Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop scrounging pennies, literally

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No mention of any of this on AIB or BOI's websites, both still saying they issue laser cards. Infact iirc BOI don't do Visa at all. Well aware that online retailers don't accept Laser but in my experience any retail store that takes cards will accept Laser.

Laser is linked to Cirrus and Maestro so its not fair to call it useless.

I clearly indicated or said I was joking in every post (even at the bottom of the one you quoted) but since I have derailed the thread this much i may as well keep going:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aib-to-switch-from-laser-to-visa-debit-cards-513198.html (so won't really fully change over till the end of 2012 for AIB)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1029/1224282233742.html (Bank of Ireland are in the process and new cards will be out by the end of the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CramCycle wrote: »
    I clearly indicated or said I was joking in every post (even at the bottom of the one you quoted) but since I have derailed the thread this much i may as well keep going:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aib-to-switch-from-laser-to-visa-debit-cards-513198.html (so won't really fully change over till the end of 2012 for AIB)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1029/1224282233742.html (Bank of Ireland are in the process and new cards will be out by the end of the year)

Okay, if we g offtopic, then let it go.

The way I see it: it will be same card, just instead of laser it will say visa. I wont even be surprised that you will keep your old pin when it will be changed. It is not destroying the plastic money, but upgrading it so you can use it properly online. So I don't see how can anyone look at this and say that it is some sort of problem. You will use it same way anyway.

As for my post: I love cash. Nothing beats it, but in current age is a rare thing. Money go to bank accounts and I usually cba going to ATM to take cash and use it during the week. I know myself thatof I have cash in pocket, I will spend it very fast on some ****.

Can we close this thread now? As I feel Embarrassed to call my self a gamer, when fellow gamers bitch about 1 cent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know what, it's not about the individual 1c, it's about a company ripping it's entire customer base off. We have seen numerous examples posted here of this company failing to provide change and that adds up to a considerable sum of money. Going back to the example I made earlier, change the number of transactions to 150 a day (which in hindsight does seem more sensible as an average), it's just under €29,000 a year in profit they're making and that's not even factoring in the savings that they're making by not ordering the change at the banks in the first place.

I sincerely hope you never find yourself in the position where you're counting the pennies to make sure you've enough money to buy a loaf of bread... :)

A loaf of bread 150 pennies. I really doubt you have bought 150 games and you were short on 1 penny every single time.

I like my local gamestop. Very friendly, people who work there actuolly gamers too. They will hold a game for me even if I haven't booked it. Will go with all the hassle to look to call in all local gamestops for some speciall request I have. At one stage I was short on a bit lees ten a euro and they just said - it's cool.

Once I came in for a wee chat and was handed 7 quid. I was like wtf? They told that there were a feck up with preorder and that it was not taken off properly from some games ages ago.

So yeah, bitching about 1 penny is sort of... Stupid.

Count your own money before you count someone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Every game I've bought in the last few years has been on steam, but I still think this penny thing is kind of shitty though. I much prefer the Aussie approach: They don't have pennys. So you always round up or down on the change, and while you might sometimes be out a penny, sometimes you gain a penny, so in theory it balances out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Half the posters in this thread better not move to Holland or Australia and possibly other countries that don't use anything smaller than 5 cent.

Getting this bad a response over one cent, imagine losing out on two cent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

My local gamestop are annoying when it comes to pre-order bonuses. They'll not give em' unless u ask for it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Half the posters in this thread better not move to Holland or Australia and possibly other countries that don't use anything smaller than 5 cent.

Getting this bad a response over one cent, imagine losing out on two cent :eek:

That reminds me though, this works both ways - if I have a customer owed 3c change, I'll throw them a 5c rather than fecking around with 1s and 2s that nobody uses, and I know most other I work with do too.

Folks don't tend to notice that though, funny enough. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

sheehy83 wrote: »

Oh, and another time in GS a little kid was buying a game with his dad and 2 GS employees said that they highly recommend disk protection 'especially for the xbox games. Kid looked at dad confused and just started nodding his head. So....XBOX games more susceptible to getting scratched than any other?

As in 360? He might have meant as opposed to PS3 games. BluRays are nigh on indestructible. Well, compared to any other discs. Never seen a scratched or scuffed bluray. I never have any worries buying a second hand PS3 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Xbox disc insurance would be slightly more justified 'cause they're more prone to circular burns if the machine is jogged or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So yeah, bitching about 1 penny is sort of... Stupid.

Count your own money before you count someone else's.

No, it isn't stupid. Lots of people in here seem to be in agreement as it's happened to them and it's not right. Listen, just because you're pally with people in Gamestop, it doesn't make this any less of a problem for the rest of us.

Grayditch wrote: »
    No, it isn't stupid. Lots of people in here seem to be in agreement as it's happened to them and it's not right. Listen, just because you're pally with people in Gamestop, it doesn't make this any less of a problem for the rest of us.

Problem? How much you, personally got short on in 1 cent change and how many years you used gamestop to buy your games?

If you are making a problem on 1 cent, then feck me lads, you are very lucky and stress free people, as ather have way more problems then 1 cent missing when they bought a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Who cares, one cent coins are useless anyway. They should be scrapped, and prices should always end with even numbers. (i.e €19.98 or €20.00).

Honestly what are your 1c coins doing at home? Gathering dust? Sitting in a jar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's not the monetary value, it's the principle. If 1c, 2c or even 5c coins were scrapped and everything was priced .98/.95/.90 you could still end up being be told "Oh, sorry, I'm out of 2c/5c/10c, I'll have to owe you..." if they can't be bothered having enough lowest common coin.

Why price something at .99 and not bother having enough change? Oh right, because "€49.99?! That's only €49! How can I lose?"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,763 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Honestly what are your 1c coins doing at home? Gathering dust? Sitting in a jar?
    "That'll be 29.99"

"Grand here's 20, 5, and 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4......

Problem? How much you, personally got short on in 1 cent change and how many years you used gamestop to buy your games?

-->
    It's not the monetary value, it's the principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Panzerdonny

Well i work in a gamestop and anytime i offer a customer their 1c change one of three things happen. 1. I offer the change and the customer looks at me like i offered them a a nice tall glass of the plague, like they are waaaay to good to accept a cent change. 2. They just drop it on the floor on the way out. 3. "sure throw it in the poor box there son(I'm nearly ****ing thirty!)"

So to sum up, its not a ruse to steal your hard earned cents. Its just 100% of the time nobody wants it in my experience so i personally have just stopped asking. Now to the pub to drink your hard earned cents muahahahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D:).

You should keep offering it anyway.

Well anytime i purchase an item in a shop and my change is one cent i try to politely leave before im offered the cent change so as to not be patrionising when i say i dont want it and i honestly dont. I'm far from rich or even comfortable money wise but they are ****ing pointless coins that should be taken out of circulation, they cost more to produce than they are worth defeating the purpose entirely! Im sorry if you are griping over getting one cent change from either a principle or a monetary standpoint you are really ****ing bored or really ****ing tight........or both. Go do something productive like fashion a dress out of all your acrued cent coins so you can attend the 2011 cry-off. Would you like a McWinge burger with your side order of Cries?:mad:

Gamestop staff.

• Advertisement

Nice Retort.......

Also i can't count the amount of times every day someone ends up short of money by a hell of alot more than one cent and we let them off and often have to balance the till out of our own pocket.........yeah i suppose your right we are money grubbing bastards. Go complain about something worthwile you tits, you make my head hurt with pure stupidity.Ive got a great topic, TREES!!!! Look at them there holding on to their fruits and berries and only sharing some with the rest of us and when they see fit no-less! Sneaky bark covered ****! etc etc etc Have at it lads.....your welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 General Hate Enforcer

So then, where to start....

Without naming names, the amount of complete and utter morons on this thread complaning about Gamestop staff has me at a loss for words. The staff who work in establishments like Gamestop have a job to do, that job involves selling disc insurance, getting customers to pre-book, and getting people to trade-in their games. The guys on this site who find the staff irritating don't need to go into Gamestop because they can just use their mammy's credit card instead & just order it from their favorite website: Iamalonely30somethingyearoldmanwhostillliveswithhisparents.com.
    This is also a plus for the rest of us, as we won't have to bump into you on the street forcing us to walk on the road because of your 25 stone fat ass taking up the footpath... People like you should not be afforded an opinion because you don't matter. You probably haven't worked a day in your life & don't have kids either (Not surprising since you're so repulsive & socially retarded no girl in her right mind would ever go near you) so you can't understand that kids scratch games. Kids crack games. Kids sand the floor with games & their parents then have to fork out money to buy them another copy. Again, parents (and most people living in the real world) have bills to pay & as a result, don't have endless amounts of money to spend on replacing games for little Jimmy. This is where trading in games help save them money, or indeed game protection gets them a free replacement (No strings attached). It's a service, you take it or leave it, and Gamestop is a BUSINESS, it exists solely to make money. Common sense is something that evades most people on this thread, something that mammy's money can never pay for...

Oh, and as for the one cent change, I can give you a bucket load of them, but they'd be no use to you, as you can't pay hookers with them so you'd probably just end up eating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

So then, where to start....

Without naming names, the amount of complete and utter morons on this thread complaning about Gamestop staff has me at a loss for words. The staff who work in establishments like Gamestop have a job to do, that job involves selling disc insurance, getting customers to pre-book, and getting people to trade-in their games. The guys on this site who find the staff irritating don't need to go into Gamestop because they can just use their mammies credit card instead & just order it from their favorite website: Iamalonely30somethingyearoldmanwhostillliveswithhisparents.com.
    This is also a plus for the rest of us, as we won't have to bump into you on the street forcing us to walk on the road because of you're 25 stone fat ass taking up the footpath... People like you should not be afforded an opinion because you don't matter. You probably haven't worked a day in your life & don't have kids either (Not surprising since your so repulsive & socially retarded no girl in her right mind would ever go near you) so you can't understand that kids scratch games. Kids crack games. Kids sand the floor with games & their parents then have to fork out money to buy them another copy. Again, parents (and most people living in the real world) have bills to pay & as a result, don't have endless amounts of money to spend on replacing games for little Jimmy. This is where trading in games help save them money, or indeed game protection gets them a free replacement (No strings attached). It's a service, you take it or leave it, and Gamestop are a BUSINESS, it exists solely to make money. Common sense is something that evades most people on this thread, something that mammies money can never pay for...

Oh, and as for the one cent change, I can give you a bucket load of them, but they'd be no use to you, as you can't pay hookers with them so you'd probably just end up eating them.
    Um, what in the hell does that have anything to do with Gamestop failing to give out 1c coins as change?

Holy **** lol. Havent seen these posts for awile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

This is also a plus for the rest of us, as we won't have to bump into you on the street forcing us to walk on the road because of your 25 stone fat ass taking up the footpath
    Not surprising since you're so repulsive & socially retarded no girl in her right mind would ever go near you)
    Common sense is something that evades most people on this thread, something that mammy's money can never pay for...

*disgruntled parent alert*

yeah you could even call those complaining about staff childish, some of their insults are just silly, unlike yours....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

If the game costs €19.99 buy a €20 gift card, next purchase top up the same card, repeat each time and you get your extra cent every time.

Anyone give any thought to the above statement,not only are you getting your moneys worth but you are also wasting valuable time in first buying the card and then using said card for your purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Also i can't count the amount of times every day someone ends up short of money by a hell of alot more than one cent and we let them off and often have to balance the till out of our own pocket........

Jaysus tis a wonder you make any money at all, the way you're talking it sounds like every second customer walks up to the counter not having the price of the game.

"Please sir, can I have some more?"

Y2Zz1.jpg

Oh Jaysus. I was going to unsubscribe to this thread there after yer man signed up to boards to defend Gamestop in a failed Internet-funny-guy way, but I'm glad I had another glance. I wasn't arguing for the penny for any monitory value, just the principle.

But I take it all back. The other lad, General Hate's absolute meltdown there was worth any extra pennies, I might have paid anyway. Amazing.

• Advertisement

Anyone give any thought to the above statement,not only are you getting your moneys worth but you are also wasting valuable time in first buying the card and then using said card for your purchase.

That's pretty hardcore, there, mate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement