Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to town (letterkenny)

Options
  • 20-07-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I Just moved to Letterkenny a while ago from Dublin with my girlfriend for college this year.
    From what I have been told by people from other parts of donegal is that areas the town can be a bit dodgey at times, I don't know anyone here or where to go, so I was just wondering what are the decent spots to go out, do stuff etc. around the town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Avoid lower main street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

Buy some local papers to see notices about clubs & groups about town and that sort of stuff, generally they have things about whats happening on the pub scene too so take your pick..as for 'dodgy' areas if you read the papers enough you'll see some trends as to where the dodginess is at its worst..I would name places but I don't want to offend anyone's sense of local pride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jay Walker

Avoid lower main street.

I think you mean to say avoid the lower main street late at night. Anywhere in Letterkenny is safe in the daytime or evening.

OP Letterkenny and Donegal as a whole are very safe. Plenty to do in the area aswell. Enjoy your time there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Jay Walker wrote: »
    I think you mean to say avoid the lower main street late at night. Anywhere in Letterkenny is safe in the daytime or evening.

OP Letterkenny and Donegal as a whole are very safe. Plenty to do in the area aswell. Enjoy your time there! :)

Yeah that's what I meant :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I moved up 6 weeks ago from Meath and really like it here. I'm out and about most weekends and haven't seen any trouble at all, maybe I'm just lucky :)

Loads to do around the town with cinema, shopping, loads of places to
    eat, Arena 7 has pool, amusements, good food and cheap bowling

loads of pubs and clubs, I like Voodoo downstairs, usually good bands on and a club upstairs, which I don't like but not sure why :p the cavern (I think it's called) is pretty good too, great smoking area meaning people aren't running in and out every 5 mins :)

only place I've been told to avoid is long lane, near the hospital but like I said I haven't seen any trouble in the 6 weeks I'm here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Comedian

Moved into Letterkenny just over 6 months ago from Sligo and its been great.
    No trouble, great nights out and decent shops.
    Can't say a bad thing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Letterkenny tends to have a bad name with people from outside of Letterkenny for some reason, but on the whole it is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its no worse for 'trouble' than any other town or city.

Assholes everywhere. I'm sure L'kenny has quite a few, as will other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Pat's Pizza on the square is great. I had a pizza there last Friday and it was well tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Don't know why LK has such a reputation, I lived there for four years, out every weekend, not a minutes bother, my nephew was there a few weeks and got into some...

Lesson? If you're not looking for trouble it's unlikely to find you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Firblog wrote: »
    Don't know why LK has such a reputation, I lived there for four years, out every weekend, not a minutes bother, my nephew was there a few weeks and got into some...

Lesson? If you're not looking for trouble it's unlikely to find you :D

Exactly, hit the nail on the head there.

Letterkenny is a grand town as a whole, same as everywhere areas to avoid but even if you do go to the areas your still unlikely to have any trouble. There lots to do in the town Golf, Go-karting, paintballing, football :P. good selection of resturants, and an even better choice of bars! When the LYIT opens again go to the Student Union they will tell ya everything ya want to know about going out / clubs they have ect....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Coming from Dublin or any big city you will find Letterkenny a quiet town im from Glasgow & that has a bad reputation but as said above about LK you will only find trouble there if your looking for it..as for the "dodgy" area of Long Lane ..well its only dodgy if you consider groups of 9 year olds threatening.. though to be fair i think there has been a few burgularies there lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

IPAM wrote: »
    I moved up 6 weeks ago from Meath and really like it here. I'm out and about most weekends and haven't seen any trouble at all, maybe I'm just lucky :)

Loads to do around the town with cinema, shopping, loads of places to
    eat, Arena 7 has pool, amusements, good food and cheap bowling

loads of pubs and clubs, I like Voodoo downstairs, usually good bands on and a club upstairs, which I don't like but not sure why :p the cavern (I think it's called) is pretty good too, great smoking area meaning people aren't running in and out every 5 mins :)

only place I've been told to avoid is long lane, near the hospital but like I said I haven't seen any trouble in the 6 weeks I'm here :)
    Cheers man, not much of a club person at all myself so i'll check out the cavern. Live right beside it so why not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Voodoo is just up across the road I think and there's a small pub just before it that's usually packed! I'm
    th same, more of a pub than club man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    about LK you will only find trouble there if your looking for it..

Im so ****ed :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MugenSi

Letterkenny is generally a safe town, there are a few areas that wouldn't be so hot late at night but TBH if your not living in those areas then there is very little reason you'd ever be in them late at night so no point in mentioning them. The town is safe as are most of the outlying areas, its just like anywhere else, if your sensible and not out for trouble then no one will bother you.

Advertisement