Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

factory restricted or dealer restricted?

• 20-07-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all..

Just a quick question maybe some one can clarify... ok a factory restricted gsxr600 can be driven on lerner licence.. but what if the restrictor kit was done by a dealer? will insurance companies accept kits put in by dealers etc?

I want to get back into bikes but i dont have full licence yet.. awaiting test, and before i get slated for big bikes on prov i have had a blade, r6, firestorm and 2 r1s back in the day and im well able for them..

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Hi all..

Just a quick question maybe some one can clarify... ok a factory restricted gsxr600 can be driven on lerner licence.. but what if the restrictor kit was done by a dealer? will insurance companies accept kits put in by dealers etc?

I want to get back into bikes but i dont have full licence yet.. awaiting test, and before i get slated for big bikes on prov i have had a blade, r6, firestorm and 2 r1s back in the day and im well able for them..

afaik......yes they do

dealer restricted bikes are acceptable to insurance companies as long as they come with a cert/letter from the dealer stating they have been restricted

some people also send in a dyno print out but I dont think this is necessary

btw...there is no defined form a cert should take....some put it on company letterhead some have a fancy printout etc but it should have the usual details...make, model, year, colour, reg etc and state that the bike has been restricted to the 25kw/33bhp limit

the people that make the kits are fi international (do a web search)and you can search their site to see what bikes they have kits for...dealer will usually order the kit and install it...usually just a couple of washers (to restrict airflow to the engine) or a throttle stop (have heard of these but not sure of the legality given the bikes power output is not actually restricted) in some cases...if its not available some garages will fabricate for lesser produced models + do up a dyno sheet etc

costs around e200 - e300 to have it done...the kits are a fairly ridiculous price for what you get imo

the drawback is you will pay insurance at almost the same rate as if the bike was'nt restricted if an aftermarket restrictor is used....which is **** if your bike really is restricted to the 33bhp/25 kw....worth bearing in mind if you decide to do a little tinkering and remove the restriction then have an accident this will invalidate insurance if the company can prove it.......only sayin cos its something I would have considered doing in the past:D

good point is its easy to return your bike to full power when your two years are up

factory restricted are much harder to return to full power/undo as the ecu is programmed plus engine internals altered as I understand it....their resale value used to be quite good tho (not sure anything has a resale value now) and your premium is much reduced

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mackinfella

amacca wrote: »
    Hi all..

afaik......yes they do

dealer restricted bikes are acceptable to insurance companies as long as they come with a cert/letter from the dealer stating they have been restricted

some people also send in a dyno print out but I dont think this is necessary

btw...there is no defined form a cert should take....some put it on company letterhead some have a fancy printout etc but it should have the usual details...make, model, year, colour, reg etc and state that the bike has been restricted to the 25kw/33bhp limit

the people that make the kits are fi international (do a web search)and you can search their site to see what bikes they have kits for...dealer will usually order the kit and install it...usually just a couple of washers (to restrict airflow to the engine) or a throttle stop (have heard of these but not sure of the legality given the bikes power output is not actually restricted) in some cases...if its not available some garages will fabricate for lesser produced models + do up a dyno sheet etc

costs around e200 - e300 to have it done...the kits are a fairly ridiculous price for what you get imo

the drawback is you will pay insurance at almost the same rate as if the bike was'nt restricted if an aftermarket restrictor is used....which is **** if your bike really is restricted to the 33bhp/25 kw....worth bearing in mind if you decide to do a little tinkering and remove the restriction then have an accident this will invalidate insurance if the company can prove it.......only sayin cos its something I would have considered doing in the past:D

good point is its easy to return your bike to full power when your two years are up

factory restricted are much harder to return to full power/undo as the ecu is programmed plus engine internals altered as I understand it....their resale value used to be quite good tho (not sure anything has a resale value now) and your premium is much reduced

hope this helps

I want the reduced premiums so a factory restricted gsxr600 or 636 etc will be on my list :)
    thanks for advise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

I want the reduced premiums so a factory restricted gsxr600 or 636 etc will be on my list :)
    thanks for advise :)

sounds good.....just remember though...it will in all likelihood be too much of a hassle to return it to full power after the two years which will mean you will probably end up trading or selling it to get a full power one if thats what you want at the end of the two years

(even if the dealer says they can return your factory restricted bike to full power...it will in all likelihood not run as well as a bike that was full power from the word go)

and you may also notice that the factory restricted bikes can be chucky/lumpy at low revs in traffic situations, thats been my experience with two I've rode (er6 and a cb500)
    if you do decide to go the aftermarket route and put up with the insurance.....twins restrict better...more torque at lower rev ranges preserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just to throw in my tuppence- I have a full power gsx1400 that was only recently derestricted. It ran virtually perfectly witht the restriction in for almost three years. Last year, my carb'd Blackbird was restricted and that was fine, too. Your attitude to restrictions and your preference to how you want to choose your bike is the only question. If you want a restricted R1, I'd say go for it. Especially if you're the type tha likes to hold onto your bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you want a restricted R1, I'd say go for it. Especially if you're the type tha likes to hold onto your bikes.
    But as already pointed out insurance for a "restricted" bike may be prohibitively expensive. Considering that you'll be paying for 3 years at that price, and that the demand for factory restricted bikes makes depreciation less, it can make sense to buy and sell.
    It cost me €500 to buy a fr sv650, sell it and buy a sv1000 over the 2 years of the restrictions period. Although insurance is cheaper nowadays (I'm led to believe) might make it a bit cheaper, but I was saving €750 a year on insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Personally, I paid something apporoaching average for insurance for my 3 dealer restricted bikes. It could have been a different story if I was under, maybe 23, say. I am assuming the OP is over that age too, if he's had R1s etc.

The point in my last post is don't let honing in on saving of a few bob on insurance dictate your choice of bike if you can avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

cantdecide wrote: »

The point in my last post is don't let honing in on saving of a few bob on insurance dictate your choice of bike if you can avoid it.
    Indeed, times change and I'm going back 6 years I think for my costing. I'd recommend to cost both options over the full restriction period. That's the only way to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would get a restricted twin until your time is up.
    My housemate has a GSXR 600 restricted and he's paying 3 times the insurance as I am on an SV650s also restricted. My bike is faster than his is because of the torque and low-range power, he has to stay in 2nd gear and wait till the revs build up to get any proper acceleration at all..
    The SV is a pretty good bet as it is restricted via the ECU so there's no washers to take out, no pesky throttle stop and its a 5minute job to swap in a full power ECU. We looked at getting a restricted ECU for my mates gsxr but they were hundreds of pounds, where as the SV ones can be got for €50 on ebay. If you get a factory restricted bike you're looking at a couple of hundred again to get a full power ECU.

Thanks everyone for the replies...

with regard the sv650 the only problem is i dont really like them.. yeah they are a twin and plenty of pull but the only twin id go back to is a firestorm.. fantastic bike and with a good pair of cans it can really shake up the road :)

to be honest im not bothered about the difficulty of de-restricting a big bike.. you dont need a full powered bike to enjoy the pleasures of riding one imo. My only concern was how hard it would be to get insurance on a big bike if it was only a restrictor kit rather than a factory fitted one.

I was 25 when i had the r1s and blade before and i actually was 22 when i bought the R6 brand new back in 2002 and aon had no problem insuring me on an r6.. they didnt even ask about restrictions (prob as that was more a licence requirement) im now 31 and very keen on getting back onto a bike.. sports bike pref as i just love the look of them. Its purely for insurance reasons id be willing to go factory restrict as i heard its very hard to get a decent quote on a big sports bike with out full licence and no claims (mine are well expired)

I heard (no idea if its true tho) that there is a company in belfast like britton insurance in donegal that charge low bike premiums but have like 4k access on their policies.. anyone else hear this? or was i dreaming i heard someone mention this lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's only 4 companies to try so ring them up and find out.
    I assume your NCB has expired?
    At 31 it should be fairly manageably - I'd guess somewhere about €600.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There's only 4 companies to try so ring them up and find out.
    I assume your NCB has expired?
    At 31 it should be fairly manageably - I'd guess somewhere about €600.

yeah my ncb is out about 5 years lol :( going to ring them all tomoro first thing.. they can either say yay or nay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

I read on one of the Forums that there are possible changes to the biking licence restrictions, introducing a new category A2 and offering direct access one a rider is above 24 (or something)..

But there was a point that Restricted bike once the rules are in place can not be derived from bikes over twice the restriction limit.. i.e. if their restriction is for bikes to be 33bhp you cant restrict a 100bhp bike to suit, something about bikes being too heavy for learners...

This might have been a load of bollocks or just people in th RSA trying to look busy but would be worth investigating if your going to spend alot of money on a nice factory restricted bike.. it might not have the resell value you anticiapate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I heard (no idea if its true tho) that there is a company in belfast like britton insurance in donegal that charge low bike premiums but have like 4k access on their policies.. anyone else hear this? or was i dreaming i heard someone mention this lol :)

You heard correctly, it is Adelaide insurance. Fill out the form and they'll call you back.

Advertisement