Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly killed on the Ardkeen Stores Roundabout

• 20-07-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭

I'll try not descend into Rant and Raving, but I'm livid. I was driving home from work at 11:03pm when a car came out from the Uluru and went around the roundabout the wrong way.

A 00 MH reg black saloon with a few old blokes in it.

I barely saw it in time to stop. I looked to the right and went when I saw nothing coming.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A near miss - count your lucky stars .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ouch! If you got that much info then phone the Guards there are not many black 00 cars on Meath plates in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Anyone driving wrong way on a roundabout should get at least two penalty points....if they dont the basic rules of the road theyre a risk to every one.

Solution: cameras at all roundabouts. They have them for speeding. They could easily apply in this scenario and encourage motorists to think about their behaviour i.e indicating,proper lane etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

From ringing the cops before, I couldn't seen them doing much, my word against theirs, plus the fact I only have half the number plate, but I'd put money on the car being parked out side some hotel in the area.

Councils spend far too much time trying to make roundabouts places of scenic beauty. Twud be far better to have resources spent on proper signage etc rather than shrubs and trees growing in the centre of roundabouts ,preventing sufficient viewing of the entire roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I've been physically struck by cars twice on roundabouts around Waterford. Driver on a mobile phone, driver who didn't slow down entering the roundabout. I'm a cyclist.

Roundabouts aren't dangerous in and of themselves, but a lot of drivers don't know how to use them - plus many of the roundabouts in Waterford are badly designed and sign-posted (the one at the end of the Folly is desperate).

I don't really use them when I cycle anymore, but that gets me criticism for cycling on the pavement. Though I prefer that to eventually being killed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Anyone driving wrong way on a roundabout should get at least two penalty points....if they dont the basic rules of the road theyre a risk to every one.

Solution: cameras at all roundabouts. They have them for speeding. They could easily apply in this scenario and encourage motorists to think about their behaviour i.e indicating,proper lane etc.
    Don´t think CCTV cameras are the flavour of the month with Waterford Gardai at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

You should have phoned traffic watch right after the incident. I've done that before and have gotten calls back saying they've caught the guy. It was enough for me that the prick might have got a fright knowing that you can't act the knob with impunity. In your caes, I reckon the lads might have had drink taken and gotten themselves a nice ban if the cops pulled them. And, as you know, they're often around Tesco at that time so there was a chance they could have been caught.

It is amazing what some people do on the roads though. I had a woman start reversing onto a road without any kind of view if said road the other day. I stopped where I would be safe from her waiting for the point where she realised she would have hit my car if I wasn't being observant but it never came. She must just float along in her own little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Roundabouts aren't dangerous in and of themselves, but a lot of drivers don't know how to use them

They should definitely put ads on telly telling people how to use them.

My pet peeve is the Ardkeen Hospital roundabout. Often I cross as a pedestrian, walking towards Ardkeen stores. When I get to the little "island" there are two lanes of traffic pointing towards the hospital. Often there are cars turning right, which stop for me and start impatiently waving at me to cross. The d!ckheads. They are too stupid to realise that if I cross I can get mashed by the cars going left that would have little opportunity to see me.

Some people, when inside their cars think their car is their own little world. They don't realise the car exists in a far larger world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only penalty points?
    Going the wrong way around a roundabout is a pretty awkward thing to do, if you manage to do it in my book your pretty much not capable of driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Cabaal wrote: »
    Only penalty points?
    Going the wrong way around a roundabout is a pretty awkward thing to do, if you manage to do it in my book your pretty much not capable of driving.

It doesn't help when councils/corpos/NRA don't bother to line the road on the roundabouts either, I've had people wander in on top on me as they straight line a two lane roundabout ignorning the fact there was someone beside them.

Best one I've seen in a while, someone going the wrong way round the whole of the roundabout at the M9/Bridge roundabout. What gave them that idea I hadn't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Anyone driving wrong way on a roundabout should get at least two penalty points....

so they have to be caught doing it 6 times in a two year period before they lose their license ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Anyone driving wrong way on a roundabout should get at least two penalty points

They should be banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

funny thing is, my father who had driven for decades all over the world without as much as a tip accidentally allowed his licence to lapse and had to redo the test a few years ago. During the test he came to a roundabout and guess what, for some bizarre reason he drove around it the wrong way. Why? He had no idea, he'd driven hundreds of roundabouts completely safely and then maybe because of the anxiety of it being a driving test he just had a brain melt and went the wrong way. Obviously he instantly failed and had to redo the test which went fine. Sometimes we just make a complete arse of the simplest of things I suppose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

old gregg wrote: »
    Sometimes we just make a complete arse of the simplest of things I suppose.

With respect its up there with driving the wrong way down a motorway, it happens when people are not paying attention to what they are doing.

Both types of driving are extremely dangerous and is inexcusable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'll try not descend into Rant and Raving, but I'm livid. I was driving home from work at 11:03pm when a car came out from the Uluru and went around the roundabout the wrong way.

A 00 MH reg black saloon with a few old blokes in it.

I barely saw it in time to stop. I looked to the right and went when I saw nothing coming.

Missed opportunity there mate - you could have gots $$$$, "lots of american dolla" if you played your cards right. What i would have done there is aimed straight for the bastard and hit into him at a slow speed, then claim neck injury and psych trauma. Even though you aimed for him intentionally, he will be 110% in the wrong as he was going the wrong way. Its not fraud - you are fully entitled to compensation in this case, and a brand new car!!!
    I know the first instinct is to swerve and avoid but it's something i would think about next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

With respect its up there with driving the wrong way down a motorway, it happens when people are not paying attention to what they are doing.

I don't remember ever suggesting that it's safe and excusable but if you needed to get that off your chest then it's ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Missed opportunity there mate - you could have gots $$$$, "lots of american dolla" if you played your cards right. What i would have done there is aimed straight for the bastard and hit into him at a slow speed, then claim neck injury and psych trauma. Even though you aimed for him intentionally, he will be 110% in the wrong as he was going the wrong way. Its not fraud - you are fully entitled to compensation in this case, and a brand new car!!!
    I know the first instinct is to swerve and avoid but it's something i would think about next time.

People like you are exactly why we pay ridiculous money for car insurance.

Oh, and it's never a brand new car. If your car is a write-off, you get the insurance book value of your car, which wouldn't be enough to buy the exact same car (same year) in any dealership.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doubtful. Irish insurance would cover it anyway as its a rented car over here. But besides all the doubtful, what you are suggesting is ridiculous so just stop. I'd like my insurance to go down, not up, thanks.

I mentioned in the new Aldi thread that there would be problems with people looking for the entrance.

So, last week I was driving from the RSC roundabout up toward the Yellow House when I saw a woman reversing out of the Maxol garage, onto the main road. She then drove up the same direction as me, but in the wrong lane. She eventually made it to the correct side of the road, but then stopped so she could turn right onto Ashe Rd, which isn't allowed. Stupid idiot.

Another one yesterday driving home from work and the usual queue of cars waiting to proceed onto the roundabout at the end of The Folly (the slope on the Ursuline side). As anyone knows, this is a single lane entry, yet some smart arse comes up quite quickly, passes all the cars and out onto the roundabout without little hesitation before turning into Johns Park.

Some people just don't have a clue...or don't care.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Doubtful. Irish insurance would cover it anyway as its a rented car over here. But besides all the doubtful, what you are suggesting is ridiculous so just stop. I'd like my insurance to go down, not up, thanks.

You insurance will not go up because you were right and he was wrong a hell. you will be claiming from his insurance, not yours, so yours wont go up at all but he will lose his no claims.

I had the same concern a few month back when a guy rear ended me. Not much damage but i was slow to claim for fear of my ins going up next time. We settled amongst ourselves - €850.
    I then got advise from a solicitor who told me he was wrong so my ins would not be affected.
    In fact he told me, within 3 years, i could claim personal injury from him and because he didn't tell his insurance about the accident at the time they would not cover him so he would have to pay it out of his own pocket:) - I could f*cking clean the bastard out if i wanted!!!!

You must remember in your case that this is not a scam, he was in the wrong so you are entitled to claim.

Yes we do pay high insurance, so thats why people tend to cliam so they can get somthing back off the companies, but it becomes a vicious cirlce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Speaking of roundabouts can someone clarify if you are coming from Newrath and want to go over the bridge what lane you should be in. To my mind you are taking the third exit and should be in the inside lane but have lost count of the amount of times someone in the outside lane from Newrath turns in front of me on the roundabout if I'm heading over the bridge in the Ferrybank direction from town.

If you are on the outside lane from Newrath your only destination should be the train station or Ferrybank surely. It happens so often now I'm wondering am I wrong

thomasm wrote: »
    Speaking of roundabouts can someone clarify if you are coming from Newrath and want to go over the bridge what lane you should be in. To my mind you are taking the third exit and should be in the inside lane but have lost count of the amount of times someone in the outside lane from Newrath turns in front of me on the roundabout if I'm heading over the bridge in the Ferrybank direction from town.

If you are on the outside lane from Newrath your only destination should be the train station or Ferrybank surely. It happens so often now I'm wondering am I wrong

I think if you are going to trainstation, ferrybank or over the brige and along the quay you stay in the left lane. If you are going over the bridge an onto bridge street you stay in the right lane. Look at the signs before the r'about, the correct lanes are indicated on it.

Only penalty points?

Two points for a start.....they should not go unpunished.....ban them for six months if they do it again

You must remember in your case that this is not a scam, he was in the wrong so you are entitled to claim.

Yes we do pay high insurance, so thats why people tend to cliam so they can get somthing back off the companies, but it becomes a vicious cirlce

Intentionally doing something like this
    What i would have done there is aimed straight for the bastard and hit into him at a slow speed,

Is insurance fraud,

If you don't believe it is then I would suggest then you do it and then stated exactly what you have just stated to the insurance company and see exactly how both the insurance company and the Gardai then deal with you.

You insurance will not go up because you were right and he was wrong a hell. you will be claiming from his insurance, not yours, so yours wont go up at all but he will lose his no claims.

I had the same concern a few month back when a guy rear ended me. Not much damage but i was slow to claim for fear of my ins going up next time. We settled amongst ourselves - €850.
    I then got advise from a solicitor who told me he was wrong so my ins would not be affected.
    In fact he told me, within 3 years, i could claim personal injury from him and because he didn't tell his insurance about the accident at the time they would not cover him so he would have to pay it out of his own pocket:) - I could f*cking clean the bastard out if i wanted!!!!

Insurance is high because of fraudulent claims. You are advising that he makes a bad situation worse by contributing to the 'accident' for personal gain. If he doesn't do what he can to avoid an accident, then he is partly to blame. The Gardai can assess the accident and the positioning of the cars. If you can avoid a collision, you make life easier for yourself in the long run.

Have a word with yourself.

Wrong way down a motorway is far more serious.....higher speeds etc.
    Roundabouts would be at a slower speed...

thomasm wrote: »

from experience 99.9% of people coming from that direction will take the left lane if they are going straight to ferrybank or intend on taking the left lane on the bridge (to bring them down the quays)

People that take the right lane only seem to intent on going up bridge street etc so the take the right lane on the bridge also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Do you trip over in supermarkets too? Easy money to be made there for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

dayshah wrote: »
    They should definitely put ads on telly telling people how to use them.
    they do, i've seen the ad on tv loads of times. Just some people will never understand until they are in an accident themselves.

Long 70sec version

and

Short 30sec version

Advertisement