Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norman Invasion in Cahir this weekend 23/24 July

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Just to let anyone know, there's a Norman Invasion festival for the Saturday and Sunday the 23rd and the 24th July in the Inch field behind the Castle. A flyer came through the post today, but I can't find it for exact details. This is from their site http://cahir2011.com/NormanInvasion.html

There will be a Norman Invasion in July with Knights on Heavy Horse jousting, fighting hand to hand, the full spectacular for Two shows a day. Historical educational tours, Falconry, Archery, Music and mirth will give a sense of stepping back in time to when Men were men and Women were glad to be Ladies.

The Old world village feeling will begin as you enter the Castle Car park to the country fair. With Live stock sales and market stales. The merriment and make merry will continue after the Castle field events finishes for the day with ya old bar extensions and a bit of craic for all. Sunday sees the battle resume followed by a closing banquet on Barrack Street, with the pig on a spit and a pint in your hand.

There’ll be a song in your heart and a tear in either eye going home from the Fort of the Fishes JULY 23rd and 24th. For at the Norman Festival in Cahir they do Battle all day and Party all Night.

So if you're looking for something different over the weekend, this might be of interest to you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sounds good to me. Going to head in soon with the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

passed it on the way to the Golf Course. Nice atmosphere around the town today :) Good crowd too.

This was brilliant. I took lots of photos.

DSCF4273.jpg

DSCF4274.jpg

DSCF4277.jpg

DSCF4279.jpg

DSCF4280.jpg

DSCF4294.jpg

DSCF4298.jpg

DSCF4305.jpg

DSCF4314.jpg

You'd struggle to get a more appropriate location than the Inch Field at Cahir Castle. It looked really authentic.

It's on again tomorrow. There are two shows: one at 14:30 and another at 18:00. People under 16 could enter for free. Adults were €5, which I paid, but I don't think it was mandatory.

Well worth it for the spectacle and novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Nice photos Tremelo. Wasn't able to make it today myself, but will be there tomorrow. If the weather holds up, as I think it's supposed to, it'll make all the difference.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great photos! It looks like Boards.ie meets Age of Empires II! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

First class great fun great crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Well done to all who organised the event in cahir. A good day out for all!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Does this happen every year? I remember going to the same thing at the castle around 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ponster wrote: »
    Does this happen every year? I remember going to the same thing at the castle around 1988.

hasn't been anything like it in at least the last 5 years anyway. Should be done more often :)

callaway92 wrote: »
    hasn't been anything like it in at least the last 5 years anyway. Should be done more often :)

Definitely. And banquets, too. To a large extent Cahir Castle is wasted in my opinion. They could do a LOT more with it if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Tremelo wrote: »
    Definitely. And banquets, too. To a large extent Cahir Castle is wasted in my opinion. They could do a LOT more with it if they wanted to.

Unfortunately, most of what they want to do, they can't because the OPW "owns" it, and also insurance is a major factor when organizing anything with inside the castle walls. While it looks like it makes sense to do more with the castle, red tape is in the way, as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paj_Lee

Hi folks, very late coming in on this here, I was one of the reenactors who took part in this, and infact one of the commanders of the group (Bran Dubh), so really glad to here people enjoyed it.

From what we know, it unfortunately wont be on again this year, due to funding, but hey, you never know, so keep yer eyes open for us!

If by any hance anyone else has photos of the combat? (not the jousting, that was nothing to do with us), or if anyone happens to have photos of a tall guy in a red surcoat with a big white cross on it? (thats me by the way!) Would love to see anything anyone has, as we dont often get to see things from the public point of view!

Advertisement