Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 Military helmet

• 21-07-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hello all, first time poster on this forum. I'm just wondering if any of you out there, would know where I could get information regarding these helmets. I've looked on t'internet and there's plenty about them there, but what I need is someone that I can bring it to, to get some expert opinion on the helmet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

pARTner81 wrote: »
    Hello all, first time poster on this forum. I'm just wondering if any of you out there, would know where I could get information regarding these helmets. I've looked on t'internet and there's plenty about them there, but what I need is someone that I can bring it to, to get some expert opinion on the helmet.

Thanks.

Hiya pARTner81, welcome to the forum. :)

There is a specific Militaria section here. Its just WW2 discussion and arguements over this end (mostly arguements:D).
    Boardsie Arnhem44 in militaria is an avid collector and will give you good advice about the helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

marcsignal wrote: »
    Hiya pARTner81, welcome to the forum. :)

There is a specific Militaria section here. Its just WW2 discussion and arguements over this end (mostly arguements:D).
    Boardsie Arnhem44 in militaria is an avid collector and will give you good advice about the helmet.

Great, thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Hi, this is an excellent website with a forum specifically related to the M1:

http://warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1-steel-helmet-forum/

I own a couple of M1s too and if you have a question maybe I can help? I can't claim to be an expert but have a good knowledge of the types and variations. If you post a picture or PM me one. I can have a look.

xflyer wrote: »
    Hi, this is an excellent website with a forum specifically related to the M1:

http://warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1-steel-helmet-forum/

I own a couple of M1s too and if you have a question maybe I can help? I can't claim to be an expert but have a good knowledge of the types and variations. If you post a picture or PM me one. I can have a look.

Yeah sure, Ill do just that. I'll try get some pics sent to you tomorrow.

Ok so I've been having trouble getting photos onto my posts. So here goes one more time...

DSCF0775.jpg

DSCF0776.jpg

DSCF0777.jpg

DSCF0778.jpg

• Advertisement

...and some more...
    DSCF0779.jpg

DSCF0780.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0782.jpg

DSCF0781.jpg

So if anyone can give me some info as to the details of this shell of an M1 helmet I would really appreciate it, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well is seems to be late WW2 manufactured rear seam, swivel bail M1 helmet shell with a stainless steel rim. Probably made by the McCord corporation who made most M1 helmets. The stainless steel rim is the best indication on this helmet that it's WW2 made. But it would be very late war, November 1944 onwards. The stainless stell rim tended to lose paint easily and provided an opportunity for glint, not a good thing on a battlefield. So it was replaced with a non reflective rim on later helmets but they used up available stocks.

Earlier helmets had a front seam on the stainless steel rim and bails to which the straps were attached were fixed. They are considered more desirable by collectors because it's more likely they actually saw service in WW2.

It looks to have been repainted quite a bit. The bottle green isn't military. But the lighter Olive Drab overpaint seems to indicate it remained in use with the US military long after the war, possibly up to and during the Vietnam period.

The hole is obviously non standard.

It's unlikely to have seen service in WW2 but who knows it could have been to Korea or Vietnam. With a bit of restoration and an appropriate liner, you could have a nice representation of a typical GI helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    Try and find a book called "Helmets of the ETO"and the companion series, all about the M1 helmet. Fantastic book.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement