Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellfire club

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Used to run up past it as part of a '3 peaks' Sunday mountain run back in the day. Even the building aside, it's a beautiful place. Always a joy (relief) to pass the building after going up the winding trail with dogs chasing you! I must take a trip up there when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus HellFireClub, the building is 1500m from my house (as the crow flies) and your directions even confuse me :D

Maybe you meant to say take a right at Orlaith?

Alaskimo, the quickest route actually depends on what part of Templeogue you're coming from, believe it or not, and whether you'll be driving, bussing, walking or cycling.

Google maps will give you a direct route, but that may not be the best route for the mode of transport you're taking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

spider_pig wrote: »
    what's that head stone thing on the right of the house has that got to do with a memorial of some sort to someone who was murdered up there? as far as i can remember the date is not that old on it at all

Thats not a headstone. Its an orthostat that somebody carved a memorial into.

The building is built from material salvaged from a neolithic passage tomb, the outline you can still see from the roof. It forms a partnership with the cairns on tibradden and two rock.

The rock with the memorial on it could have been an outlying orthostat of the passage tomb as is seen on some of the larger ones like newgrange

Pics here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65588634&postcount=61

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Ah yesh, that'd help, wouldn't it?! :o

I'm in Templeogue. Thanks!

After visiting the Hell Fire, try drop out to Castletown House in Celbridge at some stage. They were owned by the same person (William Connlly) and there's an interesting follow up to the devil story in which he followed William Connolly home to Castletown and dissappeared into one of the fireplaces which cracked and could never be repaired.
    it's been a few years since I did the tour but this bit brought back memories of the Hell Fire Club stories.
    You could drive it at weekends from Templeogue in 30-40 mins. or the 67 bus from Westmoreland St. stops at the gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Sorry my directions are a bit wooly there, I just take the Firhouse exit off the M50, go up over the flyover and take the left at the next set of traffic lights. This brings you onto the road where the little row of shops is in at a car park to your left, (Eurospar, Extravision and Dwans Off License). Then it's straight all the way until you come to the junction at Orlaigh, where you turn left? The only other junction is the T junction onto Mt. Venus Road where you turn right and the HFC car park is a mile up there on your right???

Also, I don't remember that granite monument with the memorial engraved into it, being up there before the date on the stone, (I think it's 2002 or 2005 or 200X), but as a kid being up there in my younger days as a scout and then being up there then in my later teens when I'd have been walking around up there.

I think this granite memorial was placed there as a memorial to the person mentioned on it. Also I've no recollection of ever hearing about anyone murdered or dying up there over the years. I've asked people up there about this monument before and nobody has a clue who the person was, how they died or at what time was the monument placed there?

Can any other folks say for certain whether this stone was always sitting outside the house? Because my recollection is that it wasn't. My only memory of a large stone is the one sticking out of the path through the forest half way up the steep route up the hill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then it's straight all the way until you come to the junction at Orlaigh, where you turn left?
    You're right. I've gone through there hundreds of times and never seen that "Orlagh" sign, only ever see the "Augustinians" sign. Had to check it on Google maps :D

If someone was coming from Templeogue village, it would be quicker to go up through Ballyroan & Stocking Lane, though your directions are simpler.

Have ye found it yet OP?!? Best time for walking up here is the evening as the city lights are coming on...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The same story - re devil appearing whilst card playing - is the exact same for Loftus Hall on the Hook Peninsula in Wexford.

Can any other folks say for certain whether this stone was always sitting outside the house? Because my recollection is that it wasn't. My only memory of a large stone is the one sticking out of the path through the forest half way up the steep route up the hill...

Maybe my recolection is wrong. I thought it was but am having difficulty finding any old photos of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Directions and maps here

I was up there early one random weekday about a week after Halloween one year and found a Scream mask in the grass nearby. I'd say that put the sh1ts up someone!

• Advertisement

Well, any feedback from folks on or off thead who went up for the first time recently?!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Might tip up tomorrow if the weather holds! Will let you know how I get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jaybro

Heard they used to have mad raves there years back, like Spiral Tribe hardtek madness... Should be revived!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Who owns the Hellfire Club now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Have lived in the area all my life and have never been up there, heard loads of stories over the years. Might try to go up today.

deelite wrote: »

Its owned by coilte as far as I know. Hopefully they just leave it alone and dont try and do 'something' with it

As far as I know it's owned by Coillte.

Its owned by coilte as far as I know. Hopefully they just leave it alone and dont try and do 'something' with it

I'd say it's a protected or listed building, it's been there for a very long time and is in very good solid condition so I'd say it is safe enough for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Was lookin for someplace intersting to take the bike to this weekend, now I know where I'll be going !

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Was lookin for someplace intersting to take the bike to this weekend, now I know where I'll be going !

Did ye see the divel?!? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Went up on wednesday evening with my partner, A few people up there, lovely clear skies beautiful view.lovely spot.

Advertisement