Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hummus recipies

Options
  • 20-07-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I made a nice hummus today and im struggling to not finish it right now so instead im going to write this :)

1 can chickpeas
    Salt
    Pepper
    3 cloves garlic
    Ginger
    Lemon juice 4 tbsp
    Olive oil 1 tbsp
    OPTIONAL: CHILLI AND PAPRIKA

Cook on gentle heat the chickpeas for 5 mins

Drain and add to food processor with everything except oil
    Blend until a coare paste
    While the food processor is still on add a tbsp. of oil
    Let this blend until all paste is incorporated in the oil
    If needed repeat last step until the texture u like is gained.

_________

I only used a small amount of oil because im on a diet and i had gotten the coarse texture i love a hummus to have.

Does anyone have anymore nice hummus recipes or even any nice yogurt dips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShizDink

Yum :) tesco have a basil infused olive oil which is really nice in hummus

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Eddie-B

ShizDink wrote: »
    Yum :) tesco have a basil infused olive oil which is really nice in hummus

oooooooooh with the amount of garlic i eat some basil would be nice with it.
    i happily confess i am addicted to garlic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Recipe sounds yum. Most call for Tzatziki but I don't know what that is or where to get it!
    I must try this one. I love garlic but I love the sundried tomatoe hoummous Dunnes sell, so might whack a few of them in too!

I think you mean tahini which is a seasame paste added to humus! most do use it but ive found i really dont miss it without it! I would love some sun dried tomatoes in it :O that is my next project :) i will get back to you about what is sure to be a new love affair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

If you don't have tahini, you can use peanut butter which is...ok, but definitely not as good.

My friend makes a version with tahini...and a little pinch of horseradish to give it some bite. IT'S DELICIOUS.

Also, if you don't want to keep adding oil, but want a creamier consistency, you can save some of the liquid from the chickpeas and blend it back in.

I like hummus with roasted red peppers - roast them in the oven, skin them, and toss them into the food processor as well. Nom nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tahini is the easiest thing in the world to make, just very lightly toast sesame seeds in a dry pan, then grind them with enough olive oil to make a thick-but-pourable paste, and add a pinch of salt. A ratio of about 5:1 sesame seeds to oil works best. I actually really dislike tahini in my hummus, though.

Eddie-B, I've never come across a hummus recipe that calls for frying the chickpeas first - what do you feel it adds to the recipe? I'm not being snotty, I'm just curious.

Sorry Honey! i literally copy pasted the recipe from my documents so it is written for myself! i would never fry chickpeas its just written like that, i meant cooking them in water at a heat just before simmering. My fault :(

I hate tahini in hummus and i dont really know why because i love tahini!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Tahini is nearly always in hummus. It may be that too much is being used if you can taste it too strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This is one of those 'back of a pack of philli' recipes. But it works quite well. I had to call on it once when the hummus I bought was gone off. People seem to really like it!

1 tin chickpeas (drained)
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 pack low fat cream cheese
    Squeeze lemon juice
    Salt & Pepper.

Whizz. Et Voila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Thanks for the clarification!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tinned chickpeas are cooked anyway, so there's little point in cooking them again. I always add tahini, but only a tbsp or so for 1 can of chickpeas. Apart from olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and maybe a bit of seasoning, that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Inspired by this thread and a recent discovery of hummus, and a can of chickpeas in the press for months, I went out and bought a bag of sesame seeds this evening.

How much sesame seed would I need to make tahini?

How hot should the pan be to roast them before crushing in the mortar and pestle (would the spice grinder attachment on a processor be ok to use instead of the m&p?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Des wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread and a recent discovery of hummus, and a can of chickpeas in the press for months, I went out and bought a bag of sesame seeds this evening.

How much sesame seed would I need to make tahini?

How hot should the pan be to roast them before crushing in the mortar and pestle (would the spice grinder attachment on a processor be ok to use instead of the m&p?)

I'd use about 250g sesame seeds and about 50ml oil, this will give you plenty. Keep it as you would fresh pesto - make sure it's covered with a layer of oil between uses.

I get the pan as hot as possible, but they need only seconds to toast and you need to watch them like a hawk. I've never ground them in a food processor, but if it grinds to a nice, fine mill, then it should be grand. Add the oil by hand, though, as it's very easy to over do it. I like to use maldon salt in this; if you're doing the same, grind it along with the seeds, as it tends to be very coarse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

olaola wrote: »
    This is one of those 'back of a pack of philli' recipes. But it works quite well. I had to call on it once when the hummus I bought was gone off. People seem to really like it!

