a local newspaper which raised similar questions, the link to which I cannot find.

I understand how important it is not to expose Boards.ie to any trouble and I trust any further poster will as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Here is one bona fide link where they are recruiting volunteers in the category of "Sales": http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1106854

People should not donate to them until it is established for sure what commission they pay those who go door-to-door.

I don't see any suggestion that they're using volunteers to do fundraising.

They're advertising for staff, presumably they pay (at least) minimum wage. Frankly, I'd want at least that for begging in the street on their behalf.

I don't see the fact that they're using staff makes them any less worthy. In some ways, it's actually more honest, IMHO, as it provides genuine employment for people who are finding it hard to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Know what you are saying but at the end of the day. When did doing the right thing require minimum wage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A friend used to collect for ISPCC when he was younger, the buckets and envelopes. They were pretty transparent about the 'cut' system they used then (not sure if it changed since). A third of each pound to the collector, a third to admin (everything, including staff, ads, rent etc) and a third would directly reach a child.
    I was a bit shocked at first but then saw the volume of people they got on flag day, the extent of their campaigns etc. I'm sure a lot of charities are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lolabunny

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't see any suggestion that they're using volunteers to do fundraising.

They're advertising for staff, presumably they pay (at least) minimum wage. Frankly, I'd want at least that for begging in the street on their behalf.

I don't see the fact that they're using staff makes them any less worthy. In some ways, it's actually more honest, IMHO, as it provides genuine employment for people who are finding it hard to get work.

hi mary i am all for employment but these people are taking away from geniuine animal charity:mad::mad: that does such great work here in galway and it is not right at all .if you want to donate please do to local animal societies

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Know what you are saying but at the end of the day. When did doing the right thing require minimum wage?

When it's something that people are doing for a living, rather than as a hobby.

To be honest, I'd rather give money to organisations that have staff, rather than ones that operate mostly with volunteers. They ones with staff tend to be big enough to make a real difference, and to operate with far more professional standards.

When it's something that people are doing for a living, rather than as a hobby.

To be honest, I'd rather give money to organisations that have staff, rather than ones that operate mostly with volunteers. They ones with staff tend to be big enough to make a real difference, and to operate with far more professional standards.

Hi mary why should the money be wasted on staff i have volunteered for years with various animal welfare societies . so are you saying the likes of GSPCA ,MADRA,EGAR, etc,etc dont make a difference these groups do more for animal welfare then any big organization money should not be wasted on a permanent staff when a volunteer can do the same job and the money can then be used that was raised for the animals .i take offense to your statement :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I would rather see my money going to a local animal shelter that recieves 100% of the funds

• Advertisement

lolabunny wrote: »
    Hi mary why should the money be wasted on staff i have volunteered for years with various animal welfare societies . so are you saying the likes of GSPCA ,MADRA,EGAR, etc,etc dont make a difference these groups do more for animal welfare then any big organization money should not be wasted on a permanent staff when a volunteer can do the same job and the money can then be used that was raised for the animals .i take offense to your statement :mad:

GSPCA have some volunteers, for sure.

And they have some FAS workers too - folks who get their dole + travel allowance for working for them.

And they have some staff.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that without the paid staff, the volunteers wouldn't be nearly as effective. And I'll also bet that it's the paid staff who do the hard jobs: rescuing neglected animals, taking prosecutions, negotiating leases on the premises they use, writing funding proposals to get cash from corporate sponsors, doing the budget, making the hard decisions about what services to provide. Etc.

As so "why should the money be wasted on staff" - how about because those staff need to pay the rent and feed their families?

I'm really glad that you're independently wealthy, and can afford to volunteer your time. Fact is, most people aren't. Sure they can give a few hours a week, and sure a few hours/week add up. But the time required to co-ordinate 20 volunteers is a lot more than the time required to manage one full-time person.

Also, if an organisation pays staff, you can expect them to be skilled, and hold them to account for the service they provide. If you use volunteers, sure you can set standards, but at the end of the day you have to accept what they can give.

GSPCA have some volunteers, for sure.

And they have some FAS workers too - folks who get their dole + travel allowance for working for them.

And they have some staff.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that without the paid staff, the volunteers wouldn't be nearly as effective. And I'll also bet that it's the paid staff who do the hard jobs: rescuing neglected animals, taking prosecutions, negotiating leases on the premises they use, writing funding proposals to get cash from corporate sponsors, doing the budget, making the hard decisions about what services to provide. Etc.

As so "why should the money be wasted on staff" - how about because those staff need to pay the rent and feed their families?

I'm really glad that you're independently wealthy, and can afford to volunteer your time. Fact is, most people aren't. Sure they can give a few hours a week, and sure a few hours/week add up. But the time required to co-ordinate 20 volunteers is a lot more than the time required to manage one full-time person.

Also, if an organisation pays staff, you can expect them to be skilled, and hold them to account for the service they provide. If you use volunteers, sure you can set standards, but at the end of the day you have to accept what they can give.

coming from a mod to use that tone with me is really terrible to use a discriminatory remark to justifie a point saying i am independently wealthy is awful .what is a world coming to that i have to be insulted like that i like most people am just an ordinary person who works their normal 39 hour week and i want an apologie i am all for making a point and having a frank discussion but there is no need to insult some one to make a point and take away from the discussion at hand and for your information i give up some of my spare time willingly as i see it as a pleasure to help the animals and societies that need the help.
    Sorry for such a late reply but low and be hold i was actually working and am :eek:not independently;:eek: wealth wish i was i can dream..........:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

From a regulatory point of view, organisations that collect voluntary contributions often need paid staff to deal with the dispersal of these funds and that is where I think Mary is coming from. Take organisations like Croi, Cancer Care West, Western Alzheimers, Galway Hospice, Brothers of Charity, St. Vincent de Paul and many others, which depend on voluntary contributions, they need full time staff to coordinate where this money is spent and how it is best spent. She was not undermining what you do but putting into perspective what happens and what should happen when caring organisations collect money from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This has turned into a organisation thread rather than a Galway one. And I'm not entirely comfortable with the suggestion not to give to an animal welfare organisation.
    So, if you want to discuss animal welfare organisations then please do so in Animals.

I've been PMd that persons pretending to be from Paws are calling to the door, to check if you have dogs etc.
    Apparently this has happened in another county, no reliable source but it seems they are only pretending to be from Paws.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement