Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfire club

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just decided to start this thread:)
    Anybody ever have bad experiences or anything in the hellfire club?
    Is it safe at night?
    I heard devil worshipers do be up there at night?:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

The devil burnt it down when he was caught cheating in a game of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The devil burnt it down when he was caught cheating in a game of cards.

or someone saw his tail under the table or some such. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Those stories are all 100% true and having nothing to do with the vast quantities of opium & alcohol that were consumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Lol anyone fancy a bit of poker hehe?!?

Seriously though, I've been up there so many times (hence my username), and it is a very hard building to go into at night, there is something about it that is very scary at dark, in the day time though, it's not like that at all I find.

I've seen evidence of rituals up in the house over the years, stuff that had been left lying around (candles, images and symbols, etc), since the previous night that I stumbled upon the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

what's that head stone thing on the right of the house has that got to do with a memorial of some sort to someone who was murdered up there? as far as i can remember the date is not that old on it at all

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    or someone saw his tail under the table or some such. . .

It was his hoof actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

spider_pig wrote: »
    what's that head stone thing on the right of the house has that got to do with a memorial of some sort to someone who was murdered up there? as far as i can remember the date is not that old on it at all

the trig point??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Think a bunch of hippies head up there and stay the night every so often. Cool looking building, the roof gives it the creepy look imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

he enjoys a flutter alright

• Advertisement

I can personally vouch for the fact that this really good little piece of local cinematography was shot up in the Hell Fire Club building itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You can see the Devil's hoofprint in one of the fireplaces.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we were there one halloween night

all the ghosties must have been away somewhere else

amazing views of the city

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Fascinating. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not a bad idea about the suggestion for some tea rooms there,it would be a tremendous tourist & local draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen evidence of rituals up in the house over the years, stuff that had been left lying around (candles, images and symbols, etc), since the previous night that I stumbled upon the next morning.
    No to mention mountains of dutch gold cans, used condoms and empty johnny player boxes :D
    realies wrote: »
    Not a bad idea about the suggestion for some tea rooms there,it would be a tremendous tourist & local draw.
    Unfortunately there would be a large number of health & safety issues in relation to running a business out of such a dilapidated building.

There's also zero facilities up there in the way of electricity, sewage or running water, so a simple tea room would actually be quite an enormous undertaking. At the very least, water pipes would need to be laid from Kilakee house and a pump installed to get it up the hillside.

The idea of a little cafe or something up there is great - it draws enough people as-is, but I can't help but feel that the work needed to make it capable of running a coffee and/or gift shop would ruin the building itself. Maybe make a small area beside it with tables would be a good idea, and offer vendors (like mobile coffee shops or cake stalls) licences to park up there at weekends and sells their wares.

seamus wrote: »
    No to mention mountains of dutch gold cans, used condoms and empty johnny player boxes :D

I've seen the lads from Coillte up there in a van loads of times clearing out the shíte and stuff that gathers from the odd party that goes on up there.

I was up there one morning a few years ago, just after the winter solstice and one of the upstairs rooms had been completely lit up with candles the night before (that were still burning the next morning) and there were various bits of occult stuff lying about, including a satanic pentragram carved into the floor using a white chalk like substance and rope, there was also a broken crucifx on the floor and orange twine, (like the kind you'd see used for a clothes line), lying around and with loads of knots tied as if someone or something had been tied up at the scene. There were also pages of what appeared to be a bible lying around the floor and goblets or old steel cups of some kind.
    seamus wrote: »
    Unfortunately there would be a large number of health & safety issues in relation to running a business out of such a dilapidated building.

There's also zero facilities up there in the way of electricity, sewage or running water, so a simple tea room would actually be quite an enormous undertaking. At the very least, water pipes would need to be laid from Kilakee house and a pump installed to get it up the hillside.

The idea of a little cafe or something up there is great - it draws enough people as-is, but I can't help but feel that the work needed to make it capable of running a coffee and/or gift shop would ruin the building itself. Maybe make a small area beside it with tables would be a good idea, and offer vendors (like mobile coffee shops or cake stalls) licences to park up there at weekends and sells their wares.

You can just imagine the kind of PS beaurocracy and roadblocking that you would run into trying to do something imaginative and creative like that in this country.

It would be an excellent place though for an art gallery with a restaurant or coffee shop onsite, or God forbid, a B & B or hostel to open up the Dublin Mountains to folks who wanted to hike onto Glencree and Glendalough.

The problem, like everything else in this country, is that unless it was permamently occupied, it would be vandalised and distroyed by scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭DarrenCroker

Is it true if you say devil 3 times up the chimney the devil appears? I was up there the other day and i seen a syringe or however you spell it and a few burnt out candles and stuff like that

Is it true if you say devil 3 times up the chimney the devil appears? I was up there the other day and i seen a syringe or however you spell it and a few burnt out candles and stuff like that

Another time I was up there and found a dome tent pitched inside one of the upstairs rooms in the morning. The door of the tent was open and inside were two sleeping bags and usual camping-lite stuff, but there were around 20 UNOPENED bottles of Millar inside the tent!

What seemed have happened is that whoever the campers were, they very hastily abandoned the house at some stage the previous night for some reason or another, there was no sign of anyone up there or around the house when I arrived. Then a while later, two young lads came by and didn't want to see the beer going to waste so took it into the forest and started drinking it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

If you're after suing the syringe a lot of things might appear.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

How do you actually get up there? I'm not long living in Dublin but would love to go up for a look.

How do you actually get up there? I'm not long living in Dublin but would love to go up for a look.

Where abouts do you live?

Where abouts do you live?

Ah yesh, that'd help, wouldn't it?! :o

I'm in Templeogue. Thanks!

Is it true if you say devil 3 times up the chimney the devil appears?

Don't do it man seriously , the Devil will drop a petrol bomb down the chimney into your face- hes a fire starter , twisted fire starter.

Ah yesh, that'd help, wouldn't it?! :o

I'm in Templeogue. Thanks!

Do you know where oldcourt garden centre is?

Do you know where oldcourt garden centre is?

Not the foggiest. I moved here from Limerick at the start of the month so I haven't a notion. If you can tell me the road I need to take, nearest village, anything like that to get me in the general direction?

Thanks

Not the foggiest. I moved here from Limerick at the start of the month so I haven't a notion. If you can tell me the road I need to take, nearest village, anything like that to get me in the general direction?

Thanks

Do you know the old mill? Id be able to direct you from there

Thanks

Just take the Firhouse exit off the M50 Southbound and drive up the flyover/bridge at that exit over the M50 and towards Firhouse. It's the second left then I think at a new roundabout and keep going straight through the small roundabouts after you take a left. You'll start heading into the country and up a hill.

Turn left at a junction which says "Orlaith" on the wall across the way from where you are (it's an old school but it's off the road and the name of the building is "Orlaith" and it's on the wall at the entrance gate).

You will be climbing sleeply up the hill for a mile or two, you'll come to a T-junction, take the right and the HFC call park is about 1-2 miles up there on your right, you can't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Thanks

stick your location in here, the "get directions" link ;)

I used to go up there manys a time for parties etc. (we always took our rubbish with us!), the views over the city at night are great. I stayed overnight many times and never got killed by Satan.

Advertisement