Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone faulty, Under warranty. What are my rights?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭

I got a HTC Desire HD in January. 12 Month contract with Meteor.

It became faulty, basically the proximity detector stopped working and it seems to be a common fault in them judging my Google and reading other forums.

I brought it into the Meteor store, they agreed it was a fault and was under warranty so it would be free repair. Grand job I said.

2 weeks passed and they rang me to come in and collect the phone.

I went into the shop, started up the phone and the same problem existed. I outlined clearly day 1 what was wrong with the phone, and this was on the docket so I can't see how they wouldn't know what was wrong, and then send it back saying it was working.

The phone is now being sent back AGAIN to the same cowboys, via Meteor. I'm certain I'm going to have the same problem again. Meteor say I'm not entitled to a new phone from them and that it's the manufacturers problem.

I bought the phone as part of a 12 month contract. I'm 6 months into this.

What are my rights here? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I got a HTC Desire HD in January. 12 Month contract with Meteor.

It became faulty, basically the proximity detector stopped working and it seems to be a common fault in them judging my Google and reading other forums.

I brought it into the Meteor store, they agreed it was a fault and was under warranty so it would be free repair. Grand job I said.

2 weeks passed and they rang me to come in and collect the phone.

I went into the shop, started up the phone and the same problem existed. I outlined clearly day 1 what was wrong with the phone, and this was on the docket so I can't see how they wouldn't know what was wrong, and then send it back saying it was working.

The phone is now being sent back AGAIN to the same cowboys, via Meteor. I'm certain I'm going to have the same problem again. Meteor say I'm not entitled to a new phone from them and that it's the manufacturers problem.

I bought the phone as part of a 12 month contract. I'm 6 months into this.

What are my rights here? Any help appreciated.
    If you bought the phone in a shop then they are legally obliged to deal with you. You have the right to a repair or replacement or refund for faulty goods. All repair should be permenant. They have repaired once already and are attempting a second repair and will try to repair and repair until you get fed up and go away.

If they cant repair it just tell them you are not happy with it being sent away again and ask for a replacement or a refund and tell them you do not wish to continue with the contract as you can not get the full value from it given that you are not getting a subsidized handset for your 12 months of custom!

They may well refuse to replace or refund in which case you will have to go through the small claims court which costs €15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Thanks, thought as much but couldn't find it in black and white anywhere online. Have filed a complaint with the NCA alright hopefully they can shed more light on it.

Advertisement