Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing your bike...

• 20-07-2011 5:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Someone is coming to hopefully buy my bike tomorrow, i have to give it a good wash now. A few months ago I washed my bike for the first time in a long long long time, it was filthy with grime - but I got it power washed in place in Tallaght and I was amazed at how good it came out! I had previously thought power washing was bad for the bike but apparently its grand if you are careful.

I want to give it a go myself - there is a good machine down the road from me that takes €1 and €2 coins so it's really cheap. The thing is in the place I got it done in, they had a special liquid that they sprayed on to the bike which dissolved the dirt grease and grime from the underside. Does anyone know what that is? I have some "Much-Off" would that do the job?? At the car wash place there is a setting for Wheel Cleaner, is this the same thing? Is it safe to put on a bike or will it eat the thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its probably traffic film remover. I wouldn't use it on paintwork at all but it should do a good job on any exposed metal surfaces and on the screen if you have one. Check that its being diluted somewhat, its strong stuff.

What I'd usually do is spray it with the power hose (from a safe distance), then just fairy liquid in a bucket of warm water and plenty of elbow grease. Then rinse off again after. I'd generally use a regular hose for the rinsing.

Edit: Just in case theres confusion: both places are more than likely using TFR. The stuff branded as wheel cleaner is likely to be undiluted or poorly diluted at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

wheel cleaner is fairly rough stuff, i wouldn't go near the bike with it. after the power wash you could go it over with this stuff. it leaves a nice finish on paintwork. 1 cap full in a bucket of water and a sponge ;)

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_166461_langId_-1_categoryId_212371

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zascar wrote: »
    Someone is coming to hopefully buy my bike tomorrow, i have to give it a good wash now. A few months ago I washed my bike for the first time in a long long long time, it was filthy with grime - but I got it power washed in place in Tallaght and I was amazed at how good it came out! I had previously thought power washing was bad for the bike but apparently its grand if you are careful.

I want to give it a go myself - there is a good machine down the road from me that takes €1 and €2 coins so it's really cheap. The thing is in the place I got it done in, they had a special liquid that they sprayed on to the bike which dissolved the dirt grease and grime from the underside. Does anyone know what that is? I have some "Much-Off" would that do the job?? At the car wash place there is a setting for Wheel Cleaner, is this the same thing? Is it safe to put on a bike or will it eat the thing?

Power washing bikes is bad for them, you just reduce the damage by being careful. There are loads of exposed bearings on bikes that gets the grease washed out when you power wash. But since you're selling it you won't be worried about long term damage it just needs to look nice for the sale.

I'd use Much off or similar, wheel cleaner will have harsher chemicals in it then bike paint/plastics can't handle
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    Its probably traffic film remover. I wouldn't use it on paintwork at all but it should do a good job on any exposed metal surfaces and on the screen if you have one. Check that its being diluted somewhat, its strong stuff.

What I'd usually do is spray it with the power hose (from a safe distance), then just fairy liquid in a bucket of warm water and plenty of elbow grease. Then rinse off again after. I'd generally use a regular hose for the rinsing.

Edit: Just in case theres confusion: both places are more than likely using TFR. The stuff branded as wheel cleaner is likely to be undiluted or poorly diluted at least.

Never use household detergents for washing vehicles, there's salt in it that'll eat at you paint and plastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Del2005 wrote: »

Never use household detergents for washing vehicles, there's salt in it that'll eat at you paint and plastics.
    Interesting, haven't hear dof that before. Like AgileMyth every few weeks I just give it the old washing up liquid and sponge. Not having a go at you but surely the quantity of salt in the washing up liquid would be tiny and after I give the bike a quick soapy once over, I then empty the bucket and and refill with just water and throw it over the washed areas of the bike.

Now I can understand a one off power wash to get the bike looking good for to sell it, but I once heard that a power wash can be bad for the sensitive eletrics and electronics due to the pressure of the wash it may force water into areas that normally would not allow water in ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

HellsAngel wrote: »

Now I can understand a one off power wash to get the bike looking good for to sell it, but I once heard that a power wash can be bad for the sensitive eletrics and electronics due to the pressure of the wash it may force water into areas that normally would not allow water in ??

it probably has happened people before but unless your blasting water at the dash for 30 seconds it won't do any harm. a quick run to knock off the heavier stuff is all it takes.

• Advertisement

Been working at a car wash for two years, hasn't done any damage yet.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Been working at a car wash for two years, hasn't done any damage yet.

And that's why I never use them.

it probably has happened people before but unless your blasting water at the dash for 30 seconds it won't do any harm. a quick run to knock off the heavier stuff is all it takes.

It's not just the electrics you can damage. You can force dirt into places it shouldn't be and also wash the grease out of bearings. Unless you strip and lube every few weeks power washing isn't good.

Interesting, haven't hear dof that before. Like AgileMyth every few weeks I just give it the old washing up liquid and sponge. Not having a go at you but surely the quantity of salt in the washing up liquid would be tiny and after I give the bike a quick soapy once over, I then empty the bucket and and refill with just water and throw it over the washed areas of the bike.

It eats the wax off and can eventually damage the paint. Any car cleaner is better then househould cleaners.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I used the power wash gently last night with some muc-off and its grand. Better if you can get in and give the pokey bits a scrub but it still did the job fine

Actually a mate told me about an amazing place in Blanchardstown that does steam cleaning for cars (and bikes) he said it was amazing how the steam got off dirt the normal car washes did not. I'd be quite tempted to go get my bike done by him!

And that's why I never use them.
    Car washes? For whats its worth I'd never do another mans bike regardless of what hes offering but I'll leave any car clean and my repeat business tells me that its a good job.

You think a drop of household cleaning liquid in ten litres of water will do damage to paintwork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Zascar wrote: »
    I used the power wash gently last night with some muc-off and its grand. Better if you can get in and give the pokey bits a scrub but it still did the job fine

Actually a mate told me about an amazing place in Blanchardstown that does steam cleaning for cars (and bikes) he said it was amazing how the steam got off dirt the normal car washes did not. I'd be quite tempted to go get my bike done by him!

Any idea of where or the name of this place in Blanch???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well he used to be in the underground carpark in Carrickmines but I believe he has moved to Blanch now. I'll ask my mate who knows and report back. I know he does a mobile service so it might be an idea to get a few bikes together and get a special deal even!

Edit: This is all I can find on the web: http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/eco-stream-129969 - but my mate says they are near Next and Argos.

Anyone know any other places that specifically wash bikes? The only other one I saw was this: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=157777057611523 - but honestly I don't think i'd let them near my bike :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I go out to this one in Newcastle:
    Linky
    Its a power washer, you put in €2 coins depending on how long you want to use it. You wash yourself, but its always really hot water (you can barely hold the lance if you hold the bare metal), has about 6 different setting that are clearly labeled. Really powerful too.

Only fault I have is that big roll of green petrol station paper isn't on the forecourt all the time, so you have to bring a towel.

Advertisement