Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set top box project!

Options
  • 20-07-2011 9:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this is PC and Building and there's a host of other forums I could have potentially put this in. I choose to lump it in here for build purposes and just curiousity at the moment.

The idea: with saorview being brought in soon enough, I had the idea to build at settop box just for the luls. The plan would be to create a small PC like box with TV tuner.

So the box:
    Mini-ATX (AMD) and Suitable Processor
    3gb Ram minimum
    TV Tuner
    Graphics card, something sufficent for tv viewing
    1tb harddrive for recording tv
    external power supply to keep the box small if possible.

So any thoughts and considerations. Has anyone had an idea for a dedicated tv settop box before. Any considerations for doing going with such a project.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Linux isn't very media friendly from my limited use of it? Surely Win 7 would be better?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Windows 7 maybe better but Linux could offer more flexibility in what I may or may not want to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There's a forum for this, try the HTPC forum, You'll get better response, there's even a few threads of micro-ATX and even Mini-ITX self builds if you search
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

Advertisement