Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum money

Options
  • 20-07-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi me and a friend are looking to go to oz in nov but how much money do you need to start out with i know they ask for 5,000 aus but how much extra are people taken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Well its the same as any other holiday the more money you bring the more you can do, $5K is a good starting point and should set you up but it will diminish pretty quick if you don't get work within the first couple of months.

Don't believe the people down the pub who will tell you that there are slabs of gold on the pavements just waiting to be picked up.... cos that is not true.

My advice is bring as much as you can plus a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well its the same as any other holiday the more money you bring the more you can do, $5K is a good starting point and should set you up but it will diminish pretty quick if you don't get work within the first couple of months.

Don't believe the people down the pub who will tell you that there are slabs of gold on the pavements just waiting to be picked up.... cos that is not true.

My advice is bring as much as you can plus a bit more.

Agree with Mandrake.
    Whats your plans? Head to city and try find work, backpack about the place for a few week, drinking every night?
    Weigh it up. Average hostel price 25-30 a night. Say, initially, 30-50 a day on food and drink(more if youre on the piss all the time) so 55-75 a day. Not including sight seeing and tours and nik nacs. 2 months at best! Penny pinch a little and it'll last longer.

You might find work quickly which would be great but November it is when OZ starts to ramp up for the summer! Lots of people arrive.
    Save as much as you can. Bring it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Bring as much money as you can. No matter if u bring $5000, $6000 etc and if your not working in the 1st month or 2 it will disappear in no time. They say bring at least $5000 but I'd be bringing a lot more if I were you. Thats coming from personal experience. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

tosh_2006 wrote: »
    hi me and a friend are looking to go to oz in nov but how much money do you need to start out with i know they ask for 5,000 aus but how much extra are people taken

Depends on how soon you can find work! I'm bringing over €7000, which is close to $9k aus. Remember if you plan on renting an apartment they will ask for a security deposit in the form of a 'bond'. This payment can be as much as $2000 so that will take a large chunk out of you cash!

Advertisement