Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wipe a computer(format)

Options
  • 21-07-2011 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi

can anyone tell me how to format a computer properly wipe it clean back to its original settings??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Reinstall Windows.

When you're computer's booting up, hit a certain key (if it doesn't tell you, odds are it's Delete) to get into your BIOS.
    Select your DVD drive as your first boot device.
    Insert your Windows DVD into your drive.
    Follow the steps.
    (When you get to the screen showing your hard drive, delete the existing partition and create a new one)

This will wipe all of your data, and restore the computer how it was when you got it. After that's done, you might have to reinstall drivers for a few bits and pieces such as your graphics card. You get these drivers from the manufacturer's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Healy Boy

i dont have a dvd for the windows its actully my gf pc i just taught if i go into the local internal harddrive right click and click format what would that do??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

It won't allow you to format the drive windows is installed on. Maybe you could borrow/download the disk. Did she get a restore disk with the PC, sometimes they are actually just the windows CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

B0X wrote: »
    It won't allow you to format the drive windows is installed on. Maybe you could borrow/download the disk. Did she get a restore disk with the PC, sometimes they are actually just the windows CD.
    Download a copy of Windows and then "burn" it onto a USB stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Just to make it clear, you can LEGALLY download an ISO if you have a valid Windows Key. You can then use the Windows 7 USB tool (google it) to make a bootable USB stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Healy Boy wrote: »
    i dont have a dvd for the windows its actully my gf pc i just taught if i go into the local internal harddrive right click and click format what would that do??

Does the PC have a hidden restore partition on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Leman wrote: »
    Just to make it clear, you can LEGALLY download an ISO if you have a valid Windows Key. You can then use the Windows 7 USB tool (google it) to make a bootable USB stick.
    What he said. Sometimes finding a decent place to download it from is tricky though - if you haven't downloaded a copy before or if you're not a member of msdn or something like that. I would suggest not downloading via torrent unless you know what either of the terms "md5sum" or "sha1" mean ;)

Edit: I'm working in Glasnevin today if you're nearby. I will put a copy on a USB for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just download a free format program like Boot and Nuke which wipes the hard disk completely

http://www.dban.org/

Advertisement