Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocks not centered on foundation? Help

Options
  • 20-07-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    Can anyone help me? the person that put my foundations in didn't measure it right so the man doing the blocks had to put the blocks on the edge of the foundation. One of these walls will be taking an rsj which in turn will be taking the weight of the gable of the house. Has anybody any ideas what I should do, i.e. dig it out and pour in more concrete or will I get away with it the way it is.
    I can email photos if anyone can help.
    Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I presume your foundations are strip foundations?

If so, you need to centre the blocks on them, thus reducing the overall size of the house or simply rip out the foundations & start again. There's no two ways about this... you get the foundations & rising walls wrong and you will most definitely have structural damage down the line. That's if the walls even manage to stay up before you put the roof on.

Adding more concrete isn't going to fix the problem at this stage.

You'll also find it extremely difficult to get someone to sign off on the build.

It's a problem that needs to be addressed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Selfbuilderx

Thanks starbelgrade,

Ya its strip foundations, my blocklayer said to take some of the mud out and drill into the side of the foundation to tie in more steel and then pour some more concrete. What do you think.
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Thanks starbelgrade,

Ya its strip foundations, my blocklayer said to take some of the mud out and drill into the side of the foundation to tie in more steel and then pour some more concrete. What do you think.
    Regards

I think it's a terrible idea. The foundations of the building are the most important part of the construction - if you get those wrong, it doesn't matter what you do afterwards.. the problem will still be there. Drilling holes into concrete & trying to tie in steel that is already set in concrete is not even possible.

No disrespect to your blocklayer, but he really doesn't know what he's talking about. The guy who poured the foundations is obviously not much use to you either.

My advice is - and I can't say this strongly enough - is to hire an engineer & get him to oversee the design, setting out & pouring of the new foundations. It will cost you a few extra quid, but believe me - if you get the foundations wrong, it will cost you a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This whole thread is in breach of our forum charter.

Selfbuilderx, get yourself a structural engineer.

Thread locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks starbelgrade,

Regards
    That's the same guy who laid the blocks on the edge of the foundation, so that proves you shouldn't listen to him.

Structural issue. Can't be discussed here. You've been told who to talk to.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement