Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing baby home from hospital

Options
  • 20-07-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Was in two minds about whether to post this in the pregnancy forum or here.

Our child is due in about a month, and because we don't drive we're a bit unsure about bringing her home from the hospital. We were going to use my brother's car for the trip back to the house, but it doesn't have a baby seat - would she be carried home in the arms of me / her mother, or do we need to have a car seat installed?

/ i appreciate this may seem like the most minor of issues but we're just trying to get everything ready!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

think they won't let you leave the ward without a carseat! if they know you will be traveling home in a car. most pushchairs now come with a carseat (if you haven't got one already)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You need to have a suitable stage 0 carseat.
    Taxis are exempt from this law so you could get a taxi or ring a child friendly taxi which will have the car seat or borrow a car seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would buy a seat or borrow one if possible. As Moonbeam said above, taxis are exempt from using car seats but personally I couldn't take that risk esp. with a newborn.

We don't have a car but bought a car seat with our travel system for use in grandparents cars/bus journeys/occasional taxi journeys. IMO car safety isn't worth taking a risk over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Really glad i asked this then as was clearly a bit clueless! Thank you for all the replies.

Think we'll go for a car-seat as part of the travel system then.

Hadn't realised there was such a thing as child-friendly taxis that might have a car seat. Can see that being useful if the DART/etc is down and we really need to get somewhere.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Really glad i asked this then as was clearly a bit clueless! Thank you for all the replies.

Think we'll go for a car-seat as part of the travel system then.

Hadn't realised there was such a thing as child-friendly taxis that might have a car seat. Can see that being useful if the DART/etc is down and we really need to get somewhere.

Thanks!

please please get a grade 0 car seat.
    Your little one will be small enough that you dont want to be carrying him/her in a taxi, even though they are exempt.

god forbid somebody even slightly rear ended the taxi or shunted it, your reactions from the impact will force the baby from your arms.

you can pick up a dectn seat on www.adverts.ie even if its just to get you home, then sell it the following week again.

ohh and best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Here is the link to the child friendly taxi -

http://childfriendlytaxi.ie/

Advertisement