Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, the couple i work for have asked me to mind their 3 children all weekend in a few weeks, they are 7, 5 and 2 and it would be from saturday morning untill monday afternoon, I would also be needed to drive the children to a family event about 100 miles away and stay with them at the event before bringing them home. How much would you pay if you were in the parents shoes? When I asked about wages I was told to go ask some friends who are childminders and come back to the parents with a rough price and they would discuss it then
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Is it in the childrens' own home? I would probably pay around the 200 mark for my one child for a weekend (8 month old). Including the fact that there are three of them plus petrol & travel costs I would say 230-260 for the weekend. That is just me though, others may have different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yes its in there own home, have been told 4-500+ petrol by 2 other childminders, guess i'll just have to see what the parents offer and then decide if its worth it
    thanks for your reply

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends, if it was family or good friends then I would do it for free as a favour.
    If it was for work I reckon about 300 mostly due to all the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

300 + petrol cost + any expenses (cost of your food and drink at the event if not provided etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

You'd also need to take into account how much you usually earn. If you're a top price nanny earning a grand a week then obviously it's different to you being a childminder earning €400 per week.
    You could also arrange something like your normal wage for the two days plus petrol and expenses and 2 paid days off in lieu. Might be more managable for them if they can't afford the cost in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Personally I would have said at least €400 which would break down as €300 for the childminding and €100 for petrol and expenses. Our childminder gets €70 p/d for looking after 2 children (2 & 4) between 8am – 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

You should be paid around €9 per hour (or minimum wage at the very least per hour). There are 3 children and 2 overnight stays. I would agree that €500 would be correct PLUS petrol. (i.e. the 2 childminders you asked are correct). I am sure about this because myself, and my friends, have used childminding services for years.

Re a 200 mile roundtrip drive, you should get the full petrol cost for this. I'd also advise that you get the childminding cost and petrol cost in writing, as I have visions of you not getting paid in full after the fact (happens!).

I'm assuming they are going to a wedding. It's a very long way for you to travel, and very few people (childminders) would do it.

Am astonished that the parents asked you to come back to them with a price. They should have told you as they are hiring you!

Re them being unable to pay that amount - that's the cost. It's not €230-€300 for 52-55hrs of childminding for 3 children!

PS Minumum wage is €8.65 per hour. So anyone hiring a childminder is their own home must pay this (plus the usual employer stuff, but we all know about that....... Anyway, not getting into that argument!).

So for example, from 8am - 5pm to hire a childminder in your home would be
    €8.65 x 9 = 77.85, not 65 or 70 or 75......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

You should be paid around €9 per hour (or minimum wage at the very least per hour). There are 3 children and 2 overnight stays. I would agree that €500 would be correct PLUS petrol. (i.e. the 2 childminders you asked are correct). I am sure about this because myself, and my friends, have used childminding services for years.

Re a 200 mile roundtrip drive, you should get the full petrol cost for this. I'd also advise that you get the childminding cost and petrol cost in writing, as I have visions of you not getting paid in full after the fact (happens!).

I'm assuming they are going to a wedding. It's a very long way for you to travel, and very few people (childminders) would do it.

Am astonished that the parents asked you to come back to them with a price. They should have told you as they are hiring you!

Re them being unable to pay that amount - that's the cost. It's not €230-€300 for 52-55hrs of childminding for 3 children!

If that is the cost they may not be able to afford it. And it's up to OP if they would like to negotiate surely? In my job I have the option of getting paid overtime or getting time in lieu. That was all I was suggesting. That they might be able to work something out or co-operate with it. Essentially it's up to OP as to whether she wants to do it and the price she would do it for.
    Personally I'd work a weekend for same pay and 2 extra days off or work 2 extra days for time and a half. If I was to travel, I'd want expenses for petrol.
    It would also depend on the relationship the OP has with her employer. Some are very good and flexible and will pay for days where the minder is sick etc. Others won't. It's quite variable really.
    Also in this instance the OP is minding them in their own home but there is no indication as to whether this is the norm or whether OP would usually mind them in her own home. Also depends on if the OP will incurr child minding costs for doing this.
    There are so many variables it's hard to just give a flat rate.

ash23 wrote: »
    If that is the cost they may not be able to afford it. And it's up to OP if they would like to negotiate surely? In my job I have the option of getting paid overtime or getting time in lieu. That was all I was suggesting. That they might be able to work something out or co-operate with it. Essentially it's up to OP as to whether she wants to do it and the price she would do it for.
    Personally I'd work a weekend for same pay and 2 extra days off or work 2 extra days for time and a half. If I was to travel, I'd want expenses for petrol.
    It would also depend on the relationship the OP has with her employer. Some are very good and flexible and will pay for days where the minder is sick etc. Others won't. It's quite variable really.
    Also in this instance the OP is minding them in their own home but there is no indication as to whether this is the norm or whether OP would usually mind them in her own home. Also depends on if the OP will incurr child minding costs for doing this.
    There are so many variables it's hard to just give a flat rate.

I don't disagree with you, and the days off in lieu are a very good suggestion thou they'll probably end up being given when the parents want them, not the OP - that's my experience from other childminders experiences - and then totally defeats the purpose. If the OP suggests the days off (if the parents cannot pay the cost), the OP should make sure they can take the days when they need, with reasonable notice.

I gave the price for a childminder for the weekend hours given, not the price for a friend or family member, which would be lower. This is the OPs job and for the hours they should be paid minimum wage, OR minimum wage plus the hours in lieu as you suggested.

We were in a very similar position ourselves. Have a family wedding coming up (no children - that's ok), also 100 miles each direction. Family asked if we could stay the night before for a family & relative dinner, and night of wedding. The cost of childminder + hotel (€210 per night) is beyond us, so we are coming home the night of the wedding.

• Advertisement

hey everyone thanks for the replies the parents have decided now its too much to pay me, so they are asking a family friend to mind the children.

hey everyone thanks for the replies the parents have decided now its too much to pay me, so they are asking a family friend to mind the children.

Hi there. I suppose the bottom line is that if you're hired for 50+ hrs, you have to be compensated for 50+ hrs (either fully or partly plus time in lieu). If it was Mon-Fri and you were working 50+ hrs, you'd be compensated fully. No one would work 50+ hrs Mon -Fri and accept payment for 35 hrs. People might read this and think they would, but I've yet to see it happen (nor should it!).

Advertisement