Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPV?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello lads, I think its time to do this. I was looking at videos on youtube and it looks class. First person view. Where can I get a kit with everything I need. I read only 2.4ghz is legal here. Also what kind of range can I be looking at with it. Would the Radian be too light of an aircraft to have one?
    Can ye give me a link to a nice one on the internet. Not an expensive one though.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Plug wrote: »
    Hello lads, I think its time to do this. I was looking at videos on youtube and it looks class. First person view. Where can I get a kit with everything I need. I read only 2.4ghz is legal here. Also what kind of range can I be looking at with it. Would the Radian be too light of an aircraft to have one?
    Can ye give me a link to a nice one on the internet. Not an expensive one though.
    Cheers.

Plug

First things first, I believe you have a 2.4ghz transmitter, correct? If so you won't be able to operate a 2.4ghx fpv system as well due to interference from the transmitter for your plane. You will have to either get a 5.8ghz system or one of the mhz set ups.

Hobbyking do fpv systems with the "Fat Shark" kit being highly recommended. This comes in 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz.

Then there's this company in the UK that is completely dedicated to the whole first person view area:http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/. They also sell a flight stabilisation module and a "return to base" gadget that is essentially an autopilot that will fly your Radian back to the launch point if you fly out of radio range. Its probably a must have if you're going to go fpv as you might get too enthusastic and fly out of visual range and not be able to fly your plane back if the fpv goggles lose their picture for instance.http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/autopilotsstabilisation-systems/fy21ap-ii-imu-autopilot-osd?zenid=9lboqqdo21bdvuou8sal14rtg4

As for range, well the basic set ups will work out to about 400 metres which isn't far to be honest but a patch antennae will extend your range out past a kilometre for the small ones and multiples of that for larger antennaes. They are also frequency dependent btw.

The Radian has a fairly cramped cockpit if you're going to try and fit all this gizmos in. There are dedicated fpv planes that have large internal areas that can accommodate all this techno wizardry. Again, see Hobbyking for fpv planes.

Its an area I want to get into at some point but I want to do it right. Unfortunately, this means it will be expensive:(. You can get cheap gear but it will be pretty short range and I'd be a bit cautious about flying fpv with glasses that might suddenly lose their picture and when you whip them off to find your plane, you could be disorientated long enough to lose the plane. A spotter would be a good idea in this instance.

BTW, Robbie has a fpv set up. You could ask him for his experiences with his.

Advertisement