Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

european firearms pass

Options
  • 20-07-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

any 1 have 1 or know where i can download it???

thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

There's been a couple of threads on this topic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71963929
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68625873

It's a topic that pops up every couple of months.

(Note to mods: If it's not already there, maybe the relevant posts on this topic could be posted in the stickies section, so lads'll know where to find the info handy?)

Short answer to the OP: You can't download the EFP, you go to your local GS, bring 2 photos, and any FAC's you want included on the EFP, and get your FO to give you your EFP. No cost. No waiting time. (Although I think it has to be signed by the Super, so probably best make sure that he/she is in and go to the station where the Super's office is).

BTW you are entitled to the EFP if you have a FAC - there's no screening or waiting time. It's one of the very few entitlements you do have.

Hope that helps. dC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbrowning

thanks dc.

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

so when you get the licence and say for example you go on a clay shooting weekend in say Spain, which airline will take your gun? "Ruin"air? Aerlingus? is it basicly excess baggage? and do you have to do anything to the fire arm before its checked in? like trigger lock? and what about ammo? does it have to be stored separately? just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

so when you get the licence and say for example you go on a clay shooting weekend in say Spain, which airline will take your gun? "Ruin"air? Aerlingus? is it basicly excess baggage? and do you have to do anything to the fire arm before its checked in? like trigger lock? and what about ammo? does it have to be stored separately? just curious

You can bring your firearm, you need to give notice to airline of intention to travel.

You need a serious Flight case or Baggage Handlers will make shi* of your rifle. I know a lot of guys who put rubber on the Muzzle crown to protect it from impacts.

Ammo is shipped by some airlines and not others, needs to be shipped separate not in same case.
    I'd always put a trigger lock on as a basic line of security not sure if it is policy. You need all your paperwork in order.

I never did it, but I almost did except the guys I was going to Eastern Europe with bowed out

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

You can bring your firearm, you need to give notice to airline of intention to travel.

You need a serious Flight case or Baggage Handlers will make shi* of your rifle. I know a lot of guys who put rubber on the Muzzle crown to protect it from impacts.

Ammo is shipped by some airlines and not others, needs to be shipped separate not in same case.
    I'd always put a trigger lock on as a basic line of security not sure if it is policy. You need all your paperwork in order.

I never did it, but I almost did except the guys I was going to Eastern Europe with bowed out

+1 for the info, thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FORGET RYANAIR for anything to do with guns..They absolutely,no way,will not,ever carry firearms on their planes.
    Aer Lingus or others are depending on who you speak to,good,bad indifferent to dealing with the flying shooting folk.

You DO NEED a lockable hard case to transport the firearms.Ammo can be transported in CARGO HOLD baggage provided it isnt loose in the luggage[IOW keep it in its original box] and you can only take so much of it.
    Unless you are going big game hunting orto a target match,I'd buy the shotgun shells in the country you are going to,they are usually available in the EU and usually cheaper.

DO have all your documents with you on your person.NOT in the locked luggage with the gun.By that I mean your EU FP,Irish FAC ,if you are transiting thru a 3rd country to your destination ,it is a good plan to have that countries customs clearence of your gun onto the destination country with you.
    I did it last year thru Amsterdam and had no bother.Sparks did it a year before going to a shooting match and had awful bother.:eek: Last thing you need if you have VERY little layover time is explaining to a grumpy customs offical,counter terrorist cop and whatnot,why your gun hasnt got a clearence from the local boys in blue,and your flight is leaving within 20 mins.IOW research all the countries laws about bringing a gun temporarily onto their turf.

Yes,you will get screwed by most airlines on the excess baggage,sports goods charges.Or they will try it anyway.
    It can be done,but it takes abit of preparation beforehand.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement