Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a good lock and helmet :-)

• 20-07-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

hey guys ,

Im wondering can people recommend me a good lock(s) to buy in order to try and keep my bike safe ??

I'm also after a helmet too ,

I am on a budget , been a student and all :-) but I am open to suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Tbh you get what you pay for with cycling gear and safety is a section I defiantly wouldn't risk cheaping out on

But coming back to the question. The high end kryptonite locks are pretty sweet (I have a evolution mini myself)

As for helmets, as far as I know, after around €50 you'd be paying for ventilation and aerodynamics (but I could be wrong)- I have a bell sweep, but haven't had to..test it yet, so can't report on safety but vents are good.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

From what I've read, any helmet that mentions only the (rather weak) EU standard (EN1078) offers about as much protection as any other. Which? magazine found that more expensive helmets didn't meet that standard more convincingly than cheaper ones. That was in 1998, but I doubt much as changed. As said already, the more expensive ones are competing on style, weight and ventilation.

The Kryptonite range of U-locks, especially the ones colour-coded orange and yellow, are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Gonna bump this as I am being nagged until I get a helmet.

I have been thinking about getting something like this (or around that price point[sub €50]). Undecided on the colour - no mention about matching the helmet to the frame or anything in "the rules". Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you like the look of it (I have no style, so I can't help you there), I don't see why not. According to the Q&A section, it meets all the major standards:
    CE, EN1078, SNELL B-90A, B-90C, B95, AS/NZS 2063, C.P.S.C.

The Snell standards are the most stringent, as far as I know.

On the other hand, if you actually object to wearing a helmet, you've a right not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If you like the look of it (I have no style, so I can't help you there), I don't see why not. According to the Q&A section, it meets all the major standards:

The Snell standards are the most stringent, as far as I know.

On the other hand, if you actually object to wearing a helmet, you've a right not to.

Yeah I read up on it and checked the Snell foundation website where this helmet is listed. I know that if a helmet isn't listed then that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't meet the standard - just that it hasn't been tested.
    It's a toss up between black and white i think.
    Cycleways stock the specialized one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement