Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette Smoke from Next Door

• 20-07-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I live in a 10 yr old semi detached house. Occasionally in the rear upstairs bedroom we get cigarette smoke from next door which appear to come from the floorboards.
    We had a builder in who lifted a section of floorboard and viewed along underneath, nothing appeared to be wrong but they could smell the smoke strong on lifting the board.
    The construction is block on flat on the party wall. The only thing I can think of, is it must be getting around the cavity at the rear of the house and through where the floor joist are located on the rear wall; there has to be a break where the block on flat enters the cavity at 90 degrees to the rear wall, otherwise it will transmit damp across the cavity. Should this area be sealed vertically between the two houses? Has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

Get in touch with your local building control officer. He has the power to get the original builder (if he's still around) to rectify the problem. This is a serious problem and potentially life threatening !!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Thanks, I think the building has gone, I would be happy if I could find a simple fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Get in touch with your local building control officer. He has the power to get the original builder (if he's still around) to rectify the problem. This is a serious problem and potentially life threatening !!

Problem yes, but I think your a bit heavy on the life threatening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

bryaner wrote: »

Probably referring to a fire hazard as there might be a path for fire to travel between buildings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Gulliver wrote: »
    Probably referring to a fire hazard as there might be a path for fire to travel between buildings?

Yes that just might be a problem..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

bryaner wrote: »

Most people that die in fire situations, do not actually die from the fire itself, but from smoke inhalation. Thats why carbon monoxide detectors are so important. Do you remember the case last year where a girl died in a hotel in Kinsale and another was seriously injured? There was no fire there. With carbon monoxide poisoning you don't feel the effects until its too late.

Advertisement