Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can you get caustic stick for dehorning in northern ireland

• 20-07-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

where can you get caustic stick for dehorning in northern ireland, there was a thread on it but nobody answered it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

hopefully nowhere.
    Get yourself a skulling iron and dont be messing with that nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ltec

What do you mean by nonsense, you musnt know how to use it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

ltec wrote: »

Itec, I dont want to seem I'm being a smartarse, but not that long ago you didn't know something as basic as the cattle breed abreviations, so it seems odd that you would know the 'proper' way to dehorn a calf.
    If you did you would buy a proper dehorner. It's easier on man and beast, and with time and experience you will realise it's a good investment.

Do what you like yourself though. That's my tuppence worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Bizzum wrote: »

Itec, I dont want to seem I'm being a smartarse, but not that long ago you didn't know something as basic as the cattle breed abreviations, so it seems odd that you would know the 'proper' way to dehorn a calf.
    If you did you would buy a proper dehorner. It's easier on man and beast, and with time and experience you will realise it's a good investment.

Connacht agri have the right yoke for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

why would you want caustic sticks ? thats all done away with now you have to use a dehoring iron now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ltec

So if you dont know cattle breed abreviations then you cant be a farmer. I dont think many older farmers knows anything about all this shortened phone txt. The calves on our farm has been dehorned with caustic by my father since ever he farmed. I never once seen any problems and i was usually the one holding the calf as he did it. The calves were in no stress and never effected them in any way.

Ive noticed a lot of cattle in the markets now in northern ireland have got horns, i suspect this is due to not being able to get caustic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The calves on our farm has been dehorned with caustic by my father since ever he farmed. I never once seen any problems

I've seen them.
    You plough on though. Don't mind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

So if you dont know cattle breed abreviations then you cant be a farmer. I dont think many older farmers knows anything about all this shortened phone txt. The calves on our farm has been dehorned with caustic by my father since ever he farmed. I never once seen any problems and i was usually the one holding the calf as he did it. The calves were in no stress and never effected them in any way.

Ive noticed a lot of cattle in the markets now in northern ireland have got horns, i suspect this is due to not being able to get caustic.

Barbaric antiquated dangerous practice. Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Wel if ya don't know the abbreviations how in the name a jaysus are you supposed to fill in the forms for registering calves and so what if an older farmer doesn't know text language ?

Advertisement