1 tin chickpeas (drained)
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 pack low fat cream cheese
    Squeeze lemon juice
    Salt & Pepper.

Whizz. Et Voila.

Made this today, thumps up here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Made this today, thumps up here. :)

It's surprisingly nice! And takes all of a minute to make - and it's cheap. Just over a Euro if you buy the ingredients in Lidl/Aldi. I'm sure you could add more bits and pieces to it, like roasted peppers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,495 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tahini is the easiest thing in the world to make, just very lightly toast sesame seeds in a dry pan, then grind them with enough olive oil to make a thick-but-pourable paste, and add a pinch of salt. A ratio of about 5:1 sesame seeds to oil works best.

+1

Keeps in the fridge for a few months too!

The best hummus I ever made was with roast garlic and roast red pepper. Halved the red peppers and oven roasted them for an hour in tin foil in a 200C fan oven covered in tinfoil until they were nearly black

Add some cumin FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

unkel wrote: »
    The best hummus I ever made was with roast garlic and roast red pepper. Halved the red peppers and oven roasted them for an hour in tin foil in a 200C fan oven covered in tinfoil until they were nearly black

Add some cumin FTW :D

You're right up my street there now, for starters roasting FTW in general for everything. Roasted red pepper hummus (with the garlic roasted too when i remember) is one of my favourite foods. I add a bit of cumin and coriander toasted and ground (mostly cumin) then lemon, tahini, pepper, tabasco and of course topped off with smoked paprika.

Some days obviously will just make a simple one but haven't really looked back since making it with roasted red peppers. Saw someone mentioning cream cheese, did it with feta too and it was quite nice.

Oddly have never made the tahini myself and it's not even a case of 'life's too short', must try it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My base recipe:

1 Can of chickpeas, drained
    2 cloves of garlic
    A good drop of olive oil
    a good squeeze of lemon juice
    black pepper (not salt - there's usually already loads in the can of chickpeas)
    Fresh onion - about double the amount of garlic

variations (only choose one!):
    - a small pinch of cumin - this makes a helluva difference
    - balsamic vinegar
    - tabasco sauce

Tip : put the onion through the garlic crusher, let the juices fall into the mixture before you blend it.

Goes surprisingly well with Arabic bread and beer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fairweather

make this all the time - am addicted to it

1 can chickpeas (drained)
    2 tablespoons tahini
    1 clove garlic
    1 roasted pepper
    chilli powder (depends how hot you like it)
    1/2 tsp cumin
    dash lemon juice
    tbls olive oil

put all ingredients in blender and blend for a couple of minutes, i think it tastes better the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

I'm making Broad Bean Hummus at the moment using the large, leftover broad beans from the garden (end of season now)...

Basically peel the beans and simmer for 5 mins.
    Add to blender with a clove of garlic and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and the juice from half a lemon. Blitz and add more oilve oil until the hummus is the consistency you like.

Season to taste!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Eriu79

ElleEm wrote: »
    Recipe sounds yum. Most call for Tzatziki but I don't know what that is or where to get it!
    I must try this one. I love garlic but I love the sundried tomatoe hoummous Dunnes sell, so might whack a few of them in too!

You can get tzatziki in Tesco where they have the hummus but I have to say I bought it once and it is dreadful, bland and boring. If I where you I would just make my own.

1 large pot of greek yogurt
    2 cucumbers - peeled, seeded and diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    3 cloves garlic, peeled

You MUST dry the cucmbers in a tea- towel ( or leave them on some kitchen towel on a plate for a couple hours) and if you choose to add onion you must dry that also.

Usually you would have to strain the yogurt (put it in a double up coffee filter inside a collander for 3-5 hours) but I have found the yogurt in this country to not need it all the time.

you can also chose to use fresh mint instead of the dill if that is too your taste.

I like this with pita chips ( which I have not been able to find here) to make pita chips you use regular pita bread cut down the middle then into 8ths, place them on a cookie tray and brush them with olive oil ( in the olive oil you can have whatever you chose I usually use garlic salt and dried basil) put them in the oven for 7-10 mins @ 180 but make sure to keep an eye on them as they can burn easily.

Advertisement