Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop scrounging pennies, literally

Options
  • 20-07-2011 4:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed recently that every gamestop I go into and buy games from, none of them have any 1 cent coins. Everytime I'm told, sorry we've no 1 cent coins. This has happened in Gamestop Santry, Swords, Balbriggan, Blanchardstown Limerick and the various ones around Dublin city centre. I never cause a fuss about it since it's small change but thinking about it Gamestop must be raking in a few million a year doing this. Anyone know if this practice is illegal or can they do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was told this in Athlone store too! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

In future just tell them "that's fine, I'll take a 2c instead!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty much get it any time I buy anything in Galway too. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭megaten

Pay by laser so the banks rip them off instead of them ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

It's not illegal. In fact the shop does not have to legally give you any change at all!

The act of handing over, for example, €50 for a €49.99 game is you offering to pay €50 to buy that game. They give you change out of the goodness of their hearts (or usually because of standard business practices and to prevent outcries like this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm going to bring in 19 pennies. I'll hand them
    In and take a 20c when I buy something, so I'll get my penny. So will the next 19 people.

I'll be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dermo wrote: »
    It's not illegal. In fact the shop does not have to legally give you any change at all!

The act of handing over, for example, €50 for a €49.99 game is you offering to pay €50 to buy that game. They give you change out of the goodness of their hearts (or usually because of standard business practices and to prevent outcries like this)

Got to call bull**** on that. What if you hand over a €20 note to pay for a €3 purchase? You're certainly not offering to pay €20 for a €3 item.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That can't be true. You've agreed on a price of €49.99 by handing them the game with €49.99 on it. They can't just change the price without any agreement. They are legally obliged to give you the money they owe you, or to give you a full refund.

I would assume :pac:

I actually read about it here on boards. Think it was a post by seamus. I'll try look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Got to call bull**** on that. What if you hand over a €20 note to pay for a €3 purchase? You're certainly not offering to pay €20 for a €3 item.

He's right. Shop is not legally obliged to provide change, but obviously if they didn't you'd go elsewhere so it's standard business practise. Its a silly law.

And back on topic, yeah I've noticed this at every Gamestop I've ever bought anything with cash in.

• Advertisement

I'm not a lawyer, but WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago for the first time and I tought nothing of it. That 1 cent coin would normally be left in the bag with the receipt anyway but if their doing it on purpose I'll start using the laser card to be stubborn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

I think in the wording of the law you actually are. However obviously no shop would employ such techniques as to rob consumers of their money, word of mouth would instantly kill their business.

And while I'm on it, people should really do their research before quoteing what is illegal to shops (not directed at you super_furry, just my own experience of working in retail :D). The amount of misinformed people who quote "that's illegal" to a shop assistant or manager when they want a refund or an item that is marked cheaper than it scans for and the shop refuses. Some shops may allow these things but are not obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

last time I was in Gamestop, a mam was buying harry potter for her son but GS were all out. She got them to ring another store and they had it. Manager then says, since you're going to that shop would you drop this package in. You could see she didn't want to but felt obliged to. He just said I'll owe you one. I seriously think he should have at least given a 5 euro voucher as a thank you but thats just me.

Oh, and when I bought LA Noire, they rang me the day before it was released and asked if I would be in to pick it up on the Friday. When I said ya, he goes 'oh, you're one of THOSE people' mmmmmm what! Very condescending.

Oh, and another time in GS a little kid was buying a game with his dad and 2 GS employees said that they highly recommend disk protection 'especially for the xbox games. Kid looked at dad confused and just started nodding his head. So....XBOX games more susceptible to getting scratched than any other?

So my long and boring point is.....They may be making a penny here and there but they seem to be making/saving more from disk protection and free logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The odd time I go into GameStop I usually pay by debit card, so I've not noticed them doing it specifically.

I remember something coming to €18.95 in Xtravision. I'd given the guy €19 (made up of notes, a few euro coins, and some other change - including a few ten cent coins), and he told me "I'll have to owe you 5 cent - I'm all out of fives." "That's fine - I'll take 10 cent instead." ":( Okay"

Also, a few years ago in GAME I was getting something for €29.99 (Burnout Paradise I think), paying with a €20 and a €10. The guy hands me the game and the receipt and I stand there expecting the change to come next. He closes the till and just looks at me for a few seconds: "Oh, you actually want the change?" "Erm, yeah..." - begrudgingly opens the till and gets me the cent. I leave the shop feeling like the scabbyest person in the world.

There's something about interacting with certain games shop employees (I know there's some on here, current and former, that seem sound). They make the experience really ****ty for me. I find it really awkward and annoying to have to be asked a series of questions in order to buy something as simple and uncustomisable as a video game:

"I'd like a new copy of Condemned 2 for the Xbox 360, please." (Someone posted on Boards it was only €12.99)
    "We have that game as second-hand for just €10.99, would you like it second hand?"
    "No, thanks."
    "Are you sure, you could save €2?"
    "No, thanks."
    "OK then. Have you any games with you you'd like to trade in against the price?"
    "No."
    "Would you like the pre-order any games today?"
    "..."

At the end of the day it's so much easier to mash an add to cart button than to play 20 questions with someone following a script.

Ok guys here are 2 previous threads that explain the law better than I can about the retailer not having to give change:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056050563&page=4
    &
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056036617

Thanks to seamus for putting me on the right track for these.

OP, I agree it's a ****ty thing for Gamestop to do but they are well within their rights to do it. The only way to complain is to complain with your feet and buy it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've noticed recently that every gamestop I go into and buy games from, none of them have any 1 cent coins. Everytime I'm told, sorry we've no 1 cent coins. This has happened in Gamestop Santry, Swords, Balbriggan, Blanchardstown Limerick and the various ones around Dublin city centre. I never cause a fuss about it since it's small change but thinking about it Gamestop must be raking in a few million a year doing this. Anyone know if this practice is illegal or can they do this?

I doubt very much that they make millions because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

This penny thing has happened to me down in Cork a few times, but I've thought nothing of it. Most of the staff in my local GS are pricks, I actually heard one of them, I think he's a manager there, saying to someone that he didn't like or play video games. He's a dickhead as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

lol millions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    lol millions

Do you not think Gamestop, who are a major retailer in US lets not forget, does a few 100 million transactions a year? 1c off every one could easly grow to the millons of €/$ if every shop was doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

sheehy83 wrote: »
    last time I was in Gamestop, a mam was buying harry potter for her son but GS were all out. She got them to ring another store and they had it. Manager then says, since you're going to that shop would you drop this package in. You could see she didn't want to but felt obliged to. He just said I'll owe you one. I seriously think he should have at least given a 5 euro voucher as a thank you but thats just me.

Whatever about being tight, it's absolutely stupid work practices. Regardless of what it was, handing it over to some random punter in the hope that it'll be delievered is mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kersmash wrote: »
    This penny thing has happened to me down in Cork a few times, but I've thought nothing of it. Most of the staff in my local GS are pricks, I actually heard one of them, I think he's a manager there, saying to someone that he didn't like or play video games. He's a dickhead as well.

You don't need to like games to work in a games retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

"I'd like a new copy of Condemned 2 for the Xbox 360, please." (Someone posted on Boards it was only €12.99)
    "We have that game as second-hand for just €10.99, would you like it second hand?"
    "No, thanks."
    "Are you sure, you could save €2?"
    "No, thanks."
    "OK then. Have you any games with you you'd like to trade in against the price?"
    "No."
    "Would you like the pre-order any games today?"
    "..."

Don't forget disk insurance. It's really unreal. I lost it at someone before with the pre-owned games thing. When a suggestion turns into them basically challenging you. I said no twice and the third time I just said; sell me the product I asked for, or I'm leaving, I don't want a sticky disk and ketchup on the manuel, thanks.

Another time, after buying a game, the guy tried to tell me about pre-order offers. I just said no thanks while he was in mid sentence. He continued and I reached over the counter to take my bag from his hand and he moved it back.

I f-ing lost it, that day too. Had had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Watch as game is released, do nothing.
    2. 2 months later go to boards.ie/vB.....f=346
    3. Find game from an only retailer for half you would have paid instore
    4. Click like 5 times.
    5. Rejoice when the mailman comes.

No stress, no **** to deal with.

I'm waiting for Game/Gamestop etc to do a HMV and die off. Totally superfluous at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm waiting for Game/Gamestop etc to do a HMV and die off. Totally superfluous at this point.

HMV are my favourite gaming shop at the moment. Great prices on new releases and some great offers on trade-ins. I'll have to start using Gamesnash now that I know they take trade-ins as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Totally agree about waiting a few weeks with new games. Mostly they are way over stocked and end up for silly prices from online sites. I only really use brick and mortar shops for second hand games or the very odd bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

demand a credit note for your 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Not just me then. +1 on the staff trying to push you to get disc protection and get pre-orders. I got the protection when I bought LA Noire because they said it was crashing some PS3s, so I got it to be safe. As if I needed it :rolleyes:

Same worker behind the counter recognised me a few weeks later, buying some CDs. Started talking about LA Noire for a bit before the conversation shifted:

"Have you heard about the new Call of Duty game?"
    "Yeah but I won't be getting it, don't like FPSs"
    "Oh, so you won't be buying Battlefield 3 either?"
    "Nope"
    "How about FIFA?"
    "No but I'll be getting Uncharted 3"
    "Would you like to pre-order it now? It's only €3"

That was a month ago and I haven't been back since. I've used GameStop since they opened, but if they're going to try to push sales on to their customers then I won't be using them much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

"Would you like disc protection?"
    "No thanks, I'm a grown up."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I use Gamestop in Mullingar and used to in Blanchardstown. Never had an issue with my change.

I am surprised that there is nothing under consumer protection laws regarding incorrect change and effective varying product prices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement