Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen or jack pike ?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to tell a hen pike from a jack other then size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

The hen pike is sexier than the jack!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

jacks are mainly 10lb or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

usually the female would be decent size jacks are usually 10lb or less also some female of smaller size will have some scars on they head from mating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I was hoping there would be another way besides there size.Im trying to keep a record of my catch.

search online, but out of interest, what does it matter to you? obviously you'll see a larger belly on the females near spawning.

• Advertisement

I keep records of everything I catch and look back over them the following year.It would be interesting to see what ratio of hens and jacks im getting from each area.

damagegt wrote: »
    I keep records of everything I catch and look back over them the following year.It would be interesting to see what ratio of hens and jacks im getting from each area.
    thats pretty cool man fair play to you. its a good little quest. if you fished lough derrevara in mullingar you'll find that there is probably a ratio of 15:1 on jacks to hens and the reason i know is ive caught two decent fish there and rake load of jacks i caught two jacks of 4 and 7lb in two casts in same spot and if theres loads of jacks then its sure sign that theres no big hens around because they'd soon be food themselves if hens where around :D

Its a great way to see if there are and similarity in the catch.I record location,time,tides,moon phase and bait used and its a great thing to hand to the young fella when he starts.I'm fishing inchigeelagh in cork at the moment but were planning a few day trips for pike up the country.Would you have any recommendation?

some great lakes in mayo and cavan for piking. buy yourself some os maps. ireland is a very rich country in terms of fishing, but you have to find it.

i never thought of that.i have a rack of those already but there all coastal.

• Advertisement

you could unveil some serious tresures, I have :), nearly all lakes in Ireland have pike in them tbh, and it should be soon obvious if you pull a wobbled deadbait around the margins :)

damagegt wrote: »
    i never thought of that.i have a rack of those already but there all coastal.
    theres a lake up in monaghan called castle lesley its 100 quid for the day and that includes your boat and staying the night in they're accomodations theres a pub there for after fishing. fishing is 8am till 8pm i think. i havint fished it but my friend has and a lad from work has and he says its money well spent theres only pike and some roach in it so the pike eat the roach an big hens control the number of jacks my mate in work showed me a picture of pike he got two weeks ago it was 31lb caught on a smaller 1lb pike only casted it hit the water and he was in if i can upload a pic of it i will im goin in 4 weeks if you would like to join me i have 4hp engine for the boat 30lb pike are caught every week go to google and put in castle lesley have a look and pm me if you want to go man
    dodderangler

theres a lake up in monaghan called castle lesley its 100 quid for the day and that includes your boat and staying the night in they're accomodations theres a pub there for after fishing. fishing is 8am till 8pm i think. i havint fished it but my friend has and a lad from work has and he says its money well spent theres only pike and some roach in it so the pike eat the roach an big hens control the number of jacks my mate in work showed me a picture of pike he got two weeks ago it was 31lb caught on a smaller 1lb pike only casted it hit the water and he was in if i can upload a pic of it i will im goin in 4 weeks if you would like to join me i have 4hp engine for the boat 30lb pike are caught every week go to google and put in castle lesley have a look and pm me if you want to go man
    dodderangler
    I would love to but I couldnt justify spending 150 bucks to fish 1 rod for nine hours.It sounds like just what im after but im up to my nuts in bass at the moment and that's free.Im in the middle of picking up a small boat my self to see if i can get to some on these untouched lakes.thanks for the offer and best of luck.Let me know how you get on and i might join you the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Is there a way to tell a hen pike from a jack other then size?

If you really want to know...;)

5973847302_dd318ab062.jpg

Advertisement