Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Swilly

Options
  • 21-07-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭

Anyone living near it's waters is bound to have heard the sad news that a young fella has lost their life to it :( Stay safe people.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'm from Rathmullan originally and I was down at the weekend, the whole town is in a state of shock. Incredibly sad when something like this happens but more so that it’s a young lad that was celebrating a birthday.

The whole town seems to be chipping in helping by leaving down tea and sandwiches for the rescuers and going out searching the beaches and areas themselves. It really is amazing the effort and resources that are put into an operation like this and I gotta take my hat off to everyone involved.

And I’d like to mention that for the next few weeks the beachcomber bar pub quiz (on Wednesdays as far as I know) are raising money for the rescue services involved. Everyone welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Naval service divers there today, 2 dives done already. Poor visibility reported and very strong currents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭swillybabe

search is still ongoing... really sad. massive search operation underway involving both the state and voluntary services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Just got a text from my Ma, seems they found the body

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

danniemcq wrote: »
    Just got a text from my Ma, seems they found the body

RIP

apparently found 30 yards from the pier Ive just heard...so sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14266997

The body of a missing Londonderry teenager has been recovered from Lough Swilly in County Donegal.
    Sean McNair, 17, went missing after he jumped off Rathmullan Pier, near Malin Head, last Saturday.
    The Malin Head coastguard said his body was recovered at about 1530 BST on Saturday.
    Diving teams, the coastguard and local people had been taking part in searches for the teenager's body for the last week.
    On Monday, his mother said she wanted to get her son "out of the water" so she can lay him to rest in Derry.
    Manus Patten, from Malin Head coastguard, has been part of the search team.
    "It has been a week and every day there is a huge response from the coastguard, people from Derry and locally, people from Rathmullan, doing their best to resolve this problem," he said.
    "A lot of people are willing to come out and give a helping hand."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement