Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly killed on the Ardkeen Stores Roundabout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

well the way i, and lots of others see it, is if you are injured through someone elses fault you are entitled to be compensated for you damages. In a court i cannot see a fella going the wrong way around having a leg to stand on.
    This counterculture of getting up and dusting themselves off after an incident caused by someone elses neglect is silly. They are just selling themselves short and allowing a dangerous situation to continue and possibly cause another accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

well the way i, and lots of others see it, is if you are injured through someone elses fault you are entitled to be compensated for you damages. In a court i cannot see a fella going the wrong way around having a leg to stand on.
    This counterculture of getting up and dusting themselves off after an incident caused by someone elses neglect is silly. They are just selling themselves short and allowing a dangerous situation to continue and possibly cause another accident.

Fair enough, if your are injured through someone else's fault, but intentionally driving into someone when you've seen the danger in advance makes it nearly as much your fault as theirs!

You know you can always just REPORT the incident!? Intentionally crashing into a car full of elderly men is not the only way to teach them a lesson...

rayc wrote: »
    Fair enough, if your are injured through someone else's fault, but intentionally driving into someone when you've seen the danger in advance makes it nearly as much your fault as theirs!

You know you can always just REPORT the incident!? Intentionally crashing into a car full of elderly men is not the only way to teach them a lesson...

yes i get your point, but what i'm saying is that you are still almost certain to win the case anyway, as the guy going the wrong way was totally flouting the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

thomasm wrote: »
    Speaking of roundabouts can someone clarify if you are coming from Newrath and want to go over the bridge what lane you should be in. To my mind you are taking the third exit and should be in the inside lane but have lost count of the amount of times someone in the outside lane from Newrath turns in front of me on the roundabout if I'm heading over the bridge in the Ferrybank direction from town.

If you are on the outside lane from Newrath your only destination should be the train station or Ferrybank surely. It happens so often now I'm wondering am I wrong

When coming from Newrath towards the roundabout outside the trainstation, if you want to go over the bridge you can use either lane. Right lane is for people going staight up bridge st or turning right down towards Bilberry. Left lane can be used for people going over the bridge who are turning left to go down the quay and also for those heading towards Ferrybank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Missed opportunity there mate - you could have gots $$$$, "lots of american dolla" if you played your cards right. What i would have done there is aimed straight for the bastard and hit into him at a slow speed, then claim neck injury and psych trauma. Even though you aimed for him intentionally, he will be 110% in the wrong as he was going the wrong way. Its not fraud - you are fully entitled to compensation in this case, and a brand new car!!!
    I know the first instinct is to swerve and avoid but it's something i would think about next time.

I'll be perfectly honest, I was doing 35km/h entering the roundabout. I went from that to 0 in less than 3 seconds. (If that is possible) I thought I did hit the tail end of his car. My eyes were glued open and I leaned back in the seat. I didn't have time to think about trying to hit him to 'teach him and his car full of people a lesson'.

Also, Its Karma man, save the option to sue for when you really need it.

I used to drive to Kilkenny everyday a few years ago and I met a blue saloon on the wrong side of the road that drove me into the ditch. I pulled in immediately and called the cops, Al I had was the year and the county. They said they'd try have a look out for him but they didn't hold out much hope. Just never bothered after that.

Speaking of roundabouts can someone clarify if you are coming from Newrath and want to go over the bridge what lane you should be in. To my mind you are taking the third exit and should be in the inside lane but have lost count of the amount of times someone in the outside lane from Newrath turns in front of me on the roundabout if I'm heading over the bridge in the Ferrybank direction from town.

If you are on the outside lane from Newrath your only destination should be the train station or Ferrybank surely. It happens so often now I'm wondering am I wrong

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=newrath,+waterford&hl=en&ll=52.26779,-7.122746&spn=0,0.077162&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=42.089199,79.013672&radius=15000&z=14&layer=c&cbll=52.267677,-7.122379&panoid=yVq6i17GR7UTTEFru1pojQ&cbp=12,135,,0,0

I always take the left lane when going down the quay and the right when going up bridge st. The sign says you're right, the lane markings say I'm right. But as Ferrybank is now the R711, that sign may be gone or changed. I'll check tomorrow, when I pass there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

Master and commander what you are suggesting is just sneaky and wrong and is nearly worse than driving the wrong way on a roundabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

yes i get your point, but what i'm saying is that you are still almost certain to win the case anyway, as the guy going the wrong way was totally flouting the rules of the road.

No way of proving it...even a small collision could turn both cars around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Missed opportunity there mate - you could have gots $$$$, "lots of american dolla" if you played your cards right. What i would have done there is aimed straight for the bastard and hit into him at a slow speed, then claim neck injury and psych trauma. Even though you aimed for him intentionally, he will be 110% in the wrong as he was going the wrong way. Its not fraud - you are fully entitled to compensation in this case, and a brand new car!!!
    I know the first instinct is to swerve and avoid but it's something i would think about next time.
    Compo culture=higher insurance premium´s for everybody.
    Nice one:mad:

Compo culture=higher insurance premium´s for everybody.
    Nice one:mad:

Insurance should not be used as a way of making money...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Olliecat

The new bridge roundabout is like Russian Roulette - people approach it in the wrong lane and then just move across lanes with no indication, hate using it - people just don't read the road signs - also people coming down from Kilkenny seem to think they have the right to pull onto the roundabout whether you are already on it or not - sorry rant over

• Advertisement

Sarsfield road roundabout........cars in right lane from tunnel direction cross into middle lane before wilton exit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

problally some Fn's thinking they were at home & fulla bottles............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'll try not descend into Rant and Raving, but I'm livid. I was driving home from work at 11:03pm when a car came out from the Uluru and went around the roundabout the wrong way.

A 00 MH reg black saloon with a few old blokes in it.

I barely saw it in time to stop. I looked to the right and went when I saw nothing coming.

Either the driver was drunk and had pints in the uluru or else he was foreign and was used to drving on the wrong side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

On a similar note I encountered a guy driving on the wrong side of the road in Johnstown this afternoon. He sorta pulled out as if overtaking but there was nothing there. Got a bit nervous as he got closer and closer before swerving back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Is it just me or do people not hold their lane in roundabouts anymore? Say for example I'm taking the 3rd exit (i.e. inside lane) and someone else is taking the 2nd exit (i.e. second lane) and they drift in on top of you. In the last 3 days (just going too and from work) it has happened me twice. To top it off I was in the overtaking lane on the outer ring road and some fool started changing to my lane while I was overtaking her. All things considered the outer ring road must be one of the safest roads in the country and if it wasn't for me being extremely paranoid about these people coming in on top of me then I'd have crashed at least twice in the last week, one of which would have been fairly high speed for a crash (55-60).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

suggesting that someone be put off the road for this is ridiculous

it could easily happen to a person who is nervous or flustered

particularly in an area that they dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

jive wrote: »
    Is it just me or do people not hold their lane in roundabouts anymore? Say for example I'm taking the 3rd exit (i.e. inside lane) and someone else is taking the 2nd exit (i.e. second lane) and they drift in on top of you. In the last 3 days (just going too and from work) it has happened me twice. To top it off I was in the overtaking lane on the outer ring road and some fool started changing to my lane while I was overtaking her. All things considered the outer ring road must be one of the safest roads in the country and if it wasn't for me being extremely paranoid about these people coming in on top of me then I'd have crashed at least twice in the last week, one of which would have been fairly high speed for a crash (55-60).

There are many things about drivers that 'drive' (sorry!) me nuts but my top one has to be roundabouts. The vast majority of Irish people have absolutely no concept whatsoever of how to use them, scarily so. The amount of times I've nearly been pushed off the road is ridiculous, and don't get me started on indicating on roundabouts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jive wrote: »
    Is it just me or do people not hold their lane in roundabouts anymore? Say for example I'm taking the 3rd exit (i.e. inside lane) and someone else is taking the 2nd exit (i.e. second lane) and they drift in on top of you. In the last 3 days (just going too and from work) it has happened me twice.

Absolutely agree with you on people not holding their lanes. I find the Cork Road roundabout at PC World the worst for it. People seem to think they can just drive in a straight line to head up towards Ashe Road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

The worst roundabout in the town has to be the end of the Folly. Always find if I'm turning right onto balltruckle cars in the left lane are always trying to cut into the right lane.

I'm surprised there's not been more accidents there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Kxiii wrote: »
    The worst roundabout in the town has to be the end of the Folly. Always find if I'm turning right onto balltruckle cars in the left lane are always trying to cut into the right lane.

I'm surprised there's not been more accidents there.

Yeah at least they've lined it out now so that should help the more absent-minded drivers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I was driving home from work at 11:03pm when a car came out from the Uluru and went around the roundabout the wrong way.
    A 00 MH reg black saloon with a few old blokes in it.

I barely saw it in time to stop. I looked to the right and went when I saw nothing coming.

If a car came out of the Uluru and goes wrong way around a roundabout , it only suggests one opinion for me .

Possiby a case of drinking and driving , and this has not been mentioned on this thread until now .

I know its hypothetical , but the driver may have been drinking in the Uluru and was heading for a parking spot outside the take-away ( is it Supermacs )

suggesting that someone be put off the road for this is ridiculous

it could easily happen to a person who is nervous or flustered

particularly in an area that they dont know

should recognise what a roundabout is though....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Was REALLY hoping I wouldn't have to post as moderator here.

Can we NOT post anything about how to claim, even bending the rules or anything we all believe is within reason to do. Causing an accident on purpose which you could avoid -- from that point onwards is where we stop, thanks. You can point them to a solicitor or insurance advisor who is qualified if you like, but lets not start dishing out advise here. At all.

Anything else suggesting the like will sadly result in a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I happened to be speaking to a garda yesterday, who confirmed that there probably wasn't much they could do if I rang them. If there was some free in the area, they may have had a look around. It must have been the only night or the year that there were no cops at Tesco Ardkeen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It must have been the only night or the year that there were no cops at Tesco Ardkeen!

probably sold out of doughnuts :D

were a load of posts just removed from this thread, the ones about the transport co and all that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

were a load of posts just removed from this thread, the ones about the transport co and all that?

Nothing removed from what I can see anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I don't really use them when I cycle anymore, but that gets me criticism for cycling on the pavement. Though I prefer that to eventually being killed :rolleyes:

But you might knock down a pedestrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

One of the worst in my opinion is the roundabout at the entrance to Ursuline Court. People approaching from direction of the Folly seem oblivious to the fact that it is a roundabout. The number of times I've been coming from Superquinn direction and entering the estate and had near misses with other cars or even had cars beeping and screaming at me for the audacity to try to leave the roundabout when they want to keep going :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

You're right messynessie. I've seen people just drive straight over it, not keeping to their lane and seldom do they indicate. It's pure arrogance.

Advertisement