Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed --- Java-----SCJP Exam

Options
  • 21-07-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

Having completed my degree in Business Computing in 2004, I have since been working in the field of Software Testing and Data Analysis.

I have decided however that my passion is in Java Programming and would like to get into this field of work. I am prepared for the drop in salary thay may be associated with such a career change.

I was fairly profeicient in my use of Java in college and have been advised to do a SCJP course to get myself back up to speed with the syntax.

The information I need is basically the following
    • Can I simply take the exam in one of the test centres? I have the books and material at home and work shift work, therefore I would not be interested in signing up to a course.
    • What are the costs involved in taking the exam
    • Where can the exam be taken in Dublin and do I have to register with Sun or the College in question?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. What little information that is online tends to be either too old or unclear.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'm working towards doing the exam myself. You can do the exam without signing up for course or lectures. There are a few exam centers around the country - have a look here: http://www6.pearsonvue.com/Dispatcher?application=VTCLocator&action=actStartApp&v=W2L&cid=554. Cost of exam by itself is €238.00 - you do have to register with Pearson to arrange for the exam.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 consafe0

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info :-) Hope the study is going well for you!!

Do you know how often are they run per year? and do they go under some sort of different name other than the scjp now they are linked with Oracle?

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

consafe0 wrote: »
    Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info :-) Hope the study is going well for you!!

Do you know how often are they run per year? and do they go under some sort of different name other than the scjp now they are linked with Oracle?

Thanks again for your help.

They're run whenever you schedule it for.
    Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 consafe0

Thanks,

Do I purchase the voucher at roacle for redemption at pearson vue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

All the info is on the site. You book and pay online and show up at the time you booked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